Anyone Beginning To Think T.O. May Not Return?...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
"T.O. is due a $3 million roster bonus in June, then a $5 million salary this season. Cutting him before then would save a lot of money and headaches."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81316

So...... Jerry has until June to make up his mind. He will have the luxury to see how TO responds to Wade's offseason program etc.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1370995 said:
...I know this goes against the CW and I'm not predicting T.O. won't return next year, because Jerry has said he would, (but Jerry also said he would say that about every player on the team at that point in time), but I am beginning to hear some things that make me question whether it's a certainty that T.O. will return.

For example:

1) On his radio interview today, Wade hedged a bit on the question of T.O. returning and said he and Jerry would discuss it and he mentioned the roster bonus that is coming due.

2) Then tonight on his "Around the League" report, Adam Schefter brought up the question about T.O.'s return next season and said Jerry and Wade would discuss it. Schefter then mentioned the cap savings to Dallas if T. O. is not retained. Schefter did not say anything to indicate T.O. was definitely returning next year.

3) Then you add in the curious tidbit about T.O.'s nameplate not being on his locker and the only other player that was missing was Bledsoe (who everyone knows is not coming back) and I begin to wonder if there aren't some signs that say T. O. may not return next year.

Thoughts?

I said it several times the past few days...I am not convinced he'll definitely be here...I think they'll look at the draft and maybe even free agency some after the draft, then couple that with how TO acts between now and June and decide what to do...if Owens isnt showing up for workouts or complaining left and right about the new offense or his role, he might be looking for work

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cbz40;1371251 said:
"T.O. is due a $3 million roster bonus in June, then a $5 million salary this season. Cutting him before then would save a lot of money and headaches."

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81316

So...... Jerry has until June to make up his mind. He will have the luxury to see how TO responds to Wade's offseason program etc.

thats what I think too..by then we'll have had passing camps andprobably at least one mini camp (Phillips alluded toe fact that the nfl allows for mini camps for teams with new staffs too)

if he acts like a jerk or causes excessive problems, there is plenty of time to make a decision

and this draft is loaded at WR...with Phillips in place to fix the D, I could see a very offensive heavy draft coming up

David

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
dbair1967;1371257 said:
thats what I think too..by then we'll have had passing camps andprobably at least one mini camp (Phillips alluded toe fact that the nfl allows for mini camps for teams with new staffs too)

if he acts like a jerk or causes excessive problems, there is plenty of time to make a decision

and this draft is loaded at WR...with Phillips in place to fix the D, I could see a very offensive heavy draft coming up

David

I feel old TO will probably be in his best behavior mode. He should realize he has a very good deal in Dallas.....I doubt there are many teams out there that would give him a $3 mil signing bous plus the $5 mil. salary he would be making this next season in Dallas. ;)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Cbz40;1371261 said:
I feel old TO will probably be in his best behavior mode. He should realize he has a very good deal in Dallas.....I doubt there are many teams out there that would give him a $3 mil signing bous plus the $5 mil. salary he will be making this next season in Dallas. ;)

I hope so...he is a diffence maker and with his hand/fingers taken care of, he shouldnt be dropping as many balls next yr

but I still wont be surprised if he is gone

David

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Cbz40;1371261 said:
I feel old TO will probably be in his best behavior mode. He should realize he has a very good deal in Dallas.....I doubt there are many teams out there that would give him a $3 mil signing bous plus the $5 mil. salary he would be making this next season in Dallas. ;)

:hammer:

"TO" is old news. He has already left the team. Terrell has an intense respect for the Benjamins. He also now has a HC that will actually give him some love every once and awhile. He is going to play his heart out for Wade and be on his best behavior so those Benjamins continue to roll in. :popcorn:

cowboyed

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1370995 said:
...I know this goes against the CW and I'm not predicting T.O. won't return next year, because Jerry has said he would, (but Jerry also said he would say that about every player on the team at that point in time), but I am beginning to hear some things that make me question whether it's a certainty that T.O. will return.

For example:

1) On his radio interview today, Wade hedged a bit on the question of T.O. returning and said he and Jerry would discuss it and he mentioned the roster bonus that is coming due.

2) Then tonight on his "Around the League" report, Adam Schefter brought up the question about T.O.'s return next season and said Jerry and Wade would discuss it. Schefter then mentioned the cap savings to Dallas if T. O. is not retained. Schefter did not say anything to indicate T.O. was definitely returning next year.

3) Then you add in the curious tidbit about T.O.'s nameplate not being on his locker and the only other player that was missing was Bledsoe (who everyone knows is not coming back) and I begin to wonder if there aren't some signs that say T. O. may not return next year.

Thoughts?

