Recap: Anyone else just hear Tony on TheTicket?

Zordon

Reaction score
That's what I thought. So, how was Jerry at fault for extending him without really knowing he needed surgery?

I guess you could fault Jerry for not having Romo totally checked out beforehand, but that is just all second guessing.

I fault Jerry for not letting him play out his final season like I was saying he should do 2 years ago.

If Jerry followed my plan, we would have known about the back issue by the time the contract negotiation came up and we would have either had a better opportunity to get Manziel or at the very least get a big discount on Romo.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I fault Jerry for not letting him play out his final season like I was saying he should do 2 years ago.

If he followed my plan, we would have known about the back issue by the time the contract negotiation came up and we would have either had a better opportunity to get Manziel or at the very least get a big discount on Romo.

Hindsight is hindsight, bro...but if my Aunt would have had balls, she would have been my Uncle.

Zordon

Reaction score
Hindsight is hindsight, bro...but if my Aunt would have had balls, she would have been my Uncle.

This isn't hindsight, this is something I've been saying since 2012. Let him play out his contract, then re-evaluate him along with the entire status of the franchise. It would have been a lot easier to embrace the rebuild that is going on right now if we didn't have a 100m invested in a broken down QB.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
This is hindsight, this is something I was saying since 2012. Let him play out his contract, then re-evaluate him along with the entire status of the franchise. It would have been easier to accept the rebuild that is going on right now if we didn't have a broken down 100m QB.

Well, he might not be totally broken down, but is is a major concern.

Bluestang

Reaction score
And the funny part to me, is that I brought this up when he first missed a practice after being declared full-go.

How the winds change.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
And the funny part to me, is that I brought this up when he first missed a practice after being declared full-go.

How the winds change.

We still don't know anything really. It's all conjecture at this point. The winds may be changing, but to derive anything meaningful from it is extremely premature at this time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo brought up the back problems a few weeks after he signed the new deal.

Come on Z.

Romo had back surgery (dec2013) WAY before he signed that contract in March 2014.
He wasn't close to recovery at the time they signed the contract.

You make it sound like he tried to deceive Jerry.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We still don't know anything really. It's all conjecture at this point. The winds may be changing, but to derive anything meaningful from it is extremely premature at this time.

What we need, is to hear the interviews. I have a suspicion there's some interpretation bias going on here, one way or another.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What we need, is to hear the interviews. I have a suspicion there's some interpretation bias going on here, one way or another.

Or wait and see how everything plays out when the actual games that count start. It's still July folks.

daveferr33

Reaction score

If Jerry followed my plan, we would have known about the back issue by the time the contract negotiation came up and we would have either had a better opportunity to get Manziel or at the very least get a big discount on Romo.

I think this is an excellent point.

But don't forget why we extended him early--we needed cap relief.

"Dallas only had $51,005 of cap room before Romo’s new deal. The contract gives the Cowboys $5 million of much needed cap relief immediately by lowering Romo’s 2013 cap number from his $16,818,835 to $11,818,835. Addressing Romo’s contract situation should have been one of the Cowboys’ first offseason moves considering the severe cap problems they’ve been facing. Dallas restructured multiple contracts in order to be compliant with the cap on March 12 when the 2013 league year started. Better timing with Romo’s deal could have given the Cowboys more flexibility regarding restructuring contracts and the option to enter the free agent market sooner. Dallas was the next to last team to sign a player in free agency."

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/tony-romo-contract-inside-cowboys-new-deal_n_3007568.html

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or wait and see how everything plays out when the actual games that count start. It's still July folks.

I'm reserving judgement. Everything I've heard from Tony has been consistent: it's a process that they're taking slower than he'd like to take, but it's progressing exactly as planned. If he's now saying something different today, I'd definitely be concerned. But I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that's the case. And I have seen plenty of evidence of fans on message boards exaggerating the significance of a tone of voice or a turn of phrase. Sooner or later, we'll hear for ourselves, I imagine. Or Tony will give another interview and we'll be off to worrying about whatever the next topic is going to be.

Wood

Reaction score
That did not sound good. If people are freaking out about DeMarcus, well don't listen to that. Hearing him talk about how he will have to deal and manage that back injury for the rest of his life was very concerning. Tony continued to say he'll be a go for the season but just hearing him talk about how just playing basketball wouldn't be good long term scares the heck out of me.

I just hope he's trying to manage expectations and prove the critics wrong but I was uneasy listening to that....

this is why some of us where saying two back surgeries in a year was a big deal especially for guy who occasionally gets pancaked by 300+ guys. Jerry has done what he could by building a wall of 1st round pick offensive lineman but something tells me a QB (probably playing in college this year) will get benefits of that OL. Romo is trooper and doesn't want to disappoint mac daddy but sometimes nature doesn't negotiate.

Bluestang

Reaction score
We also just need to look at the facts...

Romo is being held out of a practice, where he is not even being hit, 8 months removed from surgery.

This team hasn't been forthright with injuries at all, going from day to day, and then to IR the next.

The rehab time he has, is just unfathomable considering it's a daily thing.

He's already going to be held out of preseason games.

Today's interviews don't help with the doubt that Romo can go a full season.

jday

Reaction score
That did not sound good. If people are freaking out about DeMarcus, well don't listen to that. Hearing him talk about how he will have to deal and manage that back injury for the rest of his life was very concerning. Tony continued to say he'll be a go for the season but just hearing him talk about how just playing basketball wouldn't be good long term scares the heck out of me.

I just hope he's trying to manage expectations and prove the critics wrong but I was uneasy listening to that....

Peyton Manning has had two of the surgeries that Romo just had plus a fusion surgery in his neck. And keep in mind, the previous surgery Romo had was for something completely different.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

It's not hindsight. There were plenty of us who had the common sense to say make Romo play out his final year and see what he does. It's not like he had led the team to great success and earned $100 million no questions asked. To me it made more sense to tell him to get something done on the field in the playoffs and you get your $100 million. If not, we'll revisit the QB position and your salary demands. After getting hurt, he probably could have been had for half the price and if not, a QB could have been drafted and some other team's fans can be delighted with his December choke jobs.