Anyone else feel eerily confident?

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
I posted this earlier...sorry for repeating myself...actually, I'm really not sorry. :D

I dunno....maybe I'm missing something but I just don't agree with the hype about the Steelers defense. They remind me of a heavyweight fighter who's record is built up to an impressive 21-0 with 20 knockouts...and who then falls flat on his face vs a quality opponent.

They play on the worst field on the planet, so that immediately helps to pad their stats. If their offense was putting up huge numbers then I'd say the homefield isn't a factor in their defensive stats. But their offense sucks...partly due to that awful field and weather conditions.

I am also NOT impressed with their opponents. The game vs the Pats was a joke. The pats had struggled in the past four games before meeting the Steelers. They had already been held to less than 20 points in five games this season. And their schedule has been eaaaaaasy this year.

The Steelers have played against six truly crappy teams and have lost against 3 of the better teams on their schedule, the Eagles the Giants and the Colts. And of those three, the Giants are the only elite team. The Eagles and Colts are not ever very good teams, they're good.

When they beat the Commanders, Washington was already mired in the an offensive slump that is still going on...Washington scored 17/14/25 (vs Detroit) 10/20 (vs Seattle) and 7. Right in the middle of that mess, they scored 6 vs the Steelers. I'm not impressed.

The Chargers lost five out of six when the Steelers beat them by a whopping ONE point.

Tomorrow's game might again be decided by the elements. But as far as this Steeler team, straight up, I'm not impressed.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hostile;2464929 said:
Eerily confident is a good way to put it.

I like the fact that ESPN has been all over Pittsburgh. I like that their pass rush is being lauded as amazing while ours gets a secondary mention. I like that our backs are against the wall. I like the we have some key injuries and they might cause us to be more aggressive. I know that one sounds strange.

Normally a game like this would tie me in knots. I haven't been feeling that way all week.

That pretty much sums up my thinking as well.

Pitt has an undeniably great defense but I just do not think they have the advantage over our offense that our defense does over theirs.

Pitt puts most offenses in positions where they get uncomfortable. They pressure the QB, they get long distance on 3rd down going, they cause turnovers. Frankly our offense is just as dangerous when it is 3rd and long and you are pass-rushing us. We have offensive turnovers weekly. We see bad situations and still have long drives that break defenses backs.

I just think the OL is healthier and Romo is healthier and we will be the best offense Pitt faces all season long. I think that's an easy bet because I think with a healthy Romo and reasonably healthy OL we are the best offense in the league.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Nav22;2464846 said:
I'm not too worried about tomorrow's game at all. Seriously. All week, I've had this tremendous feeling of confidence regarding tomorrow's game. As if we were facing the Raiders tomorrow.

Pittsburgh is not as good as advertised. Their offense doesn't scare me. Their OL is garbage (especially in pass protection) and Big Ben can't shake free rushers the way Tony can. Not even close. He's not in Tony's class, and he knows it. There's a reason the insecure little **** is running his mouth about Tony's personal life.

Romo is the source for 80% of my confidence. He's that good, folks. I find myself saying it more and more, but we're incredibly fortunate to have #9 behind center. He gives us a great chance each and every week, and he will be the primary reason this team gets into the playoffs.

Pittsburgh wants to blitz? Good. I hope they blitz their little hearts out for 4 quarters tomorrow.

Leave T.O., Roy, and/or Witten in single coverage and pray that Tony forgets how to consistently avoid the rush. Pray that Tony doesn't make James Harrison into his b-word time and time again. Pray that Tony Romo is not Tony Romo.

If you want to call Pittsburgh the favorite based on home-field advantage alone, do it. Your mistake, not mine. They've lost twice at home this year, to the Giants and to the Colts. Dallas will become the 3rd.

27-10 'Boys :starspin

Not really-the last 5 opening Dec games I felt SKY HIGH confidence...only for them to put out poor showings, even despite the wins in a couple of those years.(Aside from the Seattle Mon nighter in '04)

I'm keeping my expectations low.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Juke99;2464938 said:
I posted this earlier...sorry for repeating myself...actually, I'm really not sorry. :D

I dunno....maybe I'm missing something but I just don't agree with the hype about the Steelers defense. They remind me of a heavyweight fighter who's record is built up to an impressive 21-0 with 20 knockouts...and who then falls flat on his face vs a quality opponent.

They play on the worst field on the planet, so that immediately helps to pad their stats. If their offense was putting up huge numbers then I'd say the homefield isn't a factor in their defensive stats. But their offense sucks...partly due to that awful field and weather conditions.

I am also NOT impressed with their opponents. The game vs the Pats was a joke. The pats had struggled in the past four games before meeting the Steelers. They had already been held to less than 20 points in five games this season. And their schedule has been eaaaaaasy this year.

The Steelers have played against six truly crappy teams and have lost against 3 of the better teams on their schedule, the Eagles the Giants and the Colts. And of those three, the Giants are the only elite team. The Eagles and Colts are not ever very good teams, they're good.

When they beat the Commanders, Washington was already mired in the an offensive slump that is still going on...Washington scored 17/14/25 (vs Detroit) 10/20 (vs Seattle) and 7. Right in the middle of that mess, they scored 6 vs the Steelers. I'm not impressed.

The Chargers lost five out of six when the Steelers beat them by a whopping ONE point.

Tomorrow's game might again be decided by the elements. But as far as this Steeler team, straight up, I'm not impressed.

And remember Merriman didn't play in the Chargers game, of course. And LT is having a rotten year to boot.

