Anybody think we could shock everyone in draft...

Q_the_man

Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams, Seriously that boy is raw and I would not be shocked if we grab him and traded JJ away..

Only reason I say that is because this will be JJ last year to prove he can stay healthy and if he doens't we have to draft a back next season

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
DeAngelo Williams, Seriously that boy is raw and I would not be shocked if we grab him and traded JJ away..

Only reason I say that is because this will be JJ last year to prove he can stay healthy and if he doens't we have to draft a back next season
:bow:

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Q_the_man said:

Witht eh needs we have, you really think that we are going to take a back with one of our 1st 2 picks? If Barber hadn't come along so nicely you might be able to convince me, but I doubt it. JJ's injury problems most likeley have hurt his value tremendously...a proven back like Edgerin James couldn't even net the Colts a 2nd rounder.

If we draft a RB before we get OLB, FS, or OL help, I'll be seriously pissed.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I think the team has set itself up to move down or simply take the BPA. Its not outside the realm of possibility.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
junk said:
I think the team has set itself up to move down or simply take the BPA. Its not outside the realm of possibility.

I agree. If DeAngelo is the highest rated player on our board, we should draft him.

If we believe him to be the next Emmitt, Shaun, LT, whatever.... we need to draft him.

Our other OLB could be filled with Singleton on 1st and 2nd downs/Thornton on 3rd downs/Burnett getting playing time as he gets up to speed.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
A lil biased are we?? ~Noting the Memphis avi~ :)

Honestly, I'd be pissed if we went RB in the first... Later rounds, yes. 1st round. I might have to buy another TV remote.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

Honestly, I'd be pissed if we went RB in the first... Later rounds, yes. 1st round. I might have to buy another TV remote.

Who me?????:D

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:

I agree, I would break my remote then run to the store buy another remote and smash it too.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
OL was a need. We added Fabini and Kosier. Sure, I'd like us to shore up the spot some more, but that can be done in rounds two thru seven.

WR was a need. We added one of the best, if not the best, in the game.

Kicker was a need. We merely added the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history.

FS was a need. We added Marcus Coleman. He is nothing more than a stop gap, but he could fill in nicely for a year if we chose to wait and see what happens with Keith Davis. Or we can draft one in rounds two-seven.

OLB is a potential need. We can also address this via draft. Or we can chose to do this by committee. Singleton on 1st and 2nd downs. Thornton on obvious passing/blitzing situations. And once Burnett gets caught back up to speed, he garners playing time.

We, at worst, filled the holes with stop gaps. In some places, we have long term situations.

What it means, is we can stick to our board this draft and not draft for need, but for talent.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I would not mind if DeAngelo was the pick.
Julius has only proved one thing , He can't stay healthy and MB3 is a nice player but nothing more than a back up and spot starter.
If DeAngelo is available and is the BPA , I say grab him.
We should keep Julius though maybe MB3 could go to fullback ala Richie Anderson

aznhalf

Reaction score
At this point their are only two positions in which I absolutely don't expect to go to us at 18 (FB and TE).

Our FA has really let use take the BPA and I can see us going any direction (though some directions would piss me off more than the others).

blindzebra

Reaction score
BPA is a myth when will everyone get that?

Heck let's draft a RB if they are on top of our board, even though we have 3 talented young backs already.

What happens if a RB is on top when pick 49 comes along? Hey got to draft BPA.

3rd round and by gum another RB is on top of the board, well needs be damned, gotta go with the board.

Everyone sets their board up based on team needs.

Everyone has groups of players slotted at their selections, again those players get slotted based on needs.

If you have 3 or 4 players near the same grade on top of the board when you pick EVERYONE takes the highest rated player that fills a need. The teams are too close together talent wise to draft to strengths instead of needs.

If your main need is slotted 5 or 6 spots lower, you look to trade down first and then you look at your next area of need for a player of value closer to your pick. The very last thing you do is grab the highest player on your board that does not fill a need.

3rd round and beyond you can take a shot, but the first 2 rounds you have to get a player that fills a need. You just don't reach to do it.

Smith22

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Everyone has groups of players slotted at their selections, again those players get slotted based on needs.

If you have 3 or 4 players near the same grade on top of the board when you pick EVERYONE takes the highest rated player that fills a need. The teams are too close together talent wise to draft to strengths instead of needs.

If your main need is slotted 5 or 6 spots lower, you look to trade down first and then you look at your next area of need for a player of value closer to your pick. The very last thing you do is grab the highest player on your board that does not fill a need.

Does the name Larry Johnson come to mind? Or ask the Lions about drafting WR year after year after year. I wouldn't use the term EVERYONE so freely, because it isn't true for EVERYONE.

aznhalf

Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Heck let's draft a RB if they are on top of our board, even though we have 3 talented young backs already.

Okay, so what are our true need positions? My point was that we have filled our need positions through FA so we don't have to reach.

And tell the Lions that BPA is a myth Mr. Scout.

blindzebra

Reaction score
aznhalf said:
Okay, so what are our true need positions? My point was that we have filled our need positions through FA so we don't have to reach.

And tell the Lions that BPA is a myth Mr. Scout.

We run the freaking 3-4 and that requires playmakers at LB, and as we sit we have Ware and then a bunch of ?????? when it comes to difference makers at LB.

SOLB is a monumental need.

And just how well has that worked out for the Lions Mr. Wizard?:rolleyes:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Does the name Larry Johnson come to mind? Or ask the Lions about drafting WR year after year after year. I wouldn't use the term EVERYONE so freely, because it isn't true for EVERYONE.

In 2002 Holmes missed the last 2 games and durability was beginning to be a concern. Was RB their top need? Nope, but it was an area they were looking for a player.

The Lions as an example of how to draft is a great way to prove my point.:lmao2:

Smith22

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
In 2002 Holmes missed the last 2 games and durability was beginning to be a concern. Was RB their top need? Nope, but it was an area they were looking for a player.

So, missing 2 games causes concern? How many has JJ missed during his short career (and before you ask, I'm a JJ fan)? Any reason for concern?

blindzebra said:
The Lions as an example of how to draft is a great way to prove my point.:lmao2:
Didn't say they drafted well, just showing that EVERYONE doesn't draft the way YOU say they do. Besides, I remember plenty of posters wanting Mike Williams. Larry Johnson pick seemed to work out OK, though it got bashed relentlessly for some time.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

What happens if a RB is on top when pick 49 comes along? Hey got to draft BPA.

3rd round and by gum another RB is on top of the board, well needs be damned, gotta go with the board.

3rd round and beyond you can take a shot, but the first 2 rounds you have to get a player that fills a need. You just don't reach to do it.
Thanks BZ. I was formulating a similar post in my mind when I got to yours; you saved me a lot of trouble. I just roll my eyes every time I see someone say “just take BPA.”

However, taking the best Value is a different matter since every team defines a player’s value to their particular team. And that Value is weighted by the needs of that particular team.

As for us taking a RB in the first in THIS draft; I just don't see it happening because the need is so far down the list that the Value to the Cowboys would not be there.