Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now?

noletime95

Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now? After the Packer collapse, confirmed lamb duck coach status and lack of meaningful FA activity there’s not cause for hope, much less optimism. The window is shut with CD and Micah due big extensions. The front office isn’t going to mortgage the future to build around its stars. Meanwhile the Commanders might be formidable pretty soon and the Giants probably tic up as well.

I don’t believe Dak is good enough to win with in the playoffs at his price tag given the organization’s philosophy. A full rebuild or retool would be more interesting. If Dak gets extended at 55 million+ it just extends the purgatory.

Even the draft, which I always look forward to, is just kinda meh. So many holes on this roster and let’s face it McClay and the boys whiffed big last April.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now? After the Packer collapse, confirmed lamb duck coach status and lack of meaningful FA activity there’s not cause for hope, much less optimism. The window is shut with CD and Micah due big extensions. The front office isn’t going to mortgage the future to build around its stars. Meanwhile the Commanders might be formidable pretty soon and the Giants probably tic up as well.

I don’t believe Dak is good enough to win with in the playoffs at his price tag given the organization’s philosophy. A full rebuild or retool would be more interesting. If Dak gets extended at 55 million+ it just extends the purgatory.

Even the draft, which I always look forward to, is just kinda meh. So many holes on this roster and let’s face it McClay and the boys whiffed big last April.
I think the Draft for me could be a cause to see some improvement with this franchise, if we pick up some starters at key positions, it can raise fan happiness just a BIT. But yeah, there's not much to be happy about these days, who knows!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Draft for me could be a cause to see some improvement with this franchise, if we pick up some starters at key positions, it can raise fan happiness just a BIT. But yeah, there's not much to be happy about these days, who knows!
I’m certainly hoping for a great draft. But pinning the success of our entire season on the backs of a rookie class is not a great plan. I’m guessing Lady Luck is our best hope.

Carson

Reaction score
Draft next week and they will sign a few FAs since they no longer count against the comp picks. Should change it up a bit here

Who am I kidding. Doesnt matter how it goes people will poop on it

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I’m certainly hoping for a great draft. But pinning the success of our entire season on the backs of a rookie class is not a great plan. I’m guessing Lady Luck is our best hope.
Oh no i'm not saying that, hence my words "improvement", I think they're hoping we can come out with some starters hopefully they're ready to go and have no injuries/setbacks because they'll surely be needed. Our core has to be the main body of this ship!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Draft next week and they will sign a few FAs since they no longer count against the comp picks. Should change it up a bit here

what do you mean by signing free agents and it doesn't count for the comp picks? I'm not an expert on this

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
IMG-20240420-081656.gif

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We are trying to replace what, 5-6 starters from last season. Can we or will each replacement be an upgrade? That will be my focus until training camp because it will say a lot about our ability to compete for the division.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
We are trying to replace what, 5-6 starters from last season. Can we or will each replacement be an upgrade? That will be my focus until training camp because it will say a lot about our ability to compete for the division.
we'll see who they get next week, then maybe some UDFA will get lucky and fall to us, then free agency in june

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score

I'm the same way I am the least enthusiastic about the draft as I have ever been. I would much rather watch the stars, mavs, or rangers. Those are real teams that might actually win something.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
True but you are replacing staters with rookies not worthy of draft picks.........not an upgrade (lol)
if we make trades and hopefully have a good draft, you're hoping that those guys can give you something. It's not realistic to say they won't have learning curves, but they'll be counted on heavily

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Nah. I always take an interest — it’s not like it takes hours of my day. I just don’t put in close to the amount of emotion as I did when I was a teenager/young adult anymore. Hope is always “out there” during draft time, preseason, the start of the season, etc., as long as there is some solid knowns and potential to be solid unknowns, and there is always a kind of “childhood” excitement when the team goes from bad to good. Sadly, I can’t seem to quit the team.

kskboys

Reaction score

Pretty much started for me in 09. A couple of times I've let a glimmer of hope in, but mostly I just laugh at the miserable doings of Jerry and the FO. I have to laugh for self preservation, BTW. Don't like it, but that's what it's become due to Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score

Of course. There is made up pooping, but then there is deserved pooping. The extreme failures of this FO due to a huge lack of simple football understanding makes it so. Are you proposing people ignore the truth?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I looked up when we were able to draft "some" starters. I dont even care about key positions.

2023 0 (our first round pick Mazi wasnt even able to beat out medicore competition)
2022 1 Smith (but only at Guard and not at Tackle what he was actually drafted for)
2021 1 Parsons
2020 2 Lamb, Diggs
2019 0 (you could give us a 1/2 starter because Connor was starting at the end of the year)
2018 2 x 1/2 because all 2 (LVE, Gallup) werent first day starter but became starters during the midth/end of the seaons
2017 0
2016 3 (Prescott, Elliot and A.Brown) --> this was by far our best draft in years. A lucky hit considering we werent even thinking about Prescott being a starter. Brown was a gem in the rough we found in round 6.

Point is: we are not a good drafting team. If we find one starter from that draft we all should consider this a very good draft for us. Two would be great but not to be expected. Finding "some" wont happen. But we want to replace 5-6 starters.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

I don't know, the forthcoming directional decisions are intriguing.
We've hit a watershed, whatever happens.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I looked up when we were able to draft "some" starters. I dont even care about key positions.

2023 0 (our first round pick Mazi wasnt even able to beat out medicore competition)
2022 1 Smith (but only at Guard and not at Tackle what he was actually drafted for)
2021 1 Parsons
2020 2 Lamb, Diggs
2019 0 (you could give us a 1/2 starter because Connor was starting at the end of the year)
2018 2 x 1/2 because all 2 (LVE, Gallup) werent first day starter but became starters during the midth/end of the seaons
2017 0

Point is: we are not a good drafting team. If we find one starter from that draft we all should consider this a very good draft for us. Two would be great but not to be expected. Finding "some" wont happen. But we want to replace 5-6 starters.
You do know a drafted player can be a KEY contributor w/o being a starter, right ????