Any reason to believe Dak era will surpass Romo era?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
So, you saw this Cowboy team as Final 4 less a greater HC?

I think they could have beaten the Rams so yes. The DL was completely unprepared to play and ultimately were mostly responsible for the loss. You don't win when a team rushes for 270 yards against you. The 4th and 1 call - run at Donald and Suh??? That is just pure stupid coaching. Had they made that first down and got the game close they would have had a shot despite how poorly they played. IMO Dallas has the better roster.

You had to watch that game and come away impressed with the Rams coaching. McVey is so ahead of his years in coaching situational football. That scheme was exactly for playing the Cowboys and it worked.

Let me ask you this - If Sean McVey was coaching the Cowboys on Saturday and Garrett the Rams - what do you think happens?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
There will be more total playoff wins but they will come in singles every few years. I don’t envision any deep playoff runs with Dak and Garrett. There will always be better QBs and smarter coaches to block their path.
I think like this year if we have way better talent surrounding them two we can advance further but without that I agree with you.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The comparisons here is Romo and Dak. Romo didn’t need an All Pro ol, league leading running back and top 10 defense to make playoffs.

Let’s see . I’d rather have a qb who needs all of this surrounding support or one who elevated those around him? Why are we so attached to Dak?
What? Romo has two different lines that had all pros on it. He also has had top 10 defenses....Demarco lead the league in rushing. You are revising history but I recommend you go check the stats before your next posts. Romo had some stacked teams. If his teams were less pass happy and more run first he may have had more success.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
There will be more total playoff wins but they will come in singles every few years. I don’t envision any deep playoff runs with Dak and Garrett. There will always be better QBs and smarter coaches to block their path.
Which means nothing. Teams face better quarterbacks and coaches and still go on playoff runs. That’s not a excuse.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Of course your not counting their passing marks and other playoff success .

The point is those qb weren’t a liability. It’s like saying Witen and Ware weren’t holding us back.
Romo wasn’t holding us back and he didn’t win anything. I’m not sure why fans always think it’s all about the QB. Get a better team and the QB will be fine.

Actually QBs getting $25million/year could be seen as holding a team back. They can’t spend on other areas of need. Cowboys are better now because they have a QB making nothing. Once a QB gets paid it gets even more difficult. Just a cost benefit analysis.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I think he can get it done with a better OC/HC. Cowboys should be running play action passes as much or more than the Rams. I believe I heard they run play action on more than 50% of their passes. Cowboy’s run the ball well enough to do the same.

I will say it’s much easier to get it done before your QB gets that first big contract. But I think Dak is on par with 3rd year Wilson and 3rd year Big Ben. Go look at the stats if you think he’s playing worse than those guys when they won SBs.
The play calling has to improve. We're not fooling or scaring anyone minus Elliott.
Too many empty backfield formations.
Too many shotgun formations.
We run plays INTO the defenses strong side.
We motion WR's INTO the play.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Garrett has had 10+ years and nothing changes.

I don't expect anything different.

Their belief in Garrett is just costing us season after season.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Which means nothing. Teams face better quarterbacks and coaches and still go on playoff runs. That’s not a excuse.

Didn’t say it was. It’s just my opinion. Dak fails to take advantage of many the opportunities that present themselves during a game and Garrett is easily outcoached with his simplistic, outdated, and predictable scheme and playcalling tendencies. There simply will be better QBs and HCs in their way whenever they make the playoffs and I don’t see them ever overcoming them unless both make significant changes and improvements.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If this dysfunctional organization couldn’t build a good enough team around Romo why do we believe they will around Dak?
The Dak era could surpass the Romo era.
Not remotely because Dak is better, but because the whole organization is clearly better.
There is some reason to be optimistic.

After Romo’s first 3 1/2 years as a starter (so through 2009) the team was getting very old and the front office was drafting terribly. Arrow steeply down, regardless of Romo. 2010-2013 were lost years.

Now, after Dak has started 3 years, the team is very young and talented and are drafting far better than a decade ago. They have youth and talent on both sides of the ball, and plenty of cap room. Dak’s situation is so much better going forward

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Name me 1 Running QB who didn't combine that running with a Accurate Arm and pocket poise that has accomplished something in the NFL.....most of them are like Comets they appear and disappear in a Jiffy....
Dak is our version or Tim Tebow.....it is what it is!!!

P.S. Only reason he has this Job is that Jerry is our GM.....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Romo bar is incredibly low. 6 playoff starts and 2 wins for his whole career. Dak is half way there already so yes if you measure by playoff games. Super Bowls? As long as Jason Garrett is the coach there is no way this team will be beat a good team in the playoffs. Not going to happen. The way the Rams out coached the Cowboys was so obvious. When is Dallas ever going to have a "road" playoff game like that again? Half the stadium were Cowboys fans. The Cowboys were coming in hot, yet McVey and his coaches completely unraveled the Cowboys and embarrassed them.

Dak will play in more playoff games but he will never win a Super Bowl or likely not get the chance with Garrett at the helm.
Well, this era with Jerry the bar is low. They all see 2018 as a successful season. I tend to agree.

The bottom line remains is will Dak surpass the Romo era. I’d like to think he will with the talented rosters on the most part he’s been surrounded with.

Imagine if we had a QB as talented as our RB or WR1.

We obviously can win some games with Dak, the kids a Gamer, but the Cowboys are talent dependent in this dysfunctional organization.

How much success can we have with a 22nd ranked QB and offense? And an average to slightly above average HC and front office? I’m not sure.

Mr_Strol

Reaction score
Dak has gotten us to the divisional round which is the furthest Romo has taken us. Considering that Dak is young and will eventually get a new offensive system to play in, chances are he’ll move the chains further.

Dallas hasn't made it past the divisional round in 26 years. Why would that change?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Dak era could surpass the Romo era.
Not remotely because Dak is better, but because the whole organization is clearly better.
There is some reason to be optimistic.

After Romo’s first 3 1/2 years as a starter (so through 2009) the team was getting very old and the front office was drafting terribly. Arrow steeply down, regardless of Romo. 2010-2013 were lost years.

Now, after Dak has started 3 years, the team is very young and talented and are drafting far better than a decade ago. They have youth and talent on both sides of the ball, and plenty of cap room. Dak’s situation is so much better going forward
I tend to agree with this. My thread wasn’t intended to bash Dak.

This does appear to be a more talented overall team in Dak era especially on defense and at RB and WR.

I can’t help but ponder what it would be if we had a more elite QB. Having a greater GM or HC aren’t really viable options.

But I certainly agree Dak should get more opportunities to knock the door down. I like the kid but as with Romo I wanted a more elite QB.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score

Here’s the problem with dak. He doesn’t stress the defense. His pocket awareness and field vision isn’t good enough to make defenses adjust to him.

Watch the above clip and tell me these guys are even playing the same position.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Do you think Dak elevates our teams with horrid defenses and no running game In 2011,2012 and 2013 to week 17 play in games?
I would say zero chance of that. 5-11...maybe. Who knows and who cares at this point.

Luckily, Dak will never play with the 32nd ranked defense, Felix Jones as his lead back, or a delapitated oline.
The team still can use more help, but it is young and talented on both sides of the ball.
I like our chances to possibly advance further as a team where Dak happens to be the QB