Any interest in Karl Joseph?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, there is an entire new front office and coaching staff in Oakland. They could be just going in a different direction. I mean you are also talking about the franchise that traded away their two star players in Cooper and Mack as well. There is a total rebuild and culture change out there, so moving on from an effective safety isn't exactly strange given the circumstances.

The direction they are going seems to be that their safety play has sucked and they desperately need to upgrade. A rebu9ilding team can't afford to fix the things that don't need fixing - they have to attack the situations that do need fixing. No team has put that much effort into upgrading a position, so I have to believe they feel safety is one of the positions that has to be fixed.

Granted the Raiders aren't the model for great decision making, but the problem with Mack wasn't that they didn't like him, they just felt they couldn't pay the astronomical asking price. Joseph's situation isn't like that.

Sydla

Reaction score
The direction they are going seems to be that their safety play has sucked and they desperately need to upgrade. A rebu9ilding team can't afford to fix the things that don't need fixing - they have to attack the situations that do need fixing. No team has put that much effort into upgrading a position, so I have to believe they feel safety is one of the positions that has to be fixed.

Granted the Raiders aren't the model for great decision making, but the problem with Mack wasn't that they didn't like him, they just felt they couldn't pay the astronomical asking price. Joseph's situation isn't like that.

Let's also point out that Abram was the only real SS they brought in. The other safeties they brought in - namely Joyner and Richards are FS.

So it's not like they went out and brought in 3 strong safeties on top of Joseph.

There is no doubt they are looking to improve the SS spot with the pick of Abram. No one is saying Joseph is Cam Chancellor in his prime out there. But for the Cowboys, he represents an upgrade over Heath who is simply not a very good strong safety.

I believe we need better safety play. I also think Collins is expendable largely because I think you can get similar play out of Fleming and groom Williams for the spot as well. McGovern and Sua's play last year gives you the flexibility to move Williams from OG. So in that sense, I believe I can get no worse OL play and a better SS.

It's a no brainer to me if Oakland would even entertain it. I'd entertain Taco for Joseph straight up too (I'd actually prefer that over Collins).

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's also point out that Abram was the only real SS they brought in. The other safeties they brought in - namely Joyner and Richards are FS.

So it's not like they went out and brought in 3 strong safeties on top of Joseph.

Jordan Richards has played both strong and free safety. Many safeties could at least shift to the other position if needed, but the Raiders even took that out of play. They made sure there was no room for Joseph at either spot.

But setting that aside for a second, lets look at stats. What about Joseph's stats suggest he is an upgrade?

Between the fact the Raiders are pushing him out, and the fact there is nothing special about his stats, it leaves me wondering what there is to suggest he would be an upgrade besides his draft position from 3 years ago.

I would bet dollars to donuts there are teams where Collins would be a clear upgrade over their current RT.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would have no complaints about this offseason if we found a way to acquire Joseph.

It would mean for me that we at least attempted to address our two biggest needs on defense (3-tech with Hyder and Hill and safety with Iloka and Joseph) and we may have upgraded several other positions.

Reactions: BAT

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't even think it's a sure thing that Joseph would be an upgrade in Dallas. Again, the Raiders using a 1st round draft pick on a safety and signing 2 veteran free agent safeties who were starters on their previous team doesn't indicate Joseph is regarded any higher than the Cowboy safeties. We have to understand that high draft pick doesn't necessarily equate high quality player.

As for value, there is a huge difference between a guy who a team is determined to replace (Joseph) and one who the team feels it can't afford (Collins).

Back on March 4, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Raiders intended to pick up the fifth-year option on Karl Joseph’s contract. The 2016 first-round pick from West Virginia only played just 10 snaps in the first six games in 2018 but started the final eight games of the year, tallying 48 combined tackles (34 solo), two sacks, and one interception.

He was all over the field during the Christmas Eve victory against the Broncos and looked exactly like the franchise-building talent that the Raiders hoped for during the 2016 NFL Draft. According to Jon Gruden, Joseph turned a corner at the end of the season and became an integral part of the team.

Karl Joseph has asserted himself as a leader on our football team, and those are two young guys that we are going to count on."

Now, however, the opinion on Joseph appears to be changing in the Raiders' front office. Will he see his time with the team come to an end early due to the new draft picks in town? Whether the decision to select Abram has an effect on Joseph's status with the team remains to be seen, but the Oakland Raiders are running out of time to make the decision.

The deadline for exercising fifth-year options is May 3, which is next Friday. If Mayock and Gruden don't make a decision, Joseph will play out the final year of his rookie deal and will then be a prime candidate for free agency in 2020.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And I think you overvalue him relative to Joseph. Throw in the fact that Collins is likely gone after 2019 anyway, you likely won't see much more than a 4th or 5th round comp pick for him two offseasons from now and Joseph gives you an upgrade at a position where you are weak............... it would be far from a bad trade.

Frankly, I think it would be a fair trade.

I think a deal for Taco is the better option for all parties.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't do it for Collins, because you're creating a hole at RT to get a question mark in the secondary. Whether La'el is overpaid or not, it doesn't make sense to move him for what might be an upgrade.

I'd flip a pick or Taco for Joseph though. Oak has so little talent on the DL that they might have some interest.

I think that's the smarter move.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Former first-round pick Karl Joseph could be seeing his time in the Silver and Black end after the 2019 season.

Thursday night, the Raiders used the 27th overall pick to select safety Johnathan Abram out of Mississippi State. The hard-hitting defender was viewed as a top prospect in the class, and general manager Mike Mayock and head coach Jon Gruden were unwilling to let him slip through their grasp. He now joins a safety room that includes Erik Harris, Lamarcus Joyner, Jordan Richards, and Joseph.

Of course, drafting Abram also brings about questions about Joseph's future with the team. He is entering the final year of his rookie deal but is eligible for a fifth-year option due to being a first-round pick in 2016. However, when Mayock was asked about his safety's status with the team and his contract option, the GM simply said, "I think that's a conversation we'll have with Karl." He wouldn't comment beyond that statement.

Back on March 4, Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle reported that the Raiders intended to pick up the fifth-year option on Karl Joseph’s contract. The 2016 first-round pick from West Virginia only played just 10 snaps in the first six games in 2018 but started the final eight games of the year, tallying 48 combined tackles (34 solo), two sacks, and one interception.

He was all over the field during the Christmas Eve victory against the Broncos and looked exactly like the franchise-building talent that the Raiders hoped for during the 2016 NFL Draft. According to Jon Gruden, Joseph turned a corner at the end of the season and became an integral part of the team.

Karl Joseph has asserted himself as a leader on our football team, and those are two young guys that we are going to count on.”
Now, however, the opinion on Joseph appears to be changing in the Raiders' front office. Will he see his time with the team come to an end early due to the new draft picks in town? Whether the decision to select Abram has an effect on Joseph's status with the team remains to be seen, but the Oakland Raiders are running out of time to make the decision.

The deadline for exercising fifth-year options is May 3, which is next Friday. If Mayock and Gruden don't make a decision, Joseph will play out the final year of his rookie deal and will then be a prime candidate for free agency in 2020.

Of course, the duo could simply be giving Joseph a warning about his future. If he doesn't produce and continue to grow into a trusted starter in 2019, he will be out the door and headed for a different team. The Raiders already have a replacement in town, so parting ways won't be difficult.

Article by “247 Sports “

Interest in Joseph? For me yes. For the FO unknown

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IF they did acquire Joseph, I'd agree Stash.

I would consider all potential player personnel issues to have been adequately filled. At present, the only spot I still feel has been inadequately addressed is safety.

At that point, it's up to the coaches.

bodi

Reaction score
Isaiah Crowell tore his Achilles give them taco and some rb

slick325

Reaction score
I would consider all potential player personnel issues to have been adequately filled. At present, the only spot I still feel has been inadequately addressed is safety.

At that point, it's up to the coaches.

Can't argue with that. May add TE (adding an aged Witten makes the position closer to average now than it was a year ago) to that list. Adding a safety with some draft pedigree would go a long way.

TBH Stash...I don't think I'm over not trying to get Earl Thomas. Lol...I have PTSD.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't argue with that. May add TE (adding an aged Witten makes the position closer to average now than it was a year ago) to that list. Adding a safety with some draft pedigree would go a long way.

TBH Stash...I don't think I'm over not trying to get Earl Thomas. Lol...I have PTSD.

I was really hopeful on him too, but at the money the Ravens paid? No thank you very much!

And it was clear that Thomas was all about the Benjamin's and not about "coming home" whatsoever. I've gladly moved on there.

Credit to the Cowboys for a move not made.

slick325

Reaction score
I was really hopeful on him too, but at the money the Ravens paid? No thank you very much!

And it was clear that Thomas was all about the Benjamin's and not about "coming home" whatsoever. I've gladly moved on there.

Credit to the Cowboys for a move not made.

There you go trying to be all prudent and reasonable. Where is the Stash that we all knew and loved?!?!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There you go trying to be all prudent and reasonable. Where is the Stash that we all knew and loved?!?!

tumblr_okrqplpjNj1uv4w0ro5_500.gif