Anyone else think we need a new TE?

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not trolling this is a serious question . I love witten , but let's face it he is not getting any separation anymore . Escobar seems like a bust and Hannah is a decent 2nd TE . I think we need a freakish athletic TE that can stretch the field . Witten's best days are gone .

I've been saying this about Witten for the past 3 years. He is still very good at getting open in zone coverage, but as soon as he catches the ball, he might as well just sit down. There is no YAC with him anymore. He was never a burner to begin with, now.... I almost ache watching him run. He looks stiff as a board.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
There i

There is a reason he is barely playing . A 2nd round pick should be an immediate impact starter . No ifs or buts I'm tired of excuses .

That's unreasonable. Go back and look at the history of the draft. Some are immediate impact starters. Most aren't.

I know we talked about going more 2 TE this year, but I really think Escobar was drafted for the future, when Witten becomes too expensive, or just not good enough to keep around.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we need a couple, grab one in the 2nd and another in the 4th. I prefer slow, weak handed guys with the ability to look good while whiffing on blocks. Oh, a good touchdown dance would be a plus.

rrkr3298

Reaction score
I'm not trolling this is a serious question . I love witten , but let's face it he is not getting any separation anymore . Escobar seems like a bust and Hannah is a decent 2nd TE . I think we need a freakish athletic TE that can stretch the field . Witten

Witten is still very viable. But you can't win with just him, Dez, and Murray. Everyone else sucks pretty much.

Romo and Garrett are the combat zone problems, and Jones and the other misfit coaches in the booth are going to continue to help lose the war on a yearly basis.

Don't get me wrong, I love Romo. There's not many better....... but he will only have a chance for a super-bowl with another team. I don't know what it is...somethings just out of whack and has been for a long time.
Given that everything stays pretty much the same, they will never be successful.
It doesn't matter if you make the playoffs every year, or every other year... and always go at least 9-7 or better. If you dont win the last game of the season you have failed. Pretty simple

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Is it really insane to expect a 2nd ROund pick to have an impact or is it more insane to be content with taking 2nd round TE busts over and over ? Have you read the definition of insane ? This organization is it . We are 133 and 133 since 1997 .

You said that a second rounder should be an immediate impact starter...not contributor.

rags747

Reaction score
Witt imo is fine, stop putting him on these stupid 5 yard out routes. Yes he is as stiff as a board but if we would hit these TE's down the seem more I think he is fine there. Escobar will be a good one imo as well, obviously not based off of this years production.

RS12

Reaction score
I'm not trolling this is a serious question . I love witten , but let's face it he is not getting any separation anymore . Escobar seems like a bust and Hannah is a decent 2nd TE . I think we need a freakish athletic TE that can stretch the field . Witten's best days are gone .

Nobody is more critical of the FO than me, but I am not ready to write off Escobar yet. It is true he couldnt block a JV player, but as a receiver he seems sure handed when he gets looks. The reality is Witten is getting his targets right now. Lets give it another year particularly if Witten gets cut in the off season.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
lol....the guy who basically carried the passing game last week is now not able to get seperation because our whole offense sucked last night? Some of our fans are just absolutely dumb.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Witt imo is fine, stop putting him on these stupid 5 yard out routes. Yes he is as stiff as a board but if we would hit these TE's down the seem more I think he is fine there. Escobar will be a good one imo as well, obviously not based off of this years production.

By the time witten is 15 yards down field romo is sacked . I'm telling you watch the film he has no juice left downfield . It's hurting us espiecially when witten is the primary downfield . He isn't getting g separation and he can't make athletic plays .

jaybird

Reaction score

All the problems this team has, particularly on defense and this is your concern?

jaybird

Reaction score

All the problems this team has, particularly on defense and this is your concern?

Dodger12

Reaction score
Nobody is more critical of the FO than me, but I am not ready to write off Escobar yet. It is true he couldnt block a JV player, but as a receiver he seems sure handed when he gets looks. The reality is Witten is getting his targets right now. Lets give it another year particularly if Witten gets cut in the off season.

And you've come to this conclusion by breaking down all 4 of his catches this season?

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
If blocking is his problem then why don't they split him out if he is so good at receiving ?

Why ask why, why doesn't DEZ get put into motion to try and create mismatches. Why doesn't Dunbar get used on check downs try and get him into open space. The reasons are the coaches they seem to not trust anyone.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
As I said in the other post, Escobar is too slow. Hanna is fast, same 40 time as Jimmy Graham has. Hanna should be running the routes that Witten is, but for some reason, he's not allowed to.

Witten only gets open when someone breaks a coverage or slips. Otherwise, he's blanketed.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Didn't we have this same discussion last year? Right before Witten had his best season as a Cowboy?

Of course you need to eventually find replacements for your star players but come on guys. Again?