Video: Anthony Dorsett Jr. goes in on Joneses on lack of respect to Tony Dorsett

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry doesn't retire jersey numbers. Jerry really only cares about his star players from his time as owner of the team. Those are his guys. Landry guys are
second class to Jerry's guys.
The previous owners didn't retire numbers either. The Cowboys don't have any numbers declared as "retired", just some the team has chosen not to use over the years. That includes 2 players from prior to Jerry (Staubach & Lilly).

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do not think numbers should ever be retired.

I do fully support a "not available for a set amount of time" period though for star players such as 5-10 years depending on the player's history in the franchise.

I mean do fans really care if a player wears #8, #22 or #88 now? It has been so long, I just do not see it being disrespectful.

Beyond that though, I see no reason for retiring or even protecting player numbers.

You can still feature player names and numbers on banners if you want, just do not refer to them as "retired numbers" and instead call them "Team of Fame" for example.
Agreed. Personally I like the idea of having the best player at the position on the team carry on the legacy of the greats that wore the number before them. It establishes a tradition and an expectation for that player to live up to. When a WR gets to wear #88 for Dallas for example, the fans expect them to carry on the greatness of those that came before them.

Retiring the number makes them more easily forgettable in my opinion.

Reaction score
I do like the idea of restricting numbers to positions: 12 and 8 for QB's only. 22 and 33 for RB's only. 88 for WR's only

It is a good substitute for retiring numbers

zerofill

Reaction score
Sure, just like the USS Enterprise! :laugh:

We should just switch to binary
33 = 00110011 00110011

Better yet... let's go to blockchain.. give everyone a hash.
b8c6b4d75019af84105242529e5098ae1be8cbe3751ea1ba117864608edbe2da

We can retire a hash... they are all unique lol.

hehe

Blackrain

Reaction score
Exactly! Let each generation have their #88 for example (such as in your avatar) and let the older fans have their extended reverence for those numbers through new players who become stars while wearing those numbers.
You never watched Roger Staubach Bob Lily or Bob Hayes play in the moment or you would have the respect to keep their numbers sacred

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You never watched Roger Staubach Bob Lily or Bob Hayes play in the moment or you would have the respect to keep their numbers sacred
Every generation has their great memories of great players on their team. They had their time and they have all received countless accomplishments, recognitions, awards and achievements.

Someone else wearing their numbers many years later in no way diminishes or damages those memories or respect.

With players like Lamb, Bryant and Irvin all wearing #88, we still talk about all of them including Pearson.

I hear more about those receivers than I do about several other great players of the past because the continued use of their numbers keeps the mories and discussions of those former players active generation after generation.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get his point but there are some all times greats like Randy White who’s number isn’t protected. I don’t know what goes on personally between them but the number argument….I don’t see it.

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I like that the Cowboys don't retire numbers. It's kind of fun that they have multiple players in the hall of fame that wore the same number. They have two for 22 and 88 and they're going to have two for 54, 70, and 94.

Creeper

Reaction score
It is as if the Joneses run the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame!

I am a little biased as Tony Dorsett was one of my all time favorite Cowboys. I would watch games just to see him play. Retire his number or at least do something to recognize what it means to the Cowboys and their history.

And Dorsett is in the Ring of Honor so there is that.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree completely with Tonys son his number should not just be given out.

People that didn't watch him in the moment can't appreciate what he did for this team.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Agreed. Personally I like the idea of having the best player at the position on the team carry on the legacy of the greats that wore the number before them. It establishes a tradition and an expectation for that player to live up to. When a WR gets to wear #88 for Dallas for example, the fans expect them to carry on the greatness of those that came before them.

Retiring the number makes them more easily forgettable in my opinion.

Maybe forgettable to the casual fan but I can still remember being in my '70s Z28 Camaro listening to AM radio when Tony Dorsett was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

That was a top 10 moment in Cowboys history for sure.

Tony's number should be treated with the same respect as the other numbers that are not given out

GrizCowboy

Reaction score
There's an argument that this is actually better in that if there is never another good #33 that wears the star, it will forever be known as Tony Dorsett. If you ask who was 88 for the Cowboys you would get many different answers.

Seems like much to do about nothing. TD is why I am a Cowboys fan, but that number is not why. He is revered in the ring of honor and in the HOF, that should be enough.

RS12

Reaction score
I just think TD doesn't sell enough jerseys for Jerry to care.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Maybe forgettable to the casual fan but I can still remember being in my '70s Z28 Camaro listening to AM radio when Tony Dorsett was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

That was a top 10 moment in Cowboys history for sure.

Tony's number should be treated with the same respect as the other numbers that are not given out
Or at least only given out to potentially special players, the way #88 is.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's an argument that this is actually better in that if there is never another good #33 that wears the star, it will forever be known as Tony Dorsett. If you ask who was 88 for the Cowboys you would get many different answers.

Seems like much to do about nothing. TD is why I am a Cowboys fan, but that number is not why. He is revered in the ring of honor and in the HOF, that should be enough.
On the other hand, if you were to ask most of the younger generations who #33 is, they'd either cite the current player or look it up on their phone. If #33 was only given to special players, the commentators would remind everyone each time the current player was mentioned, much like #88.