Anonymous Agent Rips Jerry: I Don't Think They Want To Win Above All

DallasInDC

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”
I 100% agree with this sentiment. Early in his ownership I think JJ was all in on winning and was willing to do what needed to be done including listening to the experts (i.e. Jimmy). because success came so easy (both quick and continuous) I think he thought it was much easier than it really is to achieve and maintain (thus comments like any 1 of 500 coaches could do it). As he tried to prove that theory true that he was a great GM, and any coach could achieve it, he realized that the brand was much greater than results. With that knowledge he has run the team as a marketer and not a GM with the express intent of building the value of the franchise over on the field success. Now that he has gotten older his focus is 1) doing things his way to prove everyone he is a "football expert" and 2) maximizing profitability and cashflow.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
It may take 2-3 sub .500 seasons but at least we’d have hope that there’s a rebuild in process not status quo…just stay relevant. I just want something to give me hope. I see nothing but a franchise QB that can turn it around. We need a difference maker at the most important position on the field. ATTEMPT to get one…please!
I think this makes sense for other "normal" run teams that has a structure with roles and responsibilities aligned to the coaching/GM roles and an accountability structure. However, in the cowboy's world I think this thinking is shortsighted. you put too much faith in 1) them making the right decision when selecting a QB (recent history shows how bad that would have been (i.e. wanting Manziel, Paxton Lynch, Connor cook...or even further back thinking Quincy carter, Chutch, and Drew Henson were 1st worthy QBs...Jerrys words not mine) ...or that if he did select the right QB that he would put all the parts around him to give him the best chance to succeed....which he didn't do for Romo or Dak. (remember he took the same approach with Romo...I expect you to achieve more success with less talent around you).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”

They don’t and signing Dak will confirm that.

CowboysRule

Reaction score

Who even really cares at this point? Jerry is the owner and has been for years now. He's not going anywhere until he dies. You either accept him or move on to another team because he's not stepping down. You can stop watching, buying the merch, and going to the games. You know what that will change? Nothing. Jerry definitely cares about winning, you can't convince me otherwise. He just wants to win his way and with his people. And if you think, "Oh, he's old, he'll be dead soon", Stephen is ready to take over and continue as we are currently.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jones was recently questioned by Clarence Hill Jr. of AllDLLs.com about potentially hiring a proper general manager instead of doing the job himself, he has pushed back in profane fashion:
"I've done it all. So I have an ordinate amount of confidence that f--k, if anybody can figure out how to get this s--t done, I can figure out how to get it done. I've been there every which way from Sunday, and have I busted my *** a bunch, a bunch. And there's nobody living that's out cutting and shooting that can't give you a bunch of times they busted their ***. So hell no, there's nobody that could f--king come in here and do all the contracts … and be a GM any better than I can. Plus, I'm where the buck stops. When it f--ks up, I got to cover it. And so there you can't give anybody enough. Can't give. There's nobody can do it."

Is someone going to tell him it beens 29 years and he still hasn't "figured out" much ?

Mikexike

Reaction score
Realistically, Jerry hasn't been bad when it comes to fielding a team. Its the players that can't handle the pressure come playoff time.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I 100% agree with this sentiment. Early in his ownership I think JJ was all in on winning and was willing to do what needed to be done including listening to the experts (i.e. Jimmy). because success came so easy (both quick and continuous) I think he thought it was much easier than it really is to achieve and maintain (thus comments like any 1 of 500 coaches could do it). As he tried to prove that theory true that he was a great GM, and any coach could achieve it, he realized that the brand was much greater than results. With that knowledge he has run the team as a marketer and not a GM with the express intent of building the value of the franchise over on the field success. Now that he has gotten older his focus is 1) doing things his way to prove everyone he is a "football expert" and 2) maximizing profitability and cashflow.
I think alot of the bolded was pre cap era.... I don't think he would say "Any 1 of 500 coaches can do it" today

rags747

Reaction score
Notice that said Agent chose to go Nameless. He can Freak Off and go have a circle jerk with his looser budds.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What was yours?

See also: Every owner in professional sports.
They all want to make money first.

There is not a single owner in sports who wants to lose money to win Championships. Clark Hunt was one of the driving forces in allowing private equity to invest in NFL teams even though the Chiefs are the most successful on-field product in the league. He's also commented about how Taylor Swift has grown their fan base.