Any big 'ol DTs in this draft that are worth a hoot?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Fat, run-plugging DTs that are of any substance are the biggest draft unicorns. People think you just draft a 325+ lbs guy and you're good.

Every year, there's some huge dude (usually from Utah or BYU) that people want and you never hear from them again.

The last truly big DT that's made something of an impact or shown promise is Dexter Lawrence out of Clemson from a few years back. Maybe an argument can be made for Vita Vea, but even that is debatable.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Fat, run-plugging DTs that are of any substance are the biggest draft unicorns. People think you just draft a 325+ lbs guy and you're good.

Every year, there's some huge dude (usually from Utah or BYU) that people want and you never hear from them again.

The last truly big DT that's made something of an impact or shown promise is Dexter Lawrence out of Clemson from a few years back. Maybe an argument can be made for Vita Vea, but even that is debatable.
Well if they are doing their job, you shouldn't hear about them, but his presence should free the players around him.

cnuball21

Reaction score

One of my biggest pet peeves of our draft philosophy over the last several years is drafting the “quick twitch” DTs that can’t anchor. I get the idea of wanting pass rush upside...but if they can’t stop the run who cares?

Shelvin appears to be someone that could help and maybe the kid from FL but I need to watch him more.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
One of my biggest pet peeves of our draft philosophy over the last several years is drafting the “quick twitch” DTs that can’t anchor. I get the idea of wanting pass rush upside...but if they can’t stop the run who cares?

Shelvin appears to be someone that could help and maybe the kid from FL but I need to watch him more.

I want to draft multiple. Would even consider starting both of them if we are playing the 3-4 in the base.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
For the 500th time, DTs don't solve the issues with the run defense. LB is a much, much bigger problem. All LVE has to is maintain the gap he starts in and this gets nothing, despite the fact that Crawford is playing a 0.

cnuball21

Reaction score
For the 500th time, DTs don't solve the issues with the run defense. LB is a much, much bigger problem. All LVE has to is maintain the gap he starts in and this gets nothing, despite the fact that Crawford is playing a 0.

It's a collective effort. Quality DT play doesn't solve run defense problems, but actually having guys that can anchor and make plays against the run certainly helps.

I don't think it's fair to expect the LBs to be 100% responsible for good run defense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's a collective effort. Quality DT play doesn't solve run defense problems, but actually having guys that can anchor and make plays against the run certainly helps.

I don't think it's fair to expect the LBs to be 100% responsible for good run defense.
Holistically, no, but the play above is 100% on the LB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Holistically, no, but the play above is 100% on the LB.

Sure...and LVE admitted that he made mistakes in yesterdays game. I'm 1 gillion percent on board with upgrading Jaylon, and heck, I"m even having concerns about LVE at this point but I think the answer is to add talent at both DT AND LB.

If we add a stud like Parsons and still get trash DT play the run defense is still going to be bad.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Sure...and LVE admitted that he made mistakes in yesterdays game. I'm 1 gillion percent on board with upgrading Jaylon, and heck, I"m even having concerns about LVE at this point but I think the answer is to add talent at both DT AND LB.

If we add a stud like Parsons and still get trash DT play the run defense is still going to be bad.
You can have a good run defense with poor DTs. You can't have a good run defense with poor LBs.

The issues with the run defense have been the same for the entire time this LB corps has been here - misdirection and gap containment. Those are not things that DTs fix. Teams that try more straightforward - zone or power - run games (i.e. the Steelers, Giants, Seahawks) don't have any success against Dallas.

tm1119

Reaction score
Baramore can look like Chris Jones at times and other times looks like he’s got anchors on him. Very interesting player to watch. If you think you can get the upside out of him on a consistent basis he’s a great pick, but he’s also a major project with limited experience.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
While you might occasionally see Athletic measurables without college production, every year you see a lot of college guys with good stats, without the Athletic measurables needed to translate into NFL success.

Just be careful of the guy with great college stats accrued when surrounded by a lot of future NFL stars as well. The Scooby Wright-type...