Anybody think we could shock everyone in draft...

blindzebra

Reaction score
Smith22 said:
So, missing 2 games causes concern? How many has JJ missed during his short career (and before you ask, I'm a JJ fan)? Any reason for concern?

Didn't say they drafted well, just showing that EVERYONE doesn't draft the way YOU say they do. Besides, I remember plenty of posters wanting Mike Williams. Larry Johnson pick seemed to work out OK, though it got bashed relentlessly for some time.

That is because it took another year for Holmes to breakdown and two before Johnson showed anything.

Yeah, I overstated, but it's because I get so sick of this BPA nonsense.

So I'll qualify my stance some:

1. Teams with glaring needs cannot afford to draft strictly BPA in the early rounds.

2. Teams with holes and are a starter or two away cannot afford to draft strictly the BPA in the early rounds if they plan on contending...this is where we fit in, IMO.

3. Teams with no apparent holes, that are playoff teams can take the risk at certain positions where age and cap will be concerns in the near future...NE and PHI in resent years falls here, but even here they are in fact drafting for a need, it's just not an immediate one, because they are in a position to carry a player for a year or two.

Better?:wink2:

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So, if the scouting team believes DeAngelo is the next Emmitt, we should pass on him, because after all, we have Julius and Marion Barber?

Right?

Please.

I wasn't saying we need to take a RB. But if we truly believe DeAngelo will become a great RB and he is the highest rated player on our board, we should pick him.

Because we don't have a great RB.

aznhalf

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
We run the freaking 3-4 and that requires playmakers at LB, and as we sit we have Ware and then a bunch of ?????? when it comes to difference makers at LB.

SOLB is a monumental need.

And just how well has that worked out for the Lions Mr. Wizard?:rolleyes:

How about the Cards taking Fitz with the 3rd pick when they had Boldin, and had a lot of other needs.

I think if the value is there and a RB with a high grade drops you take him before you reach for a SOLB even if the SOLB fills a bigger need.

Reching for players is how you break your draft.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
aznhalf said:
How about the Cards taking Fitz with the 3rd pick when they had Boldin, and had a lot of other needs.

I think if the value is there and a RB with a high grade drops you take him before you reach for a SOLB even if the SOLB fills a bigger need.

Reching for players is how you break your draft.

Exactly. Or you trade down to where taking that LB isn't a reach.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
austintodallas said:
Straight BPA is a joke (see Detroit Lions). Gotta take BPA that fits a need.

So is the interpretation of what it means.

It isn't black and white.

There isn't some mythical board in every team's draft room that has everyone ranked BPA in rank order like what you see with Mel Kiper and others.

I believe that each team assembles a pool of players they consider draftable (and that implies they fill a need of some sort or that they are simply too good to pass). They don't bother ranking players or positions that they have no designs upon.

Then it assembles a board based upon THAT pool.

And if it felt that a WR like Mike Williams was worth drafting in the first round AND they want to remain true to that board, then they take him. No shame in that.

The shame comes with having that player on your board to begin with, not that you are sticking to it.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Vintage said:
So, if the scouting team believes DeAngelo is the next Emmitt, we should pass on him, because after all, we have Julius and Marion Barber?

Right?

Please.

I wasn't saying we need to take a RB. But if we truly believe DeAngelo will become a great RB and he is the highest rated player on our board, we should pick him.

If they are convinced that he is the next Emmitt then they should take him and probably would take him and wonder why the rest of the league didn't recognize his greatness. But I doubt that if 17 other teams don't recognize that greatness that we would feel that way ourselves. Remember we pick at #18.

So realistically (that is in a world not shaded with homer colored glasses) the chances of us taking DeAngelo are next to none.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
If they are convinced that he is the next Emmitt then they should take him and probably would take him and wonder why the rest of the league didn't recognize his greatness. But I doubt that if 17 other teams don't recognize that greatness that we would feel that way ourselves. Remember we pick at #18.

So realistically (that is in a world not shaded with homer colored glasses) the chances of us taking DeAngelo are next to none.

Where was Emmitt drafted?

I am not saying DeAngelo is destined for greatness. My point was IF WE THINK he is, we SHOULD draft him.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Where was Emmitt drafted?

I am not saying DeAngelo is destined for greatness. My point was IF WE THINK he is, we SHOULD draft him.

