Anyone else warming up to Chase?

cnuball21

Reaction score
The more I think about the possibility of selecting Chase with our top selection the more I'm warming up to it. I totally understand the defense is the main problem but unfortunately the top end of this draft is really weak in defenders outside of Parsons.

Chase would give us a young, elite pair of WRs for the future and would give us financial flex to not have to extend Gallup.

Having Lamb and Chase on rookie deals would hopefully allow us to use that money saved and attack FA defenders.

Thoughts?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Absolutely not.

WR's don't win championships.

QB's, defense, and coaching does.

Stop building this team for Fantasy Football and lets build a championship football team.

Jamar Chase would be a great pick for those who like to brag about Dak's stats while taking L's and if we are going to be stupid lets at least be stupid for the Florida TE.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

WR's don't win championships.

QB's, defense, and coaching does.

Stop building this team for Fantasy Football and lets build a championship football team.

Jamar Chase would be a great pick for those who like to brag about Dak's stats while taking L's and if we are going to be stupid lets at least be stupid for the Florida TE.

I totally agree...and if we can extend Dak we have out QB, a new coach in McCarthy and we'll just need more help on defense.

Like I said, I'm not overreaching on a player just because we need more help on defense and you also need to keep the financials in mind when building a team. Outside of Parsons I don't see a top 10 caliber defensive player.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Pitts is a stud
He's a difference maker and outside of Trevor Lawrence (duh) and Penei Sewell, he's the only offensive player I would consider drafting in the 1st round for the Cowboys.

Not that there isn't decent offensive talent available, but I'm talking about talents so obvious the Cowboys could not afford to pass up on.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Pitts or Chase would be two other things besides Nolan returning that would make me tap out in 2021.

cnuball21

Reaction score
He's a difference maker and outside of Trevor Lawrence (duh) and Penei Sewell, he's the only offensive player I would consider drafting in the 1st round for the Cowboys.

Not that there isn't decent offensive talent available, but I'm talking about talents so obvious the Cowboys could not afford to pass up on.

IMO you could make an argument that the best players in this draft are Lawrence / Fields / Sewell / Parsons / Chase / Pitts. I do not think we have a chance at the first 3 so I think you have to at least discuss if you'd consider drafting the top talent instead of the need.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The next Travis Kelce

I"d like to see Pitts add some bulk to give you a little more in run blocking but I think he's got crazy receiving potential. I'm anxious to see what he runs but I think he gives you a slightly better version of Darren Waller who's a monster.

I think Chase makes more sense as we just re-signed Jarwin to a multi-year extension but I'm a fan of Pitts.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
IMO you could make an argument that the best players in this draft are Lawrence / Fields / Sewell / Parsons / Chase / Pitts. I do not think we have a chance at the first 3 so I think you have to at least discuss if you'd consider drafting the top talent instead of the need.

Chase's talent is not so obvious we should draft him with the current trio we have at WR.

Only way I would draft Chase is if:
  • BPA by a mile
  • Defensive players I love are all drafted
  • Can't trade down
  • I know I'm about to trade or cut Amari Cooper

Sewell is an immediate upgrade over Connor Williams and the longtern replacement for Tyron Smith. Pro Bowl for Pro Bowl player at left tackle

Pitts is a matchup nightmare and a phenomenal playmaking TE. If you're a defense and you have to worry about Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Zeke , AND Pitts? Yikes. If Boy Wonder Kellen would script more runs for Dak, I honestly don't know how you defend those 6 threats on each down.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Have to move Amari to do that - which I probably would. But I don't think Chase is the bonafide top-5 that others might.

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I like the idea of trading Amari, moving down 5-6 spots to ~10, and drafting Waddle. The speed element is still missing in this offense, and a combination of Lamb and Gallup can give you most of what Amari does.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
W... What?

I'm in agreement that Pitts is a formative offensive talent, but even even has no place in the top-5.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The more I think about the possibility of selecting Chase with our top selection the more I'm warming up to it. I totally understand the defense is the main problem but unfortunately the top end of this draft is really weak in defenders outside of Parsons.

Chase would give us a young, elite pair of WRs for the future and would give us financial flex to not have to extend Gallup.

Having Lamb and Chase on rookie deals would hopefully allow us to use that money saved and attack FA defenders.

Thoughts?

I bet if Matt Millen was our GM he would agree with you. No to another premium receiver. Even if Cooper isn't in the team's long-term plans, which we still don't know, we have CeeDee and Gallup moving ahead.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Chase's talent is not so obvious we should draft him with the current trio we have at WR.

Only way I would draft Chase is if:
  • BPA by a mile
  • Defensive players I love are all drafted
  • Can't trade down
  • I know I'm about to trade or cut Amari Cooper

Sewell is an immediate upgrade over Connor Williams and the longtern replacement for Tyron Smith. Pro Bowl for Pro Bowl player at left tackle

Pitts is a matchup nightmare and a phenomenal playmaking TE. If you're a defense and you have to worry about Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, Zeke , AND Pitts? Yikes. If Boy Wonder Kellen would script more runs for Dak, I honestly don't know how you defend those 6 threats on each down.

Pitts does intrigue me. If we are picking in that low teens range, I would consider taking him there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I bet if Matt Millen was our GM he would agree with you. No to another premium receiver. Even if Cooper isn't in the team's long-term plans, which we still don't know, we have CeeDee and Gallup moving ahead.

Gallup is a FA after next season.:.and will likely warrant 6-8 million to resign. His contract is wrapping up sooner than most think.

I’d prefer to draft Chase with the intent of letting Gallup walk but if we could trade Cooper I’m open to that as well.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Have to move Amari to do that - which I probably would. But I don't think Chase is the bonafide top-5 that others might.

I think I've said it elsewhere, but I like the idea of trading Amari, moving down 5-6 spots to ~10, and drafting Waddle. The speed element is still missing in this offense, and a combination of Lamb and Gallup can give you most of what Amari does.

I don’t think you have to move Coop but I’d be open to it. Chase may not be a top 5 talent in every draft but I think he’s on of the best 5/7 players this year and is clear WR1.

I like Waddle, but not in the top 20. If I’m taking a WR this early I want to feel like he can be a 1. Like Ruggs this past year, I think Waddle will be a complimentary WR at the next level and I don’t like the idea of drafting a smallish, complimentary WR that early.

Waddle is hurt now and Ruggs has already been hurt this year so there’s some durability concerns.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Pitts, I love because he's just a stud, but a top 5 pick at a low value position who doesn't block is tough. TJ Hockenson went #8 overall and is 3rd in the NFL for TE catches and yardage behind Kelce and Waller. He'll probably finish with 60 catches for 700 yards (I only know this because he's on my fantasy team). That's basically a normal Cole Beasley season.

Hock's a good blocker and about as good of a receiver as you can ask for, but he's just not a difference making player. He'll probