Twitter: Any chance this Tavon Austin shows up to training camp?

JBS

Reaction score
Any chance this version shows up to Cowboys training camp?

Cowboys have a new coaching staff. 2020 NFL draft is deep at WR. He's 29. Rams gave up on him despite having a guru OC. This might be his last shot.

Crazy. I've been to 2 cfb games in my entire life..and this was one of them..what a great game

Do you guys remember when tavon was going to get 20 touched a game?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I like Tavon. But he is what he is at this point. He’s straight line speed.

He can be used in the NFL, but I doubt he “breaks out”.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
When I saw Tavon in college I saw super charged version of Darren Sproles. However, he was never used that way.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's all straight line speed unf. Not much wiggle. The only person he beat in the open field was on the last play near the goal line.
Yeah I'm starting to see what his issues are. He can't make you beat anyone. He doesn't utilize his speed well IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Yep. I think he has a place in this league and even on this team but he's not breaking out. He's a 3rd receiver at best or more than likely a 4th receiver.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

To be honest, I was shocked at just how many times players were running stride for stride down the field with him last year. It looked like he had lost a significant amount of that speed.

And another thing to consider:

Our new special teams coach John Fassel coached Austin on special teams with the Rams, and I believe he also had him removed from units for fumbles, and then traded here. There's a good chance that Fassel simply doesn't think Austin is worth it anymore and that's why no effort has been made to re-sign him.

And this is coming from a guy that thought he was being underutilized last year.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
To be honest, I was shocked at just how many times players were running stride for stride down the field with him last year. It looked like he had lost a significant amount of that speed.

And another thing to consider:

Our new special teams coach John Fassel coached Austin on special teams with the Rams, and I believe he also had him removed from units for fumbles, and then traded here. There's a good chance that Fassel simply doesn't think Austin is worth it anymore and that's why no effort has been made to re-sign him.

And this is coming from a guy that thought he was being underutilized last year.
Did not know that. Welp, he gone.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
It's all straight line speed unf. Not much wiggle. The only person he beat in the open field was on the last play near the goal line.

You must not have watched the video. He nearly broke the ankles of two OU defenders on that goal line run and had three nice cut backs on that catch down the left sideline and he ended up running out of bounds on right sideline. Tavon has plenty of wiggle. What he didn’t get was enough touches nor any blocking on punt returns. I’d love to have him back at the right price.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Crazy. I've been to 2 cfb games in my entire life..and this was one of them..what a great game

Do you guys remember when tavon was going to get 20 touched a game?

Management says crap like that every offseason and people buy it..

Just like how the offense would change every offseason and we got the same predictable crap..

Last year we got 3 weeks of coaching bliss and as soon as we played New Orleans they went straight back into their shell.

Reactions: JBS

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Any chance this version shows up to Cowboys training camp?

Cowboys have a new coaching staff. 2020 NFL draft is deep at WR. He's 29. Rams gave up on him despite having a guru OC. This might be his last shot.

Tavon much like Cobb,, both can be replaced, and the position upgraded in this draft.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He'd already had a new deal if he was part of the Cowboys plans moving forward. I expect Tony Pollard to do much of the stuff they were having Austin do.