Anyone else to add to Urban, Roman, and Riley list?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We are all hoping for a Porsche, but I have a feeling we are going to get someone like a Ron Riveria or John Fox.

It's the worst thing he can do and will be the start of the masses tuning out on his brand.

Jerry has done it his way for almost his entire time owning this team.

He needs another Bill Parcells type of hire. He can not go for a buddy or someone he can push around like Wade and Garrett or he is going to take a ratings hit.

I'm ready to stop watching as much football and tuning the Cowboys out. Just give me a reason and i'll drastically reduce the amount of Cowboys games I watch because they are a waste of time.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Anyone to add to that list?

No retreads is really my only requirement. I don't want some other teams Jason Garrett.

McCarthy is a big no from me. The guy has had Favre and Rodgers and has very little to show for it in a division he was favored in almost every year.

Urban... Great leader but what will X's and O's look like?

Roman... X's and O's will be great but he kinda gives me a Wade Phillips vibe. Maybe not as Golly Gee Wiz as Wade. I could be wrong here though.

Riley.. I just feel like this job may still be too big for him and he hasn't done anything at the College level besides show that he is a fantastic play designer. Also, why would he want to leave that cush job?

He can go beat up on bad teams every year and get a free trip to the playoffs and everyone will praise him for it.
Shaw from Stanford...but he is a distant third as college to pros headcoach.

Eric Bienemy….but he would need a good DC on his staff...maybe Rivera if he doesn't get a head coaching job.

chicago JK

Reaction score
My fear is the only way to change this is to get a proven name. That is not guaranteed to work either. I have no faith that Jerry can find the next great coach who may be unknown right now. Plus, I don't know how a coach without any skins on the wall can succeed here.

Meyer may be a colossal bust in the NFL considering his health, never coaching in the NFL and being one of the best college recruiters of all time (now he needs to rely on not having the most talented teams every week). But I think he would be my choice. It would be entertaining. I don't think he would overlook special teams and that group would at least be above average. He would force the team to also get more speed all over the roster. If he bombed here is is not like we could not break it down after and rebuild completely.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Kellen can go too.

We've had 3 games this year we've been shut out of the endzone.

He can go.

Oh I agree. We need to hire a proven winner and let him choose his own staff. Any other way is setting us up for more failure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah.. I think i'll tune out football even more then I have this year if we go with Rivera.

A retread that brings 0 hope and excitement is what he is.

IT's a complete status quo hire.

Dallas needs a coach that gets everyone tuned in again and this is just a boring hire that might make us a tad better if that.

Oh, I'm not saying it would be an exciting hire, just that none of us should rule it out with this guy in charge.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
It's the worst thing he can do and will be the start of the masses tuning out on his brand.

Jerry has done it his way for almost his entire time owning this team.

He needs another Bill Parcells type of hire. He can not go for a buddy or someone he can push around like Wade and Garrett or he is going to take a ratings hit.

I'm ready to stop watching as much football and tuning the Cowboys out. Just give me a reason and i'll drastically reduce the amount of Cowboys games I watch because they are a waste of time.

I hear you, and you are not alone, their TV ratings this season are showing that is exactly what is happening.

If die-hard fans like us are thinking about turning the channel, can't imagine average fans tuning in.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's been good everywhere he has gone.

IT's not just Lamar.

He did well in Buffalo too as well as San Fran.

Tony Romo is a big fan too and that is what sold me.
Tyrod. Kaep. Everyone hated him in Buffalo anyways lol.

I don't mind him, I guess, but there's just no evidence he can be good without legs at QB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Now, don't box the guy in like that, man. He's had to work with QBs like Alex Smith, Kaepernick, Tyrod Taylor, ect. and has had productive offenses.
Apparently he is big on adjusting to his personel.
His offenses that were good had running QBs...Kaep and Tyrod. SF's offense was horrible with Smith, and Buffalo's was even worse.

Maybe he tries to be, but he's never had a good offense without an elite running QB. His whole thing is creating numbers matchups, and it's easy to do that when the defense has to account for a QB who is going to run.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I hear you, and you are not alone, their TV ratings this season are showing that is exactly what is happening.

If die-hard fans like us are thinking about turning the channel, can't imagine average fans tuning in.
Ratings are up lol.

Buffalo game was the most-watched Thanksgiving game since 2016. Cowboys-Pats was the most-watched game on Fox since the mid-90s, and most-watched regular season game on any network since 2007.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sean Payton
Urban Meyer
Josh McDaniels
Lincoln Riley
Jim Harbaugh
Dabo Swinney
Nick Saban
McCarthy
Pete Carmichael
Robert Salah
Greg Roman
Dan Mullen
Tony Elliott
Matt Rhule

I'd rather keep Garrett over half of the guys on that list, and I'm sick of Garrett.

cowboysooner

Reaction score
Problem is that Belichick's assistants are terrible.

If the guy in Detroit can't get it going then I don't give any of them much hope.
I don’t disagree in whole. He was okay in Denver. He figured out that Cutler and Orton weren’t that different and got 2 1sts.

Hi baseline was okay and his experience is probably better than the others.plus the two afc south guys are good coaches.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Not sure how connected to the team he is but Matt Mosely was just on the Herd and he is predicting Jerry is going to go with a former coach that he is comfortable with.

His first thought was a combo of Ron Rivera with Norv Turner as OC, he also mentioned Mike McCarthy and Jeff Fisher.

I hope he is way off on this.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think Gary Patterson the head coach at TCU should be in consideration as well.

Most of you will reject this because you don't watch TCU football.
He has put together very good teams with players that aren't heavily recruited .
And TCU has great defenses in a conference not known for great defenses..

Gaede

Reaction score
Not sure how connected to the team he is but Matt Mosely was just on the Herd and he is predicting Jerry is going to go with a former coach that he is comfortable with.

His first thought was a combo of Ron Rivera with Norv Turner as OC, he also mentioned Mike McCarthy and Jeff Fisher.

I hope he is way off on this.

I quit with any variation of these coaches