We wanted Blair Thomas and settled for Emmitt, if I recall correctly.

SD was sure Leaf was the next Elway, too. How did that work out?:lmao2:

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Does the name Larry Johnson come to mind? Or ask the Lions about drafting WR year after year after year. I wouldn't use the term EVERYONE so freely, because it isn't true for EVERYONE.

You really wanna use the Lions as your model for successful BPA strategy?

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Alexander said:
So is the interpretation of what it means.

It isn't black and white.

There isn't some mythical board in every team's draft room that has everyone ranked BPA in rank order like what you see with Mel Kiper and others.

I believe that each team assembles a pool of players they consider draftable (and that implies they fill a need of some sort or that they are simply too good to pass). They don't bother ranking players or positions that they have no designs upon.

Then it assembles a board based upon THAT pool.

And if it felt that a WR like Mike Williams was worth drafting in the first round AND they want to remain true to that board, then they take him. No shame in that.

The shame comes with having that player on your board to begin with, not that you are sticking to it.
Your interpretation of the draft process and how it "Should" work is correct but your definition of "BPA" is not. What you describe is not the BPA process; it is the weighted "value" process. And it is the logical and intelligent way of doing things.

The BPA process has Mike Williams on Detroit’s board and has them taking him. And that is neither logical nor intelligent and any GM who does it should be fired.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
predicting the draft is spotty at best, but I'd be shocked as all hell if we took DeAngelo in the 1st

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Vintage said:

Right?

Please.

ok what if they Have Deangelo as the next emmitt, but Carpenter as the next mcginnest then who do you take?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage said:
I agree. If DeAngelo is the highest rated player on our board, we should draft him.

unfortunately, we're not a playoff team...yet, so we don't have the luxury of taking BPA

Smith22

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
You really wanna use the Lions as your model for successful BPA strategy?

Did I say that? Nope.

BZ already responded and admitted that EVERYONE doesn't base their draft solely on needs, or teams like Zona wouldn't draft Larry Fitzgerald, and teams like the Chiefs wouldn't take a Larry Johnson with a Priest Holmes already on the team. It all depends on who falls down to your pick and how you project their success in the NFL game, how many holes you have on your team, etc.... I honestly don't see us drafting a RB, not in the 1st round anyhow (more likely OLB or CB/S), where value should still be strong, but if they see a RB in this draft with anywhere close to the ability of an Emmitt Smith, then draft him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Did I say that? Nope.

BZ already responded and admitted that EVERYONE doesn't base their draft solely on needs, or teams like Zona wouldn't draft Larry Fitzgerald, and teams like the Chiefs wouldn't take a Larry Johnson with a Priest Holmes already on the team. It all depends on who falls down to your pick and how you project their success in the NFL game, how many holes you have on your team, etc.... I honestly don't see us drafting a RB, not in the 1st round anyhow (more likely OLB or CB/S), where value should still be strong, but if they see a RB in this draft with anywhere close to the ability of an Emmitt Smith, then draft him.

using AZ taking Fitz is a horrible argument to make on your behalf, AZ was, and is, extremely void of talent, they can realistically take anyone they want, while we not only have 1 talented back, we have THREE, and 2 of them are capable of being feature backs, while AZ only had Boldin capable of being a feature WR, and last I heard, you needed 2 WRs to be successful in this league, again, horrible example

Smith22

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and last I heard, you needed 2 WRs to be successful in this league, again, horrible example

Say what? Did the Pats have 2 big name WR's? Nope. Ravens? Nope. I could go on if you wish.....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
DeAngelo Williams, Seriously that boy is raw and I would not be shocked if we grab him and traded JJ away..

Only reason I say that is because this will be JJ last year to prove he can stay healthy and if he doens't we have to draft a back next season

Although Memphis sucks (shoutout to Yeag :D ), I would be VERY disappointed if he fell to us and we passed...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Smith22 said:
Say what? Did the Pats have 2 big name WR's? Nope. Ravens? Nope. I could go on if you wish.....

who said anything about big names? I said talent

SHHHHHHHH

Smith22

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
who said anything about big names? I said talent

SHHHHHHHH

:lmao2:

And what talent did the Ravens have at WR when they won it all? Care to tell me? The skins made the playoffs with one WR last year did they not?