David Gerrard, Jacksonville
Steve McNair, Tennessee
Seneca Wallace, Seattle
Michael Vick, Atlanta
Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota
Jeff Blake, Chicago
Jason Campbell, Washington
Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia

Save Stewart, McNair, Vick and Wallace, I fail to see any QBs who fit the "mobile" stereotype.
You forgot Aaron Brooks who is also a mobile guy though he appears to be trying to learn to be a pocket passer. I haven't seen Wright play recently but he was a mobile type player when he was with Dallas before he had the knee sergury. And again Culpepper while capable of being a pocket passer is none-the-less a mobile guy and makes many plays on the move. And I was keeping my discussion to current or recent starters in the league but you are right about Batch, Blake, Banks and Gerrard.

So to Stewart, McNair, Vick and Wallace I would add Brooks, Wright (at one point at least) and Culpepper. That is 7 out of 15 which I maintain is a pretty high percentage.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I didn't read any posts in this thread besides Mr. Wilbon's statement, which was idiotic. Vick simply can't throw a football as well as 90% of the starting QBs in the NFL. Put a 2 in front of his 7, and let him run the ball 25 times a game. He's a runningback who happens to have rare arm strength, but no accuracy.

He'd suck if he was white too.

Great athlete, Lousy QB.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think it becomes more youth and inexperience. A black QB may face it more often, but the reality is that it applies to any good athlete playing QB. Not just inexperience on the players part, but of their coaches as well.

A high school coach may stick a great athlete at the QB position and tells them to make plays. They don't encourage them to stay in the pocket. Heck, I think a majority of high school offensive schemes still depend on the QB running the ball quite a bit. Those are the easiest schemes to teach at that level and some coaches don't know any other way. They can't teach passing schemes because they don't know them. By the way, I always heard to stick the best athlete at wide receiver or running back at the high school and lower levels. The QB had less impact on the offense in teams that didn't focus on passing the ball.

The same thing applies at the college level to a lesser extent. You can see a transition to more pro-style or spread passing schemes, but for a long time teams stuck to running the ball and/or having a running QB. Having a QB sit in the pocket and constantly beat teams with his arm wasn't the priority in a lot of programs.

I look at programs in the Big 12 and the SEC. Seems like every school in those conferences is starting to set passing records. OU had Josh Heupel come in and set school records in just 2 seasons because they ran the wishbone and power running schemes for so long. A QB wasn't going to learn to be a good passer in the Switzer system. That is partially why Aikman transferred to UCLA. College programs are really starting to use passing schemes more and more and bringing in guys that know how to coach them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't anyone is saying the falcons are better off without Vick. The guy is a heck of an athlete but face it for a Professional QB is passing flat out sucks, take away his legs and he can't do the job. Some may want that in their QB I clearly don't. We have a running back that can carry the ball but I feel you need a QB who can offset the run with the ability to pass especially when you fall behind in a game. As for the article I do recent this writer for playing the race card because you get down to it no one is claiming Vick’s problem is that he is black only claiming for a QB his passing skills are bad.

Hoov

Reaction score
My take on NFL QB's that are great runners and not great passers.....

All QB's look to make plays and avoid sacks, most rookie and inexperienced NFL QB's panic and try to run when the pressure is on and they dont see a receiver open, its just a natural reaction, even the really slow ones do it.

The thing is, if your not a great runner, you find out real quick that you wont be getting the first down by scrambling cause defense are so fast in the nfl, and you get smacker around pretty good (see that hit on that SF QB last week - he made # 2 on "all jacked up).

But if you ARE a great runner, you can get away with it, and you start getting first downs, so the instinct or impulse to run gets stronger - (success breeds success), and the coaches wont be reaming you so much for doing it.

So actually, if you are a great running QB, i think it can really slow down your development as a pocket passer, cause you bail on the pass to soon.

But if you are not a great running QB, you give up on running early in your career and just learn to hang in there and look for the pass, cause its all you have.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Wilbon called it a racial thing when Gary Kubiak was rumored to be a candidate for the Dallas Cowboys head coaching spot in 1998. He's a buffoon when it comes to issues of race-- zero credibility.