Anyone else displeased by the possibility of Lawson @ 18?

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Picking Carpenter is the right thing to do for this defense. People may whine at first, but you will rejoice when you see Carpenter roll over someone and mutilate the QB.

We have our Lawson and his name is Demarcus Ware. It will be fun watching this defense go from a finess type to a dog faced bone crushing unit.

I won't be mad at the pick, no matter who it is, but if it's Carpenter, we're going to have to get the POPCORN and the HOTDOGS ready.

YEAH BUDDY, I like the way you think!!

Killersanta

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Sorry, but I am.
Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, as well.
He's a freak and will probably be a good player.
But he is not what we need (IMO). Not by a longshot.
And it scares me that he looks more and more like this draft's "workout warrior".
me...

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
Sorry, but I am.
Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, as well.
He's a freak and will probably be a good player.
But he is not what we need (IMO). Not by a longshot.
And it scares me that he looks more and more like this draft's "workout warrior".
As I said on another thread, I'm fine with Lawson but true contentment can only be derived from Ngata.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia said:
As I said on another thread, I'm fine with Lawson but true contentment can only be derived from Ngata.

Hey Virginiafan, I love Ngata, as I am from Oregon, but I have a question for you: What can you tell me about Kwakou Robinson? He's on UVa and is like 330 pounds but not highly rated. Is he just like a bump on a log or what? Would he be a good late round pickup?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Just incase anyone is worried that because Carpenter is slower than Lawson, therefore Lawson will be better at rushing the passer....
Here are the NFLs top 5 LB sack leaders and their 40 times of last year.

Joey Porter = 10.5 Sacks = 4.68 - 40 Time
Shawne Merriman = 10 Sacks = 4.63 - 40 Time
Clark Haggans = 9 Sacks = 5.04 - 40 Time ( I could walk the 40 faster than that)
Adalius Thomas = 9 Sacks = 4.59 - 40 Time
DeMarcus Ware = 8 Sacks = 4.53 - 40 Time

These stats only mean that your 40 time is the least of your concern when it's time to get after the QB.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Just incase anyone is worried that because Carpenter is slower than Lawson, therefore Lawson will be better at rushing the passer....
Here are the NFLs top 5 LB sack leaders and their 40 times of last year.

Joey Porter = 10.5 Sacks = 4.68 - 40 Time
Shawne Merriman = 10 Sacks = 4.63 - 40 Time
Clark Haggans = 9 Sacks = 5.04 - 40 Time ( I could walk the 40 faster than that)
Adalius Thomas = 9 Sacks = 4.59 - 40 Time
DeMarcus Ware = 8 Sacks = 4.53 - 40 Time

These stats only mean that your 40 time is the least of your concern when it's time to get after the QB.

Might want to also add other great pass rushers that didn't do "great" last year. Such as...

Terrell Suggs (4.9 40 and he had 8 sacks and 2 ints last year playing both DE and OLB).

Simeon Rice = 14 sacks = 4.8 40.

Julius Peppers ran like a 4.7 at his pro day. He had 10.5 sacks last year.

Speed does not = great pass rusher.

And "lack of" speed does not = bad pass rusher.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rack said:
Might want to also add other great pass rushers that didn't do "great" last year. Such as...

Terrell Suggs (4.9 40 and he had 8 sacks and 2 ints last year playing both DE and OLB).

Simeon Rice = 14 sacks = 4.8 40.

Julius Peppers ran like a 4.7 at his pro day. He had 10.5 sacks last year.

Speed does not = great pass rusher.

And "lack of" speed does not = bad pass rusher.
Exactly. In this league, you'd better have moves/power/leverage. Speed will only do so much...

When Ware tried to just run around tackles, he would be strung out wide all day long. It wasn't until he set his speed up by trying a couple of inside moves when he was able to dominate.

Carpenter will not be going after the QB on every down, neither will Lawson.
There may be 4 downs in a row where these guys will be in coverage. And when it's time for a Kansas City Chiefs type team with a good pulling run game, and you have a guard/tackle/FB coming at you full speed, you'd better have size and power to shed blocks, and Carpenter has that.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I trust Bill Parcells in drafting 3-4 linebackers. He doesn't need us telling him what kind of linebacker he needs.

If we get Lawson, it tells us what Parcells envisions this defense doing. Likewise, a Carpenter selection indicates a slightly different direction with the position. Same with Wimbley.

Each player seems worthy of the selection, bringing a slightly different skill, but still skilled nonetheless.

neosapien23

Reaction score
I don't know if this information has been posted yet. Sorry if it is a repost. Manny Lawson weighed in at 233 lbs. Alot of people could not provide a link and it was being passed as a rumor. I just talked to my older brother and he learned of Lawson's light weight from Sirus radio. I don't know how credible the report is, but that is where the rumor is originating from. Has anyone else heard this information on Sirus? Who was the person giving this info? Pat Kirwan?

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't know if this information has been posted yet. Sorry if it is a repost. Manny Lawson weighed in at 233 lbs. Alot of people could not provide a link and it was being passed as a rumor. I just talked to my older brother and he learned of Lawson's light weight from Sirus radio. I don't know how credible the report is, but that is where the rumor is originating from. has

I believe Pat Kirwan has reported that weight. Goose Gosselin has also said 251.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
rexrobinson said:
Bill Parcells spit in the parking lot of Valley Ranch this morning....

that spit knows more about football than any of us.

:lmao:

LMAO Can I use that for my sig? It's hilarious.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
I don't know if this information has been posted yet. Sorry if it is a repost. Manny Lawson weighed in at 233 lbs. Alot of people could not provide a link and it was being passed as a rumor. I just talked to my older brother and he learned of Lawson's light weight from Sirus radio. I don't know how credible the report is, but that is where the rumor is originating from. has
Interesting - Thanks for the info.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
Killer Santa, I absolutely love that mock.

As for the Lawson thing, In Tuna I trust but we already got a better Lawson in Ware. There are a lot of tweeners in the 4-5 range that could be developed into some good players, perhaps great.

Some that come to mind include Hawkins,Guillory,McClover (likely to go higher), Frostee Rucker (who doesnt want a Frostee?),and Gocong.

I see the D,D,O scenario playing out as DB,DL,G with no particular order for any.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Dale said:
I believe Pat Kirwan has reported that weight. Goose Gosselin has also said 251.

You sir are correct. I just found the link to his article. It did state that his weight was any where from 233 lbs (some team visits) to his combine weight which is 238 lbs. Did not give a very definitive answer. Here is the link to his article for those intrested. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9392296

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
You sir are correct. I just found the link to his article. It did state that his weight was any where from 233 lbs (some team visits) to his combine weight which is 238 lbs. Did not give a very definitive answer. Here is the link to his article for those intrested. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9392296
Thanks for digging that up. Helps my debates..:)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Thanks for digging that up. Helps my debates..:)
So who you gonna trust? Kirwan or Gosselin? I say split the difference. He's probably still sittin' at around 240. As I mentioned earlier he's wanting to gain weight, so he'll likely be between 245-250 by TC.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:
Send him to Carl Jr's for lunch and let him weigh in again or better yet, throw him in a NFL weight room for a month. There's a crazy idea.
It will have to be whataburger or MacDonalds.We don't have Carl Jr's in the Dallas area.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ratmatt said:
It will have to be whataburger or MacDonalds.We don't have Carl Jr's in the Dallas area.
Throw him some triple meat whataburgers with bacon. ****, now I'm hungry.