Video: Anthony Dorsett Jr. goes in on Joneses on lack of respect to Tony Dorsett

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i don't give a damn what any panel of "experts" tell me....i will ALWAYS believe tony dorsett was one of the 100 greatest players to ever put on the pads.
never thought i'd live to see tony dorsett under-rated.
anyone who saw him...knows.
he was one of the greatest...ever.
He's definitely Top 100 player in my book too. Any list that doesn't include him had better have a good explanation.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
All except Enterprise. If not for T'Pol, I never would have watched that one. But they did suck you right in with that shower scene in the first episode, didn't they? She could wear any jersey number she wants.
Enterprise was terrible the first 2 seasons.
Barely watchable.
Season 3 and 4 were much better.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I was always against numbers on the jerseys . But I do like the names. Hate that some colleges don’t put names . Maybe we should just put positions on the jersey like LT, LB, QB, RB, TE, CB, etc

Over time retiring numbers will limit numbers though. We could expand to 3 digit numbers . Like 911. 666. There’s some good 3 digit numbers out there :)

But I’m all for retiring numbers . I’m about traditions . How awesome the NBA retiring #6 for all teams . I really don’t want to see another #12 or #33 for the Cowboys.

I also like how the league has loosened restrictions on numbers per position they can wear. I’d be ok with a #69 at QB. Lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Retired #'s are dumb. We know who wore certain numbers.

The Yankees don't even have any single digit numbers available if I remember correctly because they retired all of them.

Yankees don't even put names on their jersey's either. So why would they care about numbers also.
Agree retiring them is dumb.

Also fun fact. The Yankees do not have a mascot. They did at one time. But the fans did not want a mascot, so they beat him up.

Hmmm....Rowdy....:muttley: (not advocating violence my any means) . :laugh:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Retiring numbers is, and always was, stupid.

It's a number. It's not the person. As if we don't know Lilly, Staubach, Emmitt, and Troy are retired.
A team retiring a number isn't about saying the number itself has some special quality, or that the player and the number are one entity, it's just a way to honor a player that contributed greatly to the organization. It's really no different than having a Ring of Honor, it's just harder to retire numbers in football than other sports because rosters are much larger and more numbers are needed.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of retiring numbers either.. Much better to go ring of honor IMHO.
I mean this franchise has had two ALL TIME players wear #22. If they had retired it for Hayes what number would Emmitt have worn?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ROH is for honoring the players and numbers. No need to retire numbers.

Seems to me Washington retires some number every year. They should be out of numbers. :laugh:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
No disrespect was ever intended toward Tony Dorsett. His kid needs to chill.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
A team retiring a number isn't about saying the number itself has some special quality, or that the player and the number are one entity, it's just a way to honor a player that contributed greatly to the organization. It's really no different than having a Ring of Honor, it's just harder to retire numbers in football than other sports because rosters are much larger and more numbers are needed.
Right, and we already have a RoH, so retiring numbers would be redundant.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No disrespect was ever intended toward Tony Dorsett. His kid needs to chill.
Of course it wasn't intended. Some people feel that if they, or someone they feel strongly about isn't lauded enough, it's disrespectful.

That said, I do feel like TD deserves as many accolades as anyone else who's ever played for the Cowboys.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Of course it wasn't intended. Some people feel that if they, or someone they feel strongly about isn't lauded enough, it's disrespectful.

That said, I do feel like TD deserves as many accolades as anyone else who's ever played for the Cowboys.
What more can Jerry do? Dorsett is in the RoH and the HoF?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What more can Jerry do? Dorsett is in the RoH and the HoF?
I agree. I'm just saying it does appear that his jersey number isn't as revered as some others. #33 should be unused, or should be reserved for potential HoF RBs, if that's how they treat #88.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't really worry about that stuff.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I agree. I'm just saying it does appear that his jersey number isn't as revered as some others. #33 should be unused, or should be reserved for potential HoF RBs, if that's how they treat #88.

Just playing devil's advocate. I don't really worry about that stuff.
I love playing devil's advocate. ;)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the old days when players were on the same team their whole careers with the same number, it meant more. #33 will always be Tony Dorsett to me, but I understand the numbers need to stay in circulation or you run out and end up with LBs wearing #33.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tony Dorsett is in the Cowboys Ring of Honor. There’s been no disrespect to him. The Cowboys have four numbers that are unofficially retired 74,12, 22 and 8. Bob Lily was the very first player the Cowboys ever drafted and is in the Hall of Fame. The Cowboys won their very first championship with Roger Staubach and he turned the Cowboys from bridesmaids into America’s Team. Jerry won his three championships which Troy Aikman as his QB. Emmitt Smith is the NFL’s all-time leading rusher. He won a rushing title, league MVP and Super Bowl MVP all in the same season. Jerry turned number 88 into a special number mainly because of Michael Irvin.

Obviously Jerry is going to have more of an affinity over his own players that helped lead the team to 3 championships. You can’t retire every great players number this organization his had. Randy White was one of the all-time great Cowboys but his number is worn by other players. It’s certainly not being disrespectful to him. It would be silly for every former Cowboys player to think they’re being disrespected because other players are wearing their number.