I am sure they have to re-examine or re-evaluate all key personnel relative to their performance effectiveness and compensation. Maybe his hefty signing bonus is a consideration to some point. But how do we know that T.O. won't be willing to restructure? One thing for sure he has to be happier about the coaching situation.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
cowboyed;1371349 said:
I am sure they have to re-examine or re-evaluate all key personnel relative to their performance effectiveness and compensation. Maybe his hefty signing bonus is a consideration to some point. But how do we know that T.O. won't be willing to restructure? One thing for sure he has to be happier about the coaching situation.

I agree about the coaching situation, but I'm just not convinced Jerry is satisfied with T.O.

It doesn't have as much to do with the "distractions" he brings, as it does the fact that he just didn't play the WR position up to the level he was being paid. I'm not talking about dropping balls as much as I am the reports that he didn't beat press coverage, wasn't consistent in his routes, etc. We all blame the coaches for not getting T.O. the ball and certainly that was part of it, but the other side of that is that T.O. never got comfortable in the offense as it wasn't the West Coast scheme he preferred.

j_stuckly

Reaction score
Look at what you save if you cut Terry Glenn. She is a Parcells player. I am wondering if he is cut and TO stays. I can't see Jerry letting his pick get cut if he has a choice of 2 players to cut and say him money.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'm not saying he won't be back, but I do think it's not a slam dunk that he will be back. Besides the things CA mentioned, local radio has been saying that they are hearing different things as far as bringing him back. From what they say, it's not even the "distractions" so much as just that Jerry wasn't sure he got his money's worth with all the drops.

Right now I would bet that he will be back, but I do think there's some doubt in Jerry's mind.

David said:
think they'll look at the draft and maybe even free agency some after the draft, then couple that with how TO acts between now and June and decide what to do...if Owens isnt showing up for workouts or complaining left and right about the new offense or his role, he might be looking for work
But they already said after T.O.'s hand surgery that he'd miss minicamps... Unless they've changed the prognosis, that will make it tough to evaluate anything. I doubt he'll even be in town until he's completely healed, which might be in August.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
T.o. Is Not Going To Leave Hes Playing Here For The Years To Come Aight.......he Is Probably Doing The Name Plate Thing Like That Other Guy On The Thread Said.........i Mean Ppl Cant Stop Inventing **** About My Guy, Terrell Owens He Made Our Offense Look Better U All Know Dat....he Is Tony Romos Best Freind He Wont Leave

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1371423 said:
I'm not saying he won't be back, but I do think it's not a slam dunk that he will be back. Besides the things CA mentioned, local radio has been saying that they are hearing different things as far as bringing him back. From what they say, it's not even the "distractions" so much as just that Jerry wasn't sure he got his money's worth with all the drops.

Right now I would bet that he will be back, but I do think there's some doubt in Jerry's mind.

But they already said after T.O.'s hand surgery that he'd miss minicamps... Unless they've changed the prognosis, that will make it tough to evaluate anything. I doubt he'll even be in town until he's completely healed, which might be in August.

CL,

You hit on what I was thinking. It's still early and the decision doesn't have to be made for a while, but if we're paying attention there are whispers out there that indicate Jerry isn't as solidly in T.O.'s corner as everyone assumes.

Also, I give Jerry credit. I believe the Phillips hire showed he could make a decision that went against CW and showed he wasn't as shallow thinking as everyone assumed. Wade is all about team and family and T.O. doesn't fit that concept. I also believe Jerry will rely on Wade's input much more than the media gives him credit for.

superpunk

Reaction score
Reading the tea leaves, eh?

Those things could be definite signs, I'll admit. It is odd that his si the only cleaned out locker, and that in an interview he didn't sound convinved that he would be back. Maybe the idea all along was for this to be a one year thing.

Wouldn't it be odd, if Jerry made him go away? What would happen to the talking heads? Suddenly, all their speculation about Jerry forcing TO on Bill goes away, the world might end.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
superpunk;1371446 said:
Reading the tea leaves, eh?

Those things could be definite signs, I'll admit. It is odd that his si the only cleaned out locker, and that in an interview he didn't sound convinved that he would be back. Maybe the idea all along was for this to be a one year thing.

Wouldn't it be odd, if Jerry made him go away? What would happen to the talking heads? Suddenly, all their speculation about Jerry forcing TO on Bill goes away, the world might end.

You make a good point. T.O. himself has said things that indicate he questions whether he's coming back. But most ignore it and go on assuming it's a foregone conclusion that he will be back.

superpunk

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1371456 said:
You make a good point. T.O. himself has said things that indicate he questions whether he's coming back. But most ignore it and go on assuming it's a foregone conclusion that he will be back.
At this point, that's the only conclusion you can come to. The rest is just speculation. Which is fun...but requires a bit of a stretch in this case and connecting some dots that are pretty far apart. Because, for every thing we find for seeing that TO may be on rocky ground, we can find another quote that says the opposite.

TO's insane. There's no way to predict what will happen. His whole time here has been crazy. It wouldn't surprise me if he's cut. It wouldn't surprise me if he stays and makes the pro-bowl.