Anthony Brown and the absurd penalty game

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For all other games in 2022, Anthony Brown had 1 penalty for 5 yards.

In the Raiders game he had 4 penalties for 91 yards.

Even Cowboys hating NFL media types were criticizing the refs for that game.
Didn't he have several penalties against Tampa Bay in that first game? ...Maybe he just got burned a lot in that game. I just remember he had a really bad game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
PI is a always has been a judgment call and often times refs do not have the best of views on the play. PI is also one of the most controversial calls the refs make

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
That's why Belichick was asking the league to make PI calls reviewable.

Brown had two bad games and one bad half, the whole season. He actually graded out better than Diggs last year.

He's better in the slot than Lewis. And our secondary should be better next year with him moving back to the slot.

So what can Brown do for us?
What ever we need him to do. Because he can even play at FS if we need him too.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Here's my thing with Brown...he was a 6th round pick. He has vastly outplayed his draft status. I think the guy is a decent player that plays with toughness at CB. So I like the guy.

I agree. We've seen his entire career. He is what he is. A good player who will play hard ... but at times will go off the rails. Seems if he gets beaten due to speed or a top notch route runner, he panics & will revert to school yard techniques.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They say the younger Hochuli doesn’t have the guns his pappy did so he’s merely enhancing his basket with tube socks. Any port in a storm
You should know.....even though it's in writing....youre quite the orator.

:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just think many of the NFL refs are compromised with gambling
I think the NFL keeps a pretty close watch on that aspect of the game. One crooked ref and they're in deep. There are a lot of people that want to take shots at them.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Sometimes the way point spreads just happen to workout is amazing. You can't tell me these human beigns don't have temptation all around and 1 hasn't gave in.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Brown should not be a starter. Several of those penalties were clearly legit. Watch him against the Bucs and see how bad he was.

I agree that the penalties were legit, but disagree that he should not be a starter. He had two bad games, and the Bucs game was generally against a healthy Antonio Brown. Otherwise, Anthony Brown played 15 games as a very good starting DB.

The hope is that Kelvin Joseph comes and plays well, Brown starts in the slot and we have an excellent secondary. I don't see Brown as a major weakness on this defense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree that the penalties were legit, but disagree that he should not be a starter. He had two bad games, and the Bucs game was generally against a healthy Antonio Brown. Otherwise, Anthony Brown played 15 games as a very good starting DB.

The hope is that Kelvin Joseph comes and plays well, Brown starts in the slot and we have an excellent secondary. I don't see Brown as a major weakness on this defense.

i agree but I also anticipate this will be Brown last season in Dallas since he hits FA in 2023. I hope to see Diggs contract extended after next season and the play of Joseph will be critical as he must show himself as a legit CB in this league.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Here's my thing with Brown...he was a 6th round pick. He has vastly outplayed his draft status. I think the guy is a decent player that plays with toughness at CB. So I like the guy.
I agree that he has out played his draft status. He is fairly decent against the run and he always gives decent effort but he should not be a starter. The thing that pisses me off is he is supposed to be one of our faster players but guys run by him all the time.

Jarntt

Reaction score
I would love to see Joseph step up and win the starting job and the team cut Brown. We could use that cap space to help make this team better. Another example of signing our own mediocre player and not being surprised when the team doesn't get better

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Marcus Crock will be swooping in here very soon to call us conspiracy theorists in 3.2.1.

'Cause y'all facking are. Lol.

There are 22 players, 7 refs. Refs are not 100% with calls, therefore CONSPIRACY! It's whiny, victim emotion overriding logic in your favor every time. Forget about the ones where we benefit like below (ironically on Brown). For what it's worth, in the Raiders game Brown had 2 bad calls and 2 good calls but we get our share that are conveniently ignored.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
i agree but I also anticipate this will be Brown last season in Dallas since he hits FA in 2023. I hope to see Diggs contract extended after next season and the play of Joseph will be critical as he must show himself as a legit CB in this league.

Almost certainly. He'll be 29 I think and if he plays like he did last year should be able to get one more nice 3-4 year deal with some excellent gaurantees. Good for him.

Flamma

Reaction score
For all other games in 2022, Anthony Brown had 1 penalty for 5 yards.

In the Raiders game he had 4 penalties for 91 yards.

Even Cowboys hating NFL media types were criticizing the refs for that game.

The refs were bad overall in that game, but the penalties against Brown were not. He does what he usually does, play the WR, not the ball. When the WR puts his hands out to catch the ball, Brown will stick his hand in there to try and break it up. But most of these penalties the ball was underthrown. Brown just ran into the WR before the ball got there.

I remember a game against GB where Rodgers threw a back shoulder pass to the endzone. Brown broke up the first one, but Rodgers went right back to it, and got the second try. Why not? No chance of an interception. The ball has a better chance at hitting the back of Brown's head than his hands.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Despite the penalty issue, I don't think he's that good. I don't like his technique and believe we can upgrade him.