Twitter: Any chance we go after Vic Beasley?

quickccc

Reaction score
The deal with Quinn is that we didn’t sign him hoping he’d be a full time starter. I believe we signed him as a situational pass rusher in the rotation, probably kicking Crawford or someone else inside on pass downs. I also don’t think Bennett was signed to be a full time player. Both would be extremely valuable making plays in part time roles, but after Crawford’s injury and no production from our drafted DT or the other young guys, our DL sucked so bad that Quinn and Bennett became vital DL pieces playing as starters or as much as starters. I’m certain that was never the plan.

I don't agree with that at all.
you don't make those type manuever trades thinking Crawford is a mainstay starter at RE.That's the kind of thinking that made us that more lesser of a defense.
they made due with Crawford as a starting end because we had no other options to resort to.
- Gregory had already missed way too much developmental time for much of his career here to be ready.
- Armstrong was (and still is) an unknown.
- Taco was clearly still so much in the dog house, his roster spot had to be already in questioned.

They were not making that Quinn trade for him to be a mere rotational guy this year, they wanted a version of the guy that once was All pro and collected an astounding 19 sacks at one single season.
they wanted an immediate full time difference maker.

If we can meet terms with Quinn to re-sign him, it ill be clear that we are determined to keep his elite edge rushing skills. He collected 11 sacks and a ton of pressure despite missing his first
two games per suspension.

Aven8

Reaction score
Just get me a big dude in the middle to protect our LB’s and I will take almost any pass rusher.

quickccc

Reaction score
I go the Shaq Barrett route.

Give him one year, 5-6 million

and if I'm Barrett's camp (and very strongly assuming Bucs do not surprisingly franchise tag him) hearing that ridiculous, joke of a one year offer, I'd flat laughed at that.
as several teams NFL will be racing to the finish line to sign a guy that had an astounding 19.5 sacks last year.

Carson

Reaction score
and if I'm Barrett's camp (and very strongly assuming Bucs do not surprisingly franchise tag him) hearing that ridiculous, joke of a one year offer, I'd flat laughed at that.
as several teams NFL will be racing to the finish line to sign a guy that had an astounding 19.5 sacks last year.

What?

Im referring to literally the contract Barrett signed last season. One year, 5 million prove it deal. It worked. He crushed it and they got an amazing year out of him.

Players can be motivated by one year deals to go get paid.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, Beasley is not going to solve that problem either.

Unlikely the draft will either.......which I'm leaning hard to just bringing Quinn back using $$$$$ from another free agent position if we have to. At least we KNOW what we're getting with Quinn. Perfect transitional tag candidate.....let the market tell us his value and match it within reason.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What?

Im referring to literally the contract Barrett signed last season. One year, 5 million prove it deal. It worked. He crushed it and they got an amazing year out of him.

Players can be motivated by one year deals to go get paid.

Yea but you answered your own question. There's reason signed a one-year prove-it deal and by golly he proved it. So he's def looking for a big payday. I won't get DLaw money but I'd be surprised fo anything less than $13-15M.

For me, I think $11-13M gets Quinn. I'd rather do that..........

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ATL is defensively challenged and is not trying to keep him? Shouldn't that tell you something?

SEA didn't want to keep Richard while rebuilding their D and secondary, that didn't tell us anything?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys can't afford to keep the pass rushers they already have. We all know Stephen doesn't believe in being aggressive in the early stages of free agency. There is no chance we go after Vic Beasley.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Cowboys can't afford to keep the pass rushers they already have. We all know Stephen doesn't believe in being aggressive in the early stages of free agency. There is no chance we go after Vic Beasley.

they actually can afford it - but its as you said, its about Stephen Jones and his usual stand firm philosophy in not using the available cap to go after the more top notch FA vets
and relying completely on draft only.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
they actually can afford it - but its as you said, its about Stephen Jones and his usual stand firm philosophy in not using the available cap to go after the more top notch FA vets
and relying completely on draft only.
So, you are telling me the Cowboys can afford to resign Dak, Amari, Byron, Quinn, Bennett, Brown, Collins, Cobb, and a half dozen of our other free agents and still have enough money to outbid the rest of the league for the services of Vic Beasley. I call BS.

quickccc

Reaction score
So, you are telling me the Cowboys can afford to resign Dak, Amari, Byron, Quinn, Bennett, Brown, Collins, Cobb, and a half dozen of our other free agents and still have enough money to outbid the rest of the league for the services of Vic Beasley. I call BS.

First off, who says the Cowboys are even interested in re-signing the likes of Malik, Anthony Brown, and old schooler Bennett.
- and who are these half dozen " others ' that you are talking about? .... Heath ? ..Looney ? ...Fleming ?...Lee ? ... Witten ? LOL

Byron could be in very questionable debate if we will re-sign; but Brown is almost a certain to surely to walk.
That's an average player and Stephen has already gone on record against giving big money to average players.
And if you've follow the average guys that have departed here, what's the likelihood odds against those player being re-signed here vs what they can get more on the market? (ala Hitchens, Damien W)

As far as the salary cap workings go, you can always move, maneuver, restructure roster salaries, what works against you is these dead money cap hits such as if we cut Crawford.
You go after your premium cornerstone players first as priorities - the Daks, Coopers, then they decide what they want to do with the likes of Byron.
But you always prioritize who you must keep and re-sign in FA, ..and who you decide of lessen importance that you can walk away from.

And its' not like the Cowboys are cap- strapped either, in fact they have one of the better cap situations among NFL teams.
Whey have more space and maneuverability than they had in quite some time.
Imo, one of the leading reasons is how they've better prioritize the key long term players to re-sign... vs those average-decent players to let go.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
First off, who says the Cowboys are even interested in re-signing the likes of Malik, Anthony Brown, and old schooler Bennett.
- and who are these half dozen " others ' that you are talking about? .... Heath ? ..Looney ? ...Fleming ?...Lee ? ... Witten ? LOL

Byron could be in very questionable debate if we will re-sign; but Brown is almost a certain to surely to walk.
That's an average player and Stephen has already gone on record against giving big money to average players.
And if you've follow the average guys that have departed here, what's the likelihood odds against those player being re-signed here vs what they can get more on the market? (ala Hitchens, Damien W)

As far as the salary cap workings go, you can always move, maneuver, restructure roster salaries, what works against you is these dead money cap hits such as if we cut Crawford.
You go after your premium cornerstone players first as priorities - the Daks, Coopers, then they decide what they want to do with the likes of Byron.
But you always prioritize who you must keep and re-sign in FA, ..and who you decide of lessen importance that you can walk away from.

And its' not like the Cowboys are cap- strapped either, in fact they have one of the better cap situations among NFL teams.
Whey have more space and maneuverability than they had in quite some time.
Imo, one of the leading reasons is how they've better prioritize the key long term players to re-sign... vs those average-decent players to let go.
Let me tell you a secret that's not really a secret but you apparently never heard. The Cowboys FO likes to sign their own guys if possible before turning to the free agent outsiders. Having one of the better cap situations in the league doesn't matter much when you have so many holes to fill and you can't draft your way out of this situation. Vic Beasley isn't even a blip on the Cowboys radar.

HungryLion

Reaction score
For a reasonable deal with low guaranteed cash? Sure why not. If they can’t get Quinn re signed.

quickccc

Reaction score
Let me tell you a secret that's not really a secret but you apparently never heard. The Cowboys FO likes to sign their own guys if possible before turning to the free agent outsiders. Having one of the better cap situations in the league doesn't matter much when you have so many holes to fill and you can't draft your way out of this situation. Vic Beasley isn't even a blip on the Cowboys radar.

Having good cap space allows you flexibility to re-sign your own players,..and the " option" to seek out the better difference making "splash" vet players.
That's when having the flexibility to sign that that middle -ground UFA vet that can be the big splash to better help our team.
- Sign that one vet FA that can give us the best chance to be an immediate impact on either side of the ball.

Such as what Pats did when Buffalo shockingly (foolishly?) allowed CB Stephen Gilmore (who just won 2019 Defensive Player of the Year) to walk as an UFA.

Frankly I don't believe in having cap space for the sake of going on a spending spree in FA, to catch up sudden competition with filling holes in that way.
That's how the Giants, Jaguars ...and pretty soon the Rams... are going hit cap hell and limited themselves from going from the upper echelon of the NFL ranks to the lower losing side of the NFL.
and needing years to rebuild.

Plus in addition, those high paid players they either shopped for-( or re-signed ) simply just don't show up and underachieve and that even adds more disaster to the matter, (ala Goff, Gurley)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Having good cap space allows you flexibility to re-sign your own players,..and the " option" to seek out the better difference making "splash" vet players.
That's when having the flexibility to sign that that middle -ground UFA vet that can be the big splash to better help our team.
- Sign that one vet FA that can give us the best chance to be an immediate impact on either side of the ball.

Such as what Pats did when Buffalo shockingly (foolishly?) allowed CB Stephen Gilmore (who just won 2019 Defensive Player of the Year) to walk as an UFA.

Frankly I don't believe in having cap space for the sake of going on a spending spree in FA, to catch up sudden competition with filling holes in that way.
That's how the Giants, Jaguars ...and pretty soon the Rams... are going hit cap hell and limited themselves from going from the upper echelon of the NFL ranks to the lower losing side of the NFL.
and needing years to rebuild.

Plus in addition, those high paid players they either shopped for-( or re-signed ) simply just don't show up and underachieve and that even adds more disaster to the matter, (ala Goff, Gurley)
It's almost as if you have forgotten the thread topic. :huh:

quickccc

Reaction score
It's almost as if you have forgotten the thread topic. :huh:

actually it plays right into the Vic Beasley topic.
Is Beasley a " splash " FA vet ?... or one of those that Stephen Jones deems in his frequent quotes as an "average player" getting big, long term money ?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
actually it plays right into the Vic Beasley topic.
Is Beasley a " splash " FA vet ?... or one of those that Stephen Jones deems in his frequent quotes as an "average player" getting big, long term money ?
He's not even a blip on the Cowboys radar at the moment. Why does that sound so familiar? Am I now repeating myself?

quickccc

Reaction score
He's not even a blip on the Cowboys radar at the moment. Why does that sound so familiar? Am I now repeating myself?

frankly how do we do know who.... and who is Not on the Cowboys radar at the moment ?