Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I looked up when we were able to draft "some" starters. I dont even care about key positions.

2023 0 (our first round pick Mazi wasnt even able to beat out medicore competition)
2022 1 Smith (but only at Guard and not at Tackle what he was actually drafted for)
2021 1 Parsons
2020 2 Lamb, Diggs
2019 0 (you could give us a 1/2 starter because Connor was starting at the end of the year)
2018 2 x 1/2 because all 2 (LVE, Gallup) werent first day starter but became starters during the midth/end of the seaons
2017 0
2016 3 (Prescott, Elliot and A.Brown) --> this was by far our best draft in years. A lucky hit considering we werent even thinking about Prescott being a starter. Brown was a gem in the rough we found in round 6.

Point is: we are not a good drafting team. If we find one starter from that draft we all should consider this a very good draft for us. Two would be great but not to be expected. Finding "some" wont happen. But we want to replace 5-6 starters.
Let's look at who left this off season (that I can think of) Biadaz=We can't find a starter in this years draft to replace him, there's several guys that can, Pollard= He started but is he really a number 1 back, are the backs in this years draft a clear #1 back, there may be a few if that, Armstrong- He wasn't a a starter, more of a rotational guy= This years DE class in our round who knows, maybe chop robinson falls to us and gets time, could eventually be our starter replacing Lawrence soon

Tyron Smith= There's multiple tackles that you'll be looking to come in and compete to be a starter in this years draft

Gallup= We can find a WR early in the draft to come in and get some plays was he really a starter last season, wasn't good enough in all honesty

Reactions: CWR

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. For most of the last 30 years.

There's a draft next week and I couldn't care less if they postponed it.
Yep, apathy set in decades ago.

If you’re just now feeling it you’ve probably been part of the problem in recent years.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now? After the Packer collapse, confirmed lamb duck coach status and lack of meaningful FA activity there’s not cause for hope, much less optimism. The window is shut with CD and Micah due big extensions. The front office isn’t going to mortgage the future to build around its stars. Meanwhile the Commanders might be formidable pretty soon and the Giants probably tic up as well.

I don’t believe Dak is good enough to win with in the playoffs at his price tag given the organization’s philosophy. A full rebuild or retool would be more interesting. If Dak gets extended at 55 million+ it just extends the purgatory.

Even the draft, which I always look forward to, is just kinda meh. So many holes on this roster and let’s face it McClay and the boys whiffed big last April.
It's always exciting....the unknown is what keeps me going...the only thing that gets me down a bit is the constant whining and negativity by all the resident experts that dont know a damn thing. They have taken over this place. It's become a cesspool of ignorance....On the other hand, it is pretty comical and entertaining. Take the good with the bad, I guess.

starfan1

Reaction score
We are trying to replace what, 5-6 starters from last season. Can we or will each replacement be an upgrade? That will be my focus until training camp because it will say a lot about our ability to compete for the division.
Well I for one don’t think it will be too difficult to replace Tyler B and Gallup as for pollard we’ll see

The only starter of concern were to be replacing to me anyhow is Tyron but alas it’s time and he’s unpredictable on the injury front

Gilly I’m not concerned about replacing

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble finding any enthusiasm about the Cowboys right now? After the Packer collapse, confirmed lamb duck coach status and lack of meaningful FA activity there’s not cause for hope, much less optimism. The window is shut with CD and Micah due big extensions. The front office isn’t going to mortgage the future to build around its stars. Meanwhile the Commanders might be formidable pretty soon and the Giants probably tic up as well.

I don’t believe Dak is good enough to win with in the playoffs at his price tag given the organization’s philosophy. A full rebuild or retool would be more interesting. If Dak gets extended at 55 million+ it just extends the purgatory.

Even the draft, which I always look forward to, is just kinda meh. So many holes on this roster and let’s face it McClay and the boys whiffed big last April.
I hit the apathy wall early in the Garrett reign, but it really started creeping in back in the Parcells days. I won't post the video or content because Jerry uses a 4-letter word when explaining what he really thought of Parcels and why he was hired. Google "drunk Jerry Jones rips Parcells" if you want to know.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m certainly hoping for a great draft. But pinning the success of our entire season on the backs of a rookie class is not a great plan. I’m guessing Lady Luck is our best hope.
Yea , I hate to take away a glimmer of hope but it’s certainly not a good plan.

It continues to baffle me how so many fans can be so easily sold or buy into the hype each year.

I guess they just want to believe or struggle supporting a less successful organization.

Apathy is the only answer !!
Which is Jethro’s biggest concern.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I looked up when we were able to draft "some" starters. I dont even care about key positions.

2023 0 (our first round pick Mazi wasnt even able to beat out medicore competition)
2022 1 Smith (but only at Guard and not at Tackle what he was actually drafted for)
2021 1 Parsons
2020 2 Lamb, Diggs
2019 0 (you could give us a 1/2 starter because Connor was starting at the end of the year)
2018 2 x 1/2 because all 2 (LVE, Gallup) werent first day starter but became starters during the midth/end of the seaons
2017 0
2016 3 (Prescott, Elliot and A.Brown) --> this was by far our best draft in years. A lucky hit considering we werent even thinking about Prescott being a starter. Brown was a gem in the rough we found in round 6.

Point is: we are not a good drafting team. If we find one starter from that draft we all should consider this a very good draft for us. Two would be great but not to be expected. Finding "some" wont happen. But we want to replace 5-6 starters.
Jerry should call me. I would guide him how to trade down in the 1st twice to pick up extra needed picks, then advice him on who to pick in each round. Guaranteed 4 - 5 starters.

Aven8

Reaction score
I will say this. It feels like we are a team that went 3-14 last season with no hope. Similarly to the way Carolina fans must feel. Having said that I know we have a good team, it just feels like they don’t want to improve anything. It’s weird.

I also listen to local sports radio and they barely talk about us anymore. I also listen to NFL radio on Sirius and I haven’t heard them mention the Cowboys at all for weeks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well I for one don’t think it will be too difficult to replace Tyler B and Gallup as for pollard we’ll see

The only starter of concern were to be replacing to me anyhow is Tyron but alas it’s time and he’s unpredictable on the injury front

Gilly I’m not concerned about replacing
What about Gilmore and Armstrong.......you mention Pollard, Gallup and Tyler B. But Star, replacing is kinda easy, isn't it? To have a chance, do we not need to upgrade rather than replace?

We can probably count the draft for at least two, maybe three. After that......I don't know

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Let's look at who left this off season (that I can think of) Biadaz=We can't find a starter in this years draft to replace him, there's several guys that can, Pollard= He started but is he really a number 1 back, are the backs in this years draft a clear #1 back, there may be a few if that, Armstrong- He wasn't a a starter, more of a rotational guy= This years DE class in our round who knows, maybe chop robinson falls to us and gets time, could eventually be our starter replacing Lawrence soon

Tyron Smith= There's multiple tackles that you'll be looking to come in and compete to be a starter in this years draft

Gallup= We can find a WR early in the draft to come in and get some plays was he really a starter last season, wasn't good enough in all honesty
Of course we may get lucky and find some players. That could be said every year.

But actually we arent able to find more than one day-one-starter in a draft. And to find one it will take us some luck.

The guys we need to replace also are LVE and Hankins. With both on the field our run defense was a least suitable.

T.Smith: Our #1 pick wasnt able to beat him out and was moved to guard. Now you think there are multiple tackles we are able to chose from ? Maybe there is talent in the draft but this is also about us being able to spot the talent and draft it. Point is: we are not good at that. And i must admit your comment "theres multiple tackles ..." remindes me a bit of JJs comment that there are 500 coaches who can coach our team to a SB. Just look how many of those 500 we went thru in the last 30 years to find the one who gets us to a SB....

Gallup: At least gallup was able to beat out Tolbert who was drafted in the 3rd round. So If you want a replacement thru the draft you need to spend at least a 2nd because our drafting team is not able to find good WRs in lower rounds.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xAqqpI.gif

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

2021 1 Parsons
2020 2 Lamb, Diggs
2017 0

Was the 2016 draft really that great? They needed a RB and that's why Zeke was taken in the 1st round. But Dak wasn't drafted to be the day 1 starter, nor was he drafted to be the future franchise QB. He was picked to be a backup at best, but fate stepped in and changed things. I don't recall a single person stepping up after that 4th round pick and proclaiming Dak was the future of the Dallas Cowboys.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bottomline is we either are part of the solution or part of the problem.

If you are continuing to buy into the hype and supporting our ownerships leadership and insistence on remaining our GM then I’d argue you are part of the problem.

The only way to bring about change is forcing our owner to step down making wholesale changes in front office and then letting them run football operations .

And the only way to bring that change is a major hit on revenue including fan revolt, empty seats at stadium, etc with public humiliation for Jethro. Apathy is his biggest concern !!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Was the 2016 draft really that great? They needed a RB and that's why Zeke was taken in the 1st round. But Dak wasn't drafted to be the day 1 starter, nor was he drafted to be the future franchise QB. He was picked to be a backup at best, but fate stepped in and changed things. I don't recall a single person stepping up after that 4th round pick and proclaiming Dak was the future of the Dallas Cowboys.
That was also my point.

I dont consider that year a great draft. A great draft is where your picks from round 1 to 3 become instant day one starters and at least your #1 pick is a fixture at the Pro Bowl.
But checking with our ability to draft 2016 for us/our drafting team was a great one.