Recap: Anyone else just hear Tony on TheTicket?

AlterEgo

Reaction score
That did not sound good. If people are freaking out about DeMarcus, well don't listen to that. Hearing him talk about how he will have to deal and manage that back injury for the rest of his life was very concerning. Tony continued to say he'll be a go for the season but just hearing him talk about how just playing basketball wouldn't be good long term scares the heck out of me.

I just hope he's trying to manage expectations and prove the critics wrong but I was uneasy listening to that....

erod

Reaction score
Tony Romo just did a quick interview with The Ticket. It wasn't good.

Completely disregard Jerry Jones proclamation yesterday that Romo "is 100 percent". He is far from.

I've never heard Romo so timid and uncertain when it came to anything. He sells it better than anyone, and he did talk about how he was looking forward to the season, excited about the offensive line, blah, blah. But he also spoke cryptically about his back.

Romo said he still feels the torque of throwing and playing feels on his back. He said he can "go out there and do pretty much everything, but not for three hours."

NFL games are three hours. And they have live hitting with guys that will DEFINITELY be aiming to twist that back all they can.

So in other words, he's pacing himself and managing his back. You don't build up a bad back. You manage it, and that's why he's not participating in practice much. I suspect he'll play even less than normal in preseason.

I had my self convinced from previous interviews with him and others that this wasn't as bad as most back injuries. Now, I feel much more pessimistic.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Yeah, didn't sound good. If we don't draft a QB in the first round next year. It's getting to where you can't really count on Tony beyond this year.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Oops, we need to combine threads.

this franchise does absolutely nothing right. franchise qbs passed in the draft by an owner once again hoodwinked into thinking all is well in Smallville and Tony Superman will save them.... dealing up when depth is talent bare... not recognizing players made of glass and re-signing them...

if Romo is done, this will set the Dallas Cowboys back no less than 7 years to get out from under his contract. unbelievable.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He needs to continue to strengthen his core, as planned.

No doubt, this is something that will have to be managed...like Peyton is having to manage himself with the fused neck.

I think he's right were he's supposed to be, and in 5 weeks all should be fine for SF. They have a detailed and fairly hard core long term training plan for him. It sounds like golf is out and now maybe hoops too in the offseason. If that's what it takes, he's more than willing to do that.

But the million dollar question is where will he be in December?
He's already pretty much had to play very hurt in December for several years now...and that was before this surgery.
At least now they finally have a line that can protect him better.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not really surprised. Nobody knows what's going to happen until Romo is actually in a game. I've had back problems for 20 years. Somedays it feels great and then if you just move the wrong way it can go out. I don't know about people who have had surgery but I go by what Aikman and a few others have said. I doubt Romo is going to get better than he was. We'll just have to wait and see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
so it was much different than when he claimed these nxt four yrs were gonna be his best football eh??

interdasting.

No, not different at all.

He still thinks his best days could be ahead (that has always been mostly due to mental growth)and he can go several more years. But he now has to train much differently and also dial back things like golf and basketball.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The owner was not hoodwinked.

The owner simply chose to ignore challenges/adversity and sing:

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

That is the problem with having an owner/GM who does not have a single pragmatic bone in his body.

erod

Reaction score
Yes, DFWJC, they do have a line, and I believe, a much better No. 2 quarterback. I still think Weeden is a pretty good player, much better than Orton.

So if they need to rest Romo for a game here or there, they can still run their offense, unlike with Orton and his rag arm and no courage in the pocket.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
The owner was not hoodwinked.

The owner simply chose to ignore challenges/adversity and sing:

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

That is the problem with having an owner/GM who does not have a single pragmatic bone in his body.

Did Jerry sign Romo to his extension before or after Romo hurt his back?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Nothing new here is as far as I'm concerned. This is a man who had back surgery not that long ago.
I always have thought that just because someone is on schedule does not mean he's ready to play the 49ers today. But in 5 weeks? Yes.

They feel confident that if he sticks to the long term training plan, like Peyton, than he can play for several years. But they certainly don't know that for sure...nor does anyone.

This year's QB class is just as good or better than last year's.
If they get into the season and think this will make him a much less effective QB (or one who can't play at all), then they'll draft a QB.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Romo brought up the back problems a few weeks after he signed the new deal.

What does this mean? Romo had his cyst removed first, and are you telling me that Jerry gave the extension after that surgery? I really don't remember.

cds99

Reaction score
Jerry knows the truth about his back and that's prob why it came out that he will always wonder on what it would had been if he had drafted manziel.