Any theories about who is behind the new frugal trades and aggressiveness?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They needed a WR. There were 3 blue chippers available, Beckham, Cooks and Hopkins.

Gilmore was put out there as well.

It is not like the Cowboys found deals to make on players. They didn't with Galloway or Williams, they were on the block.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well I can understand some people being blown away that the clown show is actually taking a little more risk and actually addressing needs with decent players.

Lots of players contribute significantly after their 30th birthday so harping on that is dumb.

And with the roster churn and FA and the Cap, planning for more than 2 or 3 years is frankly obsolete.
its not an all in and win at all cost moves. if Brown wasn't injured, he wouldn't make the trade. its a low risk low cost trade for gilmore. he was great, not any more.
same with cooks. low cost, low risk. he is on his 5th team now. there is a reason.

and both of these moves weren't necessarily football moves, they were also marketing moves given the level of unhappiness in the cowboys fan base. Jerry does this all the time. its not the first time.

is it better he covered the holes we had (and he created it in the first place). yes. but am I blown away and overly optimistic? no.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It’s still Jerry and Stephen but someone has convinced them that they have to be more aggressive with roster building in order to compete and go further in the playoffs. I would bet it’s some combination of McCarthy, Quinn, and McClay or all three.
this is my theory.

glimmerman

Reaction score
McClay getting it done and JJ likes it, he is getting older and wants a ring. JJ knows he will make money every year but if his team is champ it will make him more money.

kskboys

Reaction score
McClay getting it done and JJ likes it, he is getting older and wants a ring. JJ knows he will make money every year but if his team is champ it will make him more money.
Took him 28 years to realize it. That's IF he really has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

glimmerman

Reaction score
Took him 28 years to realize it. That's IF he really has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think he has reached an age where he knows he has to let other people that are good at what they do take charge of it, he can always take credit for it later. Lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While he would never admit to it, Booger is motivated by the other East teams and they got his attention and he knows the margin for error is very slim now.

Lurie and the Eagles are like a thorn in his side and he doesn't want to admit it and goes so far to, stupidly, insinuate they're going all in when all they did was make smart moves to make a good team better. He got called out on that moronic statement. He knows the Eagles are not going away aytiome soon.

Now, NY and WAS are making progress and he realizes a couple of wrong moves and the Cowboys could be dead last in the East and the relevancy relegated to only the morbid curiosity people have with this franchise.

His buddy in WAS is on the way out so the new guy might not be his pal and we know how Mara feels about him.

Booger realizes he might not see another ring before he goes toes up but he sure as heel doesn't want to go out on the bottom.

Bottom line is it is not just his over-inflated ego driving this now, it is fear. It was just yesterday the East was the laughing stock of the league but not now. His greatest fear is being the least relevant in the East so I think he's listening intently to the people he's hired that know a hell of a lot more about it than he does. No more stupid risks in round 2 of the drafts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
it is jerry. low cost trades that don't hurt the bottom line, and have you seen the fan reaction to signing to 30+ year old players past their prime. its going to sell jersey's and put arses in seats....

don't underestimate jerry
Can’t be Jerry

ESisback

Reaction score
A typically stupid take…

Anything bad…all Jerry
Anything good…anyone else

ESisback

Reaction score
While he would never admit to it, Booger is motivated by the other East teams and they got his attention and he knows the margin for error is very slim now.

Lurie and the Eagles are like a thorn in his side and he doesn't want to admit it and goes so far to, stupidly, insinuate they're going all in when all they did was make smart moves to make a good team better. He got called out on that moronic statement. He knows the Eagles are not going away aytiome soon.

Now, NY and WAS are making progress and he realizes a couple of wrong moves and the Cowboys could be dead last in the East and the relevancy relegated to only the morbid curiosity people have with this franchise.

His buddy in WAS is on the way out so the new guy might not be his pal and we know how Mara feels about him.

Booger realizes he might not see another ring before he goes toes up but he sure as heel doesn't want to go out on the bottom.

Bottom line is it is not just his over-inflated ego driving this now, it is fear. It was just yesterday the East was the laughing stock of the league but not now. His greatest fear is being the least relevant in the East so I think he's listening intently to the people he's hired that know a hell of a lot more about it than he does. No more stupid risks in round 2 of the drafts.
CC…you’re sounding like Greg…

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can’t be Jerry. Doubt he’s the guy calling around talking to people around the league making deals. Stephen? Mcclay? Someone else?
They getting the daily shots of B12. The little purple pill might be helping , it’s about time they get off their behind. Seriously though I think it’s McCarthy.

ESisback

Reaction score
They getting the daily shots of B12. The little purple pill might be helping , it’s about time they get off their behind. Seriously though I think it’s McCarthy.
But…but…it CAN’T be McCarthy! He’s fat!