Anyone else displeased by the possibility of Lawson @ 18?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Kirwan isn't even saying he's 233, he said that a couple of teams told him. They could have lied, or they could have had him right after his pro day. Lawson has been working out at one of those training complexes for draft picks. I'm thinking Gosselin isn't going to throw that number out there unless its correct seeing that his city's team is the one he has taking him.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
littlewebs said:
Hey Virginiafan, I love Ngata, as I am from Oregon, but I have a question for you: What can you tell me about Kwakou Robinson? He's on UVa and is like 330 pounds but not highly rated. Is he just like a bump on a log or what? Would he be a good late round pickup?
Don't know anything about him. Sorry. I follow the Hokies mainly.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't know if this information has been posted yet. Sorry if it is a repost. Manny Lawson weighed in at 233 lbs. Alot of people could not provide a link and it was being passed as a rumor. I just talked to my older brother and he learned of Lawson's light weight from Sirus radio. I don't know how credible the report is, but that is where the rumor is originating from. Has anyone else heard this information on Sirus? Who was the person giving this info? Pat Kirwan?

At this point it's all misinformation. I don't believe he weighs 233 and I don't believe he weighs 251. But if any of the two are correct, the 233 one is more likely considering he lost 3 lbs from the combine to his pro day. So if the trend continued then he very well could of lost another 5 lbs by now.

Still, I doubt it. He probably still weighs around 240.

Bill Parcells spit in the parking lot of Valley Ranch this morning....

that spit knows more about football than any of us

Maybe you and theogt should go have a chat with BP's spit. You two might learn something.

Sorry, had to do it. Too good to pass up.

It will have to be whataburger or MacDonalds.We don't have Carl Jr's in the Dallas area.

You serious? Hell I live in the butthole of texas and even we have a Carl's Jr. I went to school at Midwestern and even that town, Wichita Falls, had a Carls Jr. And Wichita Falls isn't far from Dallas.

Throw him some triple meat whataburgers with bacon. ****, now I'm hungry.

Thanks for making me crave whataburger now. I have to go to work in a bit and I drive right by whataburger on the way. I can feel my arteries hardening now...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
Kirwan isn't even saying he's 233, he said that a couple of teams told him. They could have lied, or they could have had him right after his pro day. Lawson has been working out at one of those training complexes for draft picks. I'm thinking Gosselin isn't going to throw that number out there unless its correct seeing that his city's team is the one he has taking him.

From the time of the combine till he proday he lost 3 lbs. That's already almost halfway to the 8 lbs he would have to lose to get to 233 (from his combine weight). It's not out of the question.

Still, he's likely still around 240.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Awakened said:
I would not compare Lawson to Ware. We picked Ware 11th in the draft. He was more of a "sure thing" than Lawson.

how was Ware more of a "sure thing"? he was a DE from a small-school that never lined up at OLB before

Ware did the same thing Lawson is doing now, had good college production, a great workout, and fit exactly into the 3-4, pass-rushing OLB mold

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
why are you guys seperating Lawson and Carpenter? saying we don't need Lawson because he's just a pass-rusher? when Carpenter is a great pass-rusher too, and his pass-rushing skills being the main reason we're looking at him

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
and remember guys, the 3-4 is designed so that you disguise who the 3rd blitzer is, which means you have to have 2 guys blitzing, and at the moment, we only have one who's capable of doing that

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
why are you guys seperating Lawson and Carpenter? saying we don't need Lawson because he's just a pass-rusher? when Carpenter is a great pass-rusher too, and his pass-rushing skills being the main reason we're looking at him

Not sure I understand that too well, but..

Obviously any OLB we draft has to have SOME pass rush skills. But he'll be a SOLB so he has to be able to play the run as well. When someone says Lawson is JUST a pass rusher, they mean to say he wouldn't hold up against the run too well.

Lawson would be a great pick for us if we didn't have Ware.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Just incase anyone is worried that because Carpenter is slower than Lawson, therefore Lawson will be better at rushing the passer....
Here are the NFLs top 5 LB sack leaders and their 40 times of last year.

Joey Porter = 10.5 Sacks = 4.68 - 40 Time
Shawne Merriman = 10 Sacks = 4.63 - 40 Time
Clark Haggans = 9 Sacks = 5.04 - 40 Time ( I could walk the 40 faster than that)
Adalius Thomas = 9 Sacks = 4.59 - 40 Time
DeMarcus Ware = 8 Sacks = 4.53 - 40 Time

These stats only mean that your 40 time is the least of your concern when it's time to get after the QB.

40 time means crap getting to the QB, the true barometer of one's pass-rushing effectiveness would be to look at their 10-yard dash time, and vertical jump, I know Ware had something like a 38 inch vert and a heck of a 10-yard dash time, Lawson and Carpenter both have good measurables in those regards too I believe

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
and remember guys, the 3-4 is designed so that you disguise who the 3rd blitzer is, which means you have to have 2 guys blitzing, and at the moment, we only have one who's capable of doing that

Actually it's to disquise the ONE blitzer (for the most part). The 3 DL will be rushing 99.9% of the time, but the 3-4 disquises who the 4th will be.

Unless you play the 3-4 like we did last year then Ware will be the 4th guy almost every time.

Parcells doesn't like to blitz a whole bunch of people, but having a SOLB that can play the run and blitz/rush the passer is a necessity in the 3-4.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
40 time means crap getting to the QB, the true barometer of one's pass-rushing effectiveness would be to look at their 10-yard dash time, and vertical jump, I know Ware had something like a 38 inch vert and a heck of a 10-yard dash time, Lawson and Carpenter both have good measurables in those regards too I believe

Actually I think the 10 yard dash, short shuttle, and 3-cone drills are the most important. The shuttle and 3-cone drills show how well/quickly the player changes direction.

But one of the most important aspects to rushing the passer isn't even measured at the combine. How well a player uses his hands is just as important to rushing the passer as his 10 yard dash time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
Actually I think the 10 yard dash, short shuttle, and 3-cone drills are the most important. The shuttle and 3-cone drills show how well/quickly the player changes direction.

But one of the most important aspects to rushing the passer isn't even measured at the combine. How well a player uses his hands is just as important to rushing the passer as his 10 yard dash time.

all good points, but vert measures your explosiveness, per Gil Brandt, or was it Pat Kirwan? can't remember, but anyways, so you have to put it up with those 4 you mentioned

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
all good points, but vert measures your explosiveness, per Gil Brandt, or was it Pat Kirwan? can't remember, but anyways, so you have to put it up with those 4 you mentioned

I agree with the jump being important too, but I think the broad jump is more important then the vertical. The broad jump is closer to an actual football movement then the vertical. Both are imporant though.

ALL of them are more important then 40 times. Especially 40 times in a straight line w/no one trying to block you while you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt and get to line up in a track stance.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
ALL of them are more important then 40 times. Especially 40 times in a straight line w/no one trying to block you while you're wearing shorts and a t-shirt and get to line up in a track stance.

yep, and also, another important attribute above 40 times, staying low while turning the corner, fluidly mind you, remember Zimmer talking about how good WAre was at that, and how bad Ekubust was?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yep, and also, another important attribute above 40 times, staying low while turning the corner, fluidly mind you, remember Zimmer talking about how good WAre was at that, and how bad Ekubust was?

The shuttle and 3-cone drill measure that. Cuz if you don't stay low when running those drills you will not have a good time.

Wimbley's results:

10'9" broad jump

38 1/2" vertical

6.97 3-cone (very good time for a LB/DL)

There was no 20 yard shuttle time for him at the combine. He ran a 4.42 at his proday (not great)

Manny Lawson:

10'4" broad jump

39 1/2" vertical

6.9 3-cone (again, good time for a LB/DL)

4.18 short shuttle (good time)

Bobby Carpenter:

didn't perform at the combine due to injury.

According to Brandt he was only about 90% at his proday.

10'4" broad jump

34 1/2" vertical

4.31 short shuttle (solid time)

6.88 3-cone (very good time)

So after looking at all that... they still all look the same. lol

Would of liked to have seen Carpenter perform healthy and after training for the combine. Not that it would of mattered. He still did very good despite the injury putting him behind in his training.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
The shuttle and 3-cone drill measure that. Cuz if you don't stay low when running those drills you will not have a good time.

I thought the shuttle was towards measuring how well you could turn and run in coverage?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
I thought the shuttle was towards measuring how well you could turn and run in coverage?

The shuttle times how well you change direction. So really it's good for measuring both.

I use to have a pretty good shuttle time before I got old and fat. But was never very fast in the 40 (4.7 was my fastest).

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
peplaw06 said:
Please somebody tell this to all the people who are calling Burnett a bust after one half of a season:rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I haven't forgot about Burnett, I expect him to make his mark, in his sophmore season. There's a reason we used our 2nd round pick on this guy. When I saw him in the Cotton Bowl his SR. year, he was amazing, a one man wrecking crew.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I would be after finding out Lawson only weighed 233 lbs as of right now. Dallas needs a linebacker to come in at least 240 lbs.

Yeah..that 7 pounds of water is disastrous.:eek::rolleyes:

Hiero

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Sorry, but I am.
Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, as well.
He's a freak and will probably be a good player.
But he is not what we need (IMO). Not by a longshot.
And it scares me that he looks more and more like this draft's "workout warrior".
so all the production in college, including being two time defensive line mvp means nothing because all he is is a "workout warrior" :rolleyes: