Another week of uneven officiating

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
It is very irritating that the officials call hand checking early in the games and then on the Dez pass at the end of the game they ignore a push in the back. The inconsistent calls makes the games random since on any given play the players, coaches, and fans don't know what to expect.

This has got to stop! The refs are swinging games and are part of the outcome which they aren't supposed to be.

not gonna get into a call costing us the game as they've given us games also. but it did seem that when williams "pushed off" 2 weeks ago and it was called on him, it was in the same manner dez got pushed away - not that bad but points out again - inconsistencies.

close judgement calls will go either way and i'm not sure you can fix that. not even sure how you'd try.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I grow so tired of our fan base acting like there's some grand anti-Cowboys conspiracy. Grow up, people.

all i could think while trying to bypass this lunacy was "there was only ONE shooter!!!!!"

this season sucks. got it. it's NOTHING we hoped for, were promised, or were ready to deal with much less comprehend. but do we really have to make it that much worse by pretending our suckages blame lies elsewhere?

i don't care who we lose as a player because to me the coaches have lost this team and have failed 7 times in a row at showing any ability to "coach" through adversity.

until that volume knob gets addressed it's going to be hard to "hear" the rest of the story.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I grow so tired of our fan base acting like there's some grand anti-Cowboys conspiracy. Grow up, people.

Yeah. The NFL is certainly not anti-Cowboy. Jerry's team is the biggest money maker in the league. It's nothing but good for the NFL when Dallas wins.

I do think NFL rules and officiating are a mess, though, all the way around. And, watching Sunday's game, it's not hard to understand why someone would think there's some bias in officiating against the boys in silver and blue. There were a bunch of ticky tack defensive holding/illegal contact/PI calls, and then nothing when Dez gets shoved in the back on one of the most crucial plays of the game.

VACowboy

Reaction score
PS: If anyone got screwed Sunday, it was the NYG. I don't think officials or anyone else in the NFL knows what a catch is.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Heath was holding and so was the cb on the other side. Dez was pushed but if he was not going to go for the ball, he needed to sell the push more. None of that matters if our overpaid #1 WR catches a perfectly thrown ball on 3rd down with 2.5 minutes left and a 3 point lead.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
the Heath call decided the game and it didn't affect the play

I thought it was possibly with the five yards you're allowed. Maybe that's why he did it. Either way it had no bearing on the play and was one of several turnover saving or turnover on downs penalties.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
PS: If anyone got screwed Sunday, it was the NYG. I don't think officials or anyone else in the NFL knows what a catch is.

Most of this "catch/no-catch" business has come about because of Blandino's overturn of the Dez catch last year. When he erroneously overturned that catch, he painted himself (and league officials, in general) into a corner. I have see numerous catches this year (by numerous teams) that should have (and prior to the Dez ruling would have) been ruled as complete (there were at least two yesterday). But because Blandino knows the spotlight is on him from his overturn of the onfield call against Dez, he and his band of merrymen are calling anything the gets knocked loose at any point an incompletion (I am slightly exaggerating here).
The rule for determining a catch HAS to be changed this offseason. In the past, they've talked about not changing it because they wanted to avoid "unintended consequences"...well, I wonder if the total hot pile of horse **** they have now is what they "intended". Hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar business is this inept at managing such an important part of the game.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Most of this "catch/no-catch" business has come about because of Blandino's overturn of the Dez catch last year. When he erroneously overturned that catch, he painted himself (and league officials, in general) into a corner. I have see numerous catches this year (by numerous teams) that should have (and prior to the Dez ruling would have) been ruled as complete (there were at least two yesterday). But because Blandino knows the spotlight is on him from his overturn of the onfield call against Dez, he and his band of merrymen are calling anything the gets knocked loose at any point an incompletion (I am slightly exaggerating here).
The rule for determining a catch HAS to be changed this offseason. In the past, they've talked about not changing it because they wanted to avoid "unintended consequences"...well, I wonder if the total hot pile of horse **** they have now is what they "intended". Hard to believe that a multi-billion dollar business is this inept at managing such an important part of the game.

A multi-billion dollar sports league that can't afford full-time officials.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
:laugh:

For Pete's sake, look at the clock. 2 whole seconds. Even if we're incredibly generous and assume that it had just ticked from 1:05 to 1:04, and was milliseconds away from flipping over to 1:01, we're still talking a maximum of 4 seconds between the infraction and the flag hitting the ground.

How quickly should a flag be on the field after an infraction has occurred? 3 seconds, 2 seconds or less?

You can't even say where it was thrown from or when. It was thrown like a friggin lawn dart. Assuming we see the apex, the time from when it was thrown to when it hits the ground will be double the amount of time it's in the shot, which would mean it must have been thrown prior to it being apparent that there was a fumble. It's not like the ref is tethered above the field just out of the camera shot aiming a pneumatic t-shirt cannon with flag loaded. Dude's probably 20-30 yards away and he's only working with an arm as strong as Brad Johnson.

Of all the ridiculous referee claims I've seen, this has to rank pretty high up the list. People aren't even unhappy with a bad call. Seriously, upset because the ref doesn't have an arm like Randy Johnson that would allow him to fire that bean bag into the turf at 100 mph. Gimme a break.

Has this team fallen so far we are watching the All-22 and breaking down trajectory of flags?

This may not be an all-time low, butI can't remember a season with expectations so high and results so bad.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
the Heath call decided the game and it didn't affect the play

I wouldn't say that. If Heath had not grabbed the receiver, it might have affected Winston's decision. He clearly interfered when he didn't have to, just as the Bucs clearly interfered/made contact with Bryant on the interception.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Officiating has been bad all year. Not just for Cowboys games. But, in general. Completely inconsistent. Sunday Nights game was a joke too. They need to either lay back on so many rules. Or, get some new blood in there..

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Sure officiating has been a bit of a joke, but it's not limited to the Cowboys by any stretch of the imagination. Frankly, the Cowboys are doing little to help the situation. Heath mugged the guy and didnt really need to since he had help behind him.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Officiating has been bad all year. Not just for Cowboys games. But, in general. Completely inconsistent. Sunday Nights game was a joke too. They need to either lay back on so many rules. Or, get some new blood in there..

Changing or simplifying poorly written rules would bring about "unintended consequences". Things must stay as they are.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
People can continue stating the obvious about bad officiating league wide. I'll stand by my statement that you won't see calls that are as bad as some against us. I watch most games. The pretend timeout by Seattle, the Street offensive Pi, and the no call late hit on Romo in the first Giants game are in a league of their own.
Conspiracy? no. Bias? Sure.

31smackdown

Reaction score
That last flag really surprised me on Heath. The refs usually don't throw it unless it affects the play directly in that situation. Winston was already running at that point and it did almost seem like the flag came out when he fumbled. It just seemed a little off. I wonder if it was chosen as a point of emphasis this week with the some of the calls I saw in other games. The thing is they throw that one and the same guy, or was it a different end line ref?, doesn't throw it in the other endzone on the last play to Dez. Sometimes I feel like they don't want to give a team 60 yards on one play at the end of games, but if you throw the first one, then you need to throw the last one. I mean did he really think that Dez or any receiver in the NFL just runs by the ball? Dez screwed up by relying on the ref to make the call and not fighting back to the ball. As has been stated, it's been inconsistent at best and can be viewed as manipulative because of that.

Everson24

Reaction score
People can continue stating the obvious about bad officiating league wide. I'll stand by my statement that you won't see calls that are as bad as some against us. I watch most games. The pretend timeout by Seattle, the Street offensive Pi, and the no call late hit on Romo in the first Giants game are in a league of their own.
Conspiracy? no. Bias? Sure.

I agree that other teams get bad calls like we do too. And those teams just happen to be playing the Steelers and the Giants.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I usually don't complain about the calls but I personally do feel that it has something to do with the perception of what has gone down with Hardy. Its like we are paying for it now with the refs. Granted, not why we lost. But the game was over after that Winston fumble. Should've been game over. You call the Heath play? Fine. But then you miss Dez's obvious push in the back?

I don't believe their's a big conspiracy. I just think they are swallowing their whistle. And i'm suppose to believe that the Bucc's offensive line is so GREAT that they didn't commit one holding penalty?

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
I don't see how advocating for a reason why you should have won can be defined as a "loser culture." To me, fighting for a reason we should have won is less of a loser culture than "We suck. That's why we lost. Oh well."

Why? Because it's more excuses. And after a while they get old and tired.

You want to know why we lost? Because we weren't good enough. We haven't been good enough for the last 7 games.

So when I hear excuses like these and the constant blaming on the refs this is what I hear..

http://i297.***BLOCKED***/albums/mm218/timbenj/Funnies/Crybaby.gif