Anonymous Agent Rips Jerry: I Don't Think They Want To Win Above All

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I think alot of the bolded was pre cap era.... I don't think he would say "Any 1 of 500 coaches can do it" today
True, FA as it is now not in place, but I believe plan B free agency was in place and he was aware of the direction the negotiations were going with the players assoc. even still the way he approached FA out the box, I think he thought everyone wanted to be in Dallas with FA and that he held the advantage in getting the FA he wanted.

Of course, today, he would say I am the only GM that can get Dallas to a SB.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
True.

I think my comment was overly simplistic.

The majority of revenue is shared in the NFL, and there are several other factors that can limit a team's revenue.

But team performance does factor into revenue.

An overly simplistic example: If you're team consistently sucks, it's hard to raise ticket prices.
The only way it factors into revenue, really, is ticket sales. But the amount that ticket sales would be influenced by being good (i.e. playoff games) is tiny. Ticket sales revenue is something like 15-20% overall revenue, so attendance swings really aren't making much of a difference on the bottom line.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Jerry doesn't have a plan. He either tries to duplicate what the last winner did or ask a dozen football minds what the best thing to do is, and then that becomes his plan. Then he wants to piece the coaching staff with his favorites instead of trusting a coach to build his own. His is reactive vs proactive and it sometimes hurts progress (Sticking with carrot because he let Peyton get away) (Never drafting linemen before 3rd round until he shatters his QB).

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The only way it factors into revenue, really, is ticket sales. But the amount that ticket sales would be influenced by being good (i.e. playoff games) is tiny. Ticket sales revenue is something like 15-20% overall revenue, so attendance swings really aren't making much of a difference on the bottom line.
it's that TV/streaming money/gambling

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”
If Jerry really wanted to win he would step down.

He even said the owner should fire the GM.

So yeah, the game has passed him by,
Many years ago.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
In part due to the country club environment they are surrounded with.

They've been the softest team in the NFL for 30 years.
How do the Cowboys have any more of a country club environment than any other NFL team? Remember when Parcells came in and basically made the locker room an uncomfortable place to be? We won the Super Bowl that year right? Oh wait, no, no we didn't.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Not attendance swings, but rather ticket pricing is what I'm getting at here.

You're right it's like 15% of revenue, and 60% goes to the home team, 40% to the visitor.

But ya know what? I realize that my conclusions are coming from some throwaway info I've heard before, but don't know if I ever found a source to back it up.

I'm going to look into the history of price increases to see if there is a correlation to winning and increased $.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
The media finally caught up to what fans have been saying for two plus decades. Jerry has never understood how to build a team in free agency from the very beginning.

sacase

Reaction score
All the money in the world can't buy you what we really want, that's a championship. It's what these players work/train hard for. As fans who love this team, we deserve it also
Honestly it's about money for everyone. I feel most players want a big contract over winning a SB. Jerry wants a SB, but he also wants the fans engaged so he makes bug money. That's why we will sign Dak, Dak wins enough games to give casual fans hope. Hope means big money. The NFL is a business for everyone. How many times do you have to hear players say it?

Sydla

Reaction score
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-nfl-agent-i-think-the-game-has-passed-him-by

In an survey of player agents about the state of the NFL conducted by The Athletic's Ben Standig, one agent speaking about Jones believes "the game has passed him by."

"I don't think they want to win above all," the agent said when ranking the Cowboys as the most unstable franchise in the league. "Jerry (Jones) wants to turn profits and make headlines.”
This should surprise no one who is paying attention.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Businessman Jerry figured out long ago that business comes 1st that's why he was a major factor getting the league cap in place. He could have kept his power team together and won but it was more important to even the playing field so the league, owners and players could record record profits year over year.