You're right, the difference was by ONLY ONE point despite all that.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
I think the talk coming out of Pitt by the players says they think the weather and them just showing up at HF equates to a win. In other words i think this is the one game this year where we are actually being taken lightly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Boysboy;2464967 said:
Not really-the last 5 opening Dec games I felt SKY HIGH confidence...only for them to put out poor showings, even despite the wins in a couple of those years.(Aside from the Seattle Mon nighter in '04)

I'm keeping my expectations low.

All the talk of December swoons to me is quite hollow.

And here's why:
1. The past Dallas teams were not all that talented. Certainly not 5 years or ago or even 4.
2. The last games have generally not held a ton of importance. We were so good last year up to December that December was meaningless for us beyond some stat padding.
3. For this game and for many of these December games, for once, these games are more important to us than they are to the opponent. Pitt is in the playoffs almost assuredly, the Giants have pretty much locked up the top NFC seed, Philly is basically out of the playoff picture.

I think this team built this year toward December as opposed to past seasons. This team has eaten a lot of criticism and faced some adversity. They also have two gritty second half of the season wins under their belt already with Tampa and Washington.

ohiocowboysfan25

Reaction score
Everything I've heard this whole week says Dallas doesn't win this game and won't be making the playoffs. Nobody out there is giving us a chance at anything this year so I think they need to show everyone that they're for real. I would like more then anything for Dallas to go all the way and prove all those talking head morons wrong.

The Panch

Reaction score
The problem with this team has been overconfidence. It's that same overconfidence that brought them losses against inferior opponents. Im supposed to feel that same overconfidence on the road, not at full strength against a playoff team? No, thank you.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I'm confident as well. You could spend all day looking at the stats (I have, lol) and the only conclusion that can be reached is that Romo is a stud and the Steelers are over hyped.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
Nothing eerie about knowing we have a very talented team, that can play at a high level and overcome tough conditions.

A popular refrain this year has been that if you punch the Cowboys in the mouth, they will fold. The people saying this have obviously missed the salient point of how Romo has overcome numerous turnovers to keep his head and force a win (Buffalo last year), or how a hot Philly team answered time and again in the 3rd game of the year and fought hard only to have the Cowboys have the last laugh.

It's a tough game tomorrow, but it's not as if they have to overcome David and Goliath like proportions to win it. I am psyched to watch this game and look forward to seeing them prove their mettle.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2464929 said:

I like the fact that ESPN has been all over Pittsburgh. I like that their pass rush is being lauded as amazing while ours gets a secondary mention. I like that our backs are against the wall. I like the we have some key injuries and they might cause us to be more aggressive. I know that one sounds strange.

Normally a game like this would tie me in knots. I haven't been feeling that way all week.

What's your plan for tomorrow? Watch the game online?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
The only thing that worries me in this game is Choice on the blitz pickups. It's going to be a serious trial by fire.

Other than that, I'm feeling pretty confident.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
THe only feeling I have is anticipation. I just cant wait to see our defense out there.

If I were participating in this game and I was a Dallas linebacker I would be ready to kill somebody after hearing about their linebackers all week.

and if I played for pittsburgh and I was a wr I would be dying to get lined up with henry and get an opportunity for a foot race. All you hear about is Dallas wr.

Jerry Jones said tonight on special edition that he feels this is a playoff game and every series and every play are critical for the whole season and that is why he is confident in this team. He said he felt some of the letdowns (something to that effect cant remember his term) were because the team needed to manufacture the urgency and now it is staring them in the face.

He said he felt ware and barber would play because this is basically a playoff game. They record that show on thursday, so that means nothing.

I felt 100% sure we would beat the skins in washington and I feel 100% sure we are going to beat the giants. I just am so excited about this game I have no feeling. I just love the look of these two teams on the field together, throw in the cold and snow...this is why I love the nfl.

I am leaning more confident than pessimistic, but this is a tough spot if we are behind at the end of the first qtr. But I am not sure I have ever wanted romo to win a game more than this one. Those people up there havent shown him one ounce of respect, nor has the media and I would love for espn to have to spend two days talking about romos day.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm concerned about each of the next three, but I think we match up better against Pit than we do against the Giants or the Ravens. I expect to win tomorrow, as long as we don't make stupid turnovers.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2464929 said:

Dude, I feel sorry for you living in Cardinals country. You know you're always welcome at my place to watch the game (courtesy of Mrs. Corleone's willingness to pay for my Sunday Ticket). I'll even spring for a pizza and some Dr. Pepper.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
CATCH17;2464869 said:
I'm worried about Flozell not blocking, Teshard vs zone blitzes, Packan fumbling, how we'll play in the weather, Roy Williams foot, and which Cowboys Defense shows up.

make that 2 of us. MARION IS A BIG PART OF OUR SUCCESS IN THE RUNNING GAME. hopefully choice will make an instant impact.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Like to see the positive energy in this thread but I'm just not feeling it like you guys.

Undisputed

Reaction score
If you think about it, why shouldn't we be confident? I think most football fans know that the Cowboys probably would have the same record as the Steelers if Romo hadn't gotten hurt. And if he hadn't gotten hurt, we may have the top ranked offense in the league right now. At least top 3. Not to mention, Romo is outstanding on the road. The whole team is.

So it is basically one of the top offenses against the top defense. Something has gotta give. We've seen "good offenses" get shutdown in the past and we've seen "good defenses" get exposed (we proved that so many times last year). I don't blame Steeler or Cowboy fans for being confident in their teams going into this one. Should be a good game.

And I expect America's Team to come out on top. :D:starspin