Anyone else displeased by the possibility of Lawson @ 18?

neosapien23

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
Wow, you can't be any more off. Don't eat for one day and sit in the sauna for 30 minutes. You will lose 7 pounds guaranteed.

Even better for ya though, head to a gym 5 days a week for a few hours for 28 days and if you don't put on 10 pounds of muscle with a trainer then you have physical problems that need looked into.

What is the ideal weight for a LB that would take him 2 years to get to from 233?:eek:

250 lbs at least for OLB in the 3-4. Your first statement about not eating for one day and sitting in a sauna for 30 minutes in a bit of a stretch. Boxers and professional UFC fighters have been known to stay in a sauna for 4-5 hours just to shed 8 pounds, but its all water weight and can be gained back just by replinishing one's liquids.

If someone has worked out their entire life, they are not going to put on that much weight in 28 days. Lawson is in peak physical condition, it might not be possible for him to put 17 pounds right now. The team that drafts him will have to be very patient.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
while I still think your off about his weight issues the key factor here is that there are more then a few teams that disagree with you. I don't see his size being an issue at all. Compared to other LB's in this draft he's just about in the middle of the pack.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Again, could someone please point me towards a link about Lawson being 233?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Its already been posted in other threads that Rick Gosselin reported Manny is already at 251.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
I would not compare Lawson to Ware. We picked Ware 11th in the draft. He was more of a "sure thing" than Lawson. I like Lawson OK. I wouldn't be too upset, but I'm betting Parcells goes with Carpenter (perhaps after trading down a few spots). Carpenter seems like more of a sure thing to me. He will be a good 3-4 LB. He may not end up being great, but then again, he could. That's just my opinion, which isn't worth much actually.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Picking Carpenter is the right thing to do for this defense. People may whine at first, but you will rejoice when you see Carpenter roll over someone and mutilate the QB.

We have our Lawson and his name is Demarcus Ware. It will be fun watching this defense go from a finess type to a dog faced bone crushing unit.

I won't be mad at the pick, no matter who it is, but if it's Carpenter, we're going to have to get the POPCORN and the HOTDOGS ready.

I agree. Carpenter is the right pick. Lawson, at his best, is another Demarcus Ware.

SouthernStar

Reaction score
I trust Parcells when picking the linebacker. That's why he will go with a Carpenter type to compliment what we have in Ware.

Oh yeah, I trust Parcells in this. I may not trust him in too much else, but this, yes.

neosapien23

Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Its already been posted in other threads that Rick Gosselin reported Manny is already at 251.

Is that info current? I really want Manny Lawson to be drafted, but not if he actually weighed in at 233 lbs. Do you have a link to Gosselin's article? I would like to show it to my older brother, he is drinkin the haterade and was the one who told me Lawson was at such a low weight.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Or we could go the Commander route and not draft LBs high at all. Just find guys that fit your system and plug them in.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Is that info current? I really want Manny Lawson to be drafted, but not if he actually weighed in at 233 lbs. Do you have a link to Gosselin's article? I would like to show it to my older brother, he is drinkin the haterade and was the one who told me Lawson was at such a low weight.
It was in a draft webcast by the DMN.com and wfaa.com

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54114

BY 123456, Goose says Manny Lawson is 251?! *** JJT is on now, they have just finished a interview with Jerry Jones.

JJT is suprised that JJ admitted that he was looking Defense.

Goose says an OLB that can pash rush makes everybody on D better and that Manny is the best at doing that in the draft.

Now he just said that Carpenter could be goen by the 18th pick. He is all over the place.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was all for Lawson, but after re-watching the scout videos, I am not as sold on him as I once was. I think he will be a fantastic player, but I don't believe he has what we need in a SOLB. Wimbley and Carpenter seem better suited for that position. If we didn't have Ware, then Lawson would definitely be the guy.

I still wouldn't be displeased if we did draft him though, but I would rather have Wimbley or Carpenter at this point.

burmafrd

Reaction score
He was at 241 at the combine in mid Feb. March 22 at his pro day he was at 238. Not much movement there. NOW if he was really working at it since his pro day he could put on 10 lbs or so. Ferguson put on 17 lbs in a little over a month.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
I thought this 233 mess sounded like bovine excrement.

rexrobinson

Reaction score
theogt said:
I thought this 233 mess sounded like bovine excrement.

much like a lot of what gets posted here about Lawson, citing other posters as offical sources LOL.

Manny is bad at stopping the run and gets hung up on offensive tackles easily, however, he played on the blind side as a DE against the best OT on every team, and yet they STILL ran at the strong side?

Growing so tired hearing what stupid "Draft Experts" who are no more that sports journalist with no credible sources getting people to pay them money to get inside info that you can find on any message board.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
much like a lot of what gets posted here about Manny, citing other posters as offical sources LOL.

Manny is bad at stopping the run and gets hung up on offensive tackles easily, however, he played on the blind side as a DE against the best OT on every team, and yet they STILL run at strong side?

Growing so tired hearing what stupid "Draft Experts" who are no more that sports journalist with no credible sources getting people to pay them money to get inside info that you can find on any message board.
I was amazed at how many posters picked up on the 233 bit. We could do an experiment and throw out some false facts to see how quickly it becomes regarded as fact here on CZ.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
I remember something about Merriman being called a work out warrior last year as well. Good work out numbers don't make you a work out warrior. It makes you athletically gifted. Lawson was a projected #1 pick based on his play. Good workouts only solidified that. Isnt that what dedicated and talented prospects are supposed to? Use the workouts to build on their draft status?

1. A "WOrkout warrior" doesn't refer to someone who puts up great workout numbers. It refers to someone that puts up great workout numbers but can't play football worth a crap.

2. Lawson was NOT considered a first round pick before his workout numbers. His workout numbers have put him in the 1st/2nd round range. Some had him as a 3rd or second day pick before the combine. His workout numbers have increased his draft stock considerably just like it did with Ware last year.

I would be after finding out Lawson only weighed 233 lbs as of right now. Dallas needs a linebacker to come in at least 240 lbs.

All that 233 and 251 crap is misinformation right now. He's probably still at around 240.

maby if we take hair samples of all 3 we can start now on cloning the perfect Outside Linebacker that will be ready for the Cowboys in 23 years.

That would be immoral and unethical.

I'm in!

Wow, you can't be any more off. Don't eat for one day and sit in the sauna for 30 minutes

Don't eat for a day? Might as well ask me not to breath for an hour!

Again, could someone please point me towards a link about Lawson being 233?

I doubt it exists. And if it does, it's likely not true.

I doubt he's at 251 as well. That would be a gain of 13 lbs in about a month. Unless he's using the Barry Bonds method (which i doubt) he didn't gain 13 lbs of muscle in a month. Like I said, he's likely still at around 240.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I love your opinions Rack but I have to disagree that Lawson was not a projected 1st round pick before the combine. There were more then a few people who had him projected even as high as to us at 18 before the combine.

About the not eating, I hear ya but I have cousin who's a gym rat and he does it twice a month to cleanse his system of toxins he says and I don't get it. lol

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yes, Rack knows more than Rick Gosselin.:p:

Rick Gosselin doesn't know a thing about the draft prospects.:lmao: