Anonymous NFL Executive had harsh words for Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’d define a Franchise QB, which isn’t necessarily Elite, who receives a second contract.

Franchise QB’s aren’t always expected to carry a team. They are just enough to discontinue looking for another starting QB and why you offer them a second contract. The better the Franchise QB the easier it is to build around.

I’d argue if a Franchise QB is enough to lead you to divisional titles and playoffs it’s basically a QB you continue attempting to build around regardless the disappointment and frustration in playoffs.
So, it's a QB that's: not necessarily elite, that cant necessarily be relied upon to carry a team, you cant build around (despite not being able to in the preceding 8 year) but he can beat up on a weak division (that's getting stronger), satisfied getting the play-offs (hello Jerry)....that's tantamount to saying you can HOPE......whilst using a fifth of the Cap resources.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The alternative to become a team looking for another Franchise QB however frustrated we are presents no immediate guarantees. I understand some fans are a SB of Bust type fans but from a business standpoint most teams are going to choose a consistent playoff caliber QB over the unknown.
Is that you again Jerry?? You're seriously strawmanning if you dismiss Dak's distractors as being SB or bust. If he could overcome a deficit in any play-off game I may be able to buy the HOPE you're selling. This is the central premise to pretty much EVERY post that mentions moving on (from a QB that just doesnt have the composure to lead when behind especially when the time's ticking down).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
And yes, dysfunctional leadership who lucked into Romo and Dak. Romo was an undrafted QB and Dak a 4th round pick who wasn’t necessarily drafted to be the heir apparent.

I’d argue they both fell into their lap. While they probably haven’t been good enough to lead the team to more success , which many Franchise QB’s who aren’t Elite without greater supporting cast , we’d probably have been more of a bottom feeder until we found our next Franchise QB.
So they are going 2 for 2. Technically you could make an argument that the (extremely limited) Cooper Rush was obtained and in his only prolonged exposure to the NFL, went 4-1. Indeed, if McClay and team has a gift it's in drafting O-Line.

The (my) alternative argument is that if that QB isnt a generational talent, finding that Franchise QB is easier to do if he's walking into an offense that gives him a chance to develop (ala Dak and Purdy).

Remembering i'm a fan that would give Dak a career ending contract (to enable a couple of years of potential ALL-IN behind a severe restructure). Some of these arguments, supporting Dak are coming across as desperate, especially in light of the distinct splits between Regular / Play-off performances.

You can deflect all you like, but you cant turn a blind eye to the MASSIVE hole in his game, this inability to rise above the pressure of a deficit ,in crucial moments, and allowing his composure to crumble after every play that goes wrong. Dak needs to accept this and acknowledge that he needs a pretty much dominant defense to keep him in the game whilst he hopefully regains that composure......to do that HE needs to accept a longer (even career ending) contract, otherwise, whether he's Franchise or not, we cant manipulate the CAP (and his Dead Money) to succeed and may as well move on. (imho).

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So they are going 2 for 2. Technically you could make an argument that the (extremely limited) Cooper Rush was obtained and in his only prolonged exposure to the NFL, went 4-1. Indeed, if McClay and team has a gift it's in drafting O-Line.

The (my) alternative argument is that if that QB isnt a generational talent, finding that Franchise QB is easier to do if he's walking into an offense that gives him a chance to develop (ala Dak and Purdy).

Remembering i'm a fan that would give Dak a career ending contract (to enable a couple of years of potential ALL-IN behind a severe restructure). Some of these arguments, supporting Dak are coming across as desperate, especially in light of the distinct splits between Regular / Play-off performances.

You can deflect all you like, but you cant turn a blind eye to the MASSIVE hole in his game, this inability to rise above the pressure of a deficit ,in crucial moments, and allowing his composure to crumble after every play that goes wrong. Dak needs to accept this and acknowledge that he needs a pretty much dominant defense to keep him in the game whilst he hopefully regains that composure......to do that HE needs to accept a longer (even career ending) contract, otherwise, whether he's Franchise or not, we cant manipulate the CAP (and his Dead Money) to succeed and may as well move on. (imho).
No doubt his performance in the playoffs has been dreadful on the most part. I’ve often spoke out on his weaknesses. I agree with much of your assessment. My intention here is to place in context with the rest of the league and obstacles with our leadership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Is that you again Jerry?? You're seriously strawmanning if you dismiss Dak's distractors as being SB or bust. If he could overcome a deficit in any play-off game I may be able to buy the HOPE you're selling. This is the central premise to pretty much EVERY post that mentions moving on (from a QB that just doesnt have the composure to lead when behind especially when the time's ticking down).
I’m not attempting to sell hope. I’m selling the reality of the NFL. There simply isn’t enough Elite QB’s to go around in the NFL. Most of the league has to build around lesser Franchise QB’s assuming they can find one.

Many franchises have been able to build around less than Elite QB’s ,which we’ve had a couple this era , to at least make a championship or SB appearance. A few have even won. That’s where I’d argue we have our greatest obstacle to overcome.

Not only can we not rely for this leadership to make sounder decisions managing their rosters and evaluating and overpaying talent they meddle and undermine their coaching staffs. It’s much to overcome with a less than Elite QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, it's a QB that's: not necessarily elite, that cant necessarily be relied upon to carry a team, you cant build around (despite not being able to in the preceding 8 year) but he can beat up on a weak division (that's getting stronger), satisfied getting the play-offs (hello Jerry)....that's tantamount to saying you can HOPE......whilst using a fifth of the Cap resources.
Ultimately those decisions evaluating talent and paying accordingly responsibilities fall on our leadership. it appears you’re misinterpreting my basic message here which isn’t defending our QB which I’ve been critical of.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No doubt his performance in the playoffs has been dreadful on the most part. I’ve often spoke out on his weaknesses. I agree with much of your assessment. My intention here is to place in context with the rest of the league and obstacles with our leadership.
Agree, but I really dont care about:
Franchise QB or Not
MVP votes
Elite or not
Top 10 /Top 5 or Not.
.....and the most egregious Dak or Tony.

It's all about what happens on the field. Indeed, look at comparing Goff to Dak.....if you looked at a direct comparison then Dak wins, hands down. However, at least with Goff, you scheme and plan to counter his (extreme) weakness vrs Pass Rush.

Dak's problem is this inability to break down a team that sits in cover-2 when it takes a lead (ala Jimmie Wards two quotes Jan 2020 and 2021). To overcome this we need, a:
Defense that can prevent any TD (and certainly two consecutive)
Defense that can stop the run .....giving Dak more time to recover composure.
Oline and running game - Even then, the running game wasnt to blame for GB.....Dak chose to go pass route.....maybe to expedite the situation as he's aware of his failings.
A WR2 that he's comfortable at using, to go along with CD.

Even with ALL of the above, Dak would still need to execute, it's as if that composure goes as soon as the pressure is dialed up to 11. His second half after being down 27-0 down was armchair Dak. Another aspect, that's somewhat overlooked, is the SF 1.0......Dak was able to claw back from 23-7 and got us to 6pts down.....but then had to get out of the armchair and failed in the two game winning drives.

Im not saying Dak takes a pay cut, by any means, but if he wants to win, and wants to win in Dallas, he needs to give that longer contract to help restructure and build those other areas of weakness (Yep, with a proper GM......maybe that could be his negotiating point).

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ultimately those decisions evaluating talent and paying accordingly responsibilities fall on our leadership. it appears you’re misinterpreting my basic message here which isn’t defending our QB which I’ve been critical of.
Leadership, mentioned in last sentence of above post.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I’m not attempting to sell hope. I’m selling the reality of the NFL. There simply isn’t enough Elite QB’s to go around in the NFL. Most of the league has to build around lesser Franchise QB’s assuming they can find one.

Many franchises have been able to build around less than Elite QB’s ,which we’ve had a couple this era , to at least make a championship or SB appearance. A few have even won. That’s where I’d argue we have our greatest obstacle to overcome.
We agree there. My position is, if you havent got an Elite QB, dont pay one to pretend. As there is , there is an alternative, being played out in SF and Phillie, behind a lesser QB (even though the Eagles are killing themselves in 2028).

Ken

Reaction score
That isnt what he said.

We know you think dak himself did not play epically bad against gb....but he did.
Is this the part where we get kurt warner clip?
He completely agreed with this statement: "He is literally statistically the worst to ever do it minimum 7 starts"

So ya he did.

J_Allen

Reaction score
And that's a huge problem, but an even bigger problem is he wants to be paid like he does show up in big games.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He completely agreed with this statement: "He is literally statistically the worst to ever do it minimum 7 starts"

So ya he did.
You are mixing up team stats and individual stats.
Dak is actually epically bad in the playoffs. So are the Cowboys.

You the same guy that claims Dak is an MVP "runner up" of the whole NFL?

While giving the other team 14 easy points./

NOT.."mvp" status...can we agree on THAT?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree, but I really dont care about:
Franchise QB or Not
MVP votes
Elite or not
Top 10 /Top 5 or Not.
.....and the most egregious Dak or Tony.

It's all about what happens on the field. Indeed, look at comparing Goff to Dak.....if you looked at a direct comparison then Dak wins, hands down. However, at least with Goff, you scheme and plan to counter his (extreme) weakness vrs Pass Rush.

Dak's problem is this inability to break down a team that sits in cover-2 when it takes a lead (ala Jimmie Wards two quotes Jan 2020 and 2021). To overcome this we need, a:
Defense that can prevent any TD (and certainly two consecutive)
Defense that can stop the run .....giving Dak more time to recover composure.
Oline and running game - Even then, the running game wasnt to blame for GB.....Dak chose to go pass route.....maybe to expedite the situation as he's aware of his failings.
A WR2 that he's comfortable at using, to go along with CD.

Even with ALL of the above, Dak would still need to execute, it's as if that composure goes as soon as the pressure is dialed up to 11. His second half after being down 27-0 down was armchair Dak. Another aspect, that's somewhat overlooked, is the SF 1.0......Dak was able to claw back from 23-7 and got us to 6pts down.....but then had to get out of the armchair and failed in the two game winning drives.

Im not saying Dak takes a pay cut, by any means, but if he wants to win, and wants to win in Dallas, he needs to give that longer contract to help restructure and build those other areas of weakness (Yep, with a proper GM......maybe that could be his negotiating point).
It’s not up to our QB or any player to manage the Cap. That’s on our FO and leadership. If they don’t think they can build a better team around him with his contract then they need to move on.

And I’d argue winning isn’t as high a priority for the owners and players as it is for fans. This is a business first and making money is the priority. And why most players will continue bolting for lesser teams for a bigger contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We agree there. My position is, if you havent got an Elite QB, dont pay one to pretend. As there is , there is an alternative, being played out in SF and Phillie, behind a lesser QB (even though the Eagles are killing themselves in 2028).
I tend to agree in not ponying up to these QB’s who aren’t Elite. But in order to move on from you must have someone at least similar in ability to take over.

That’s the situation most of these teams get into. Do they decide to overpay a QB who has been enough to take them to playoffs and continue trying to build a better team around them or basically start over every 4-5 years for the unknown.

It’s why I’d recommend to continue drafting QB’s . If you do hit on that Elite QB then the QB’s you continue drafting either become solid backups or trade bait to move on to another team seeking a QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What the Cowboys did in 1989 is the example I’d set forth even if you don’t use 2 top picks in same draft.

While Troy became our starter Walsh became excellent trade bait eventually bringing a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick which landed us Russel Maryland and Erik Williams.

And why I’d continue drafting QB’s until you’re certain you have an Elite QB for basically the rest of his career.

Mcsports

Reaction score
Who the hell is this mystery NFL executive? He describes Dak as we used to describe another NFL QB, John Elway. He never did anything until he did. I hope Dak can be so fortunate.
Never did anything.....
I guess you missed "The Drive" that Elway orchestrated at the age of 26 to land in the Super Bowl.
Dak will be 31 this season. He hasn't sniffed an NFC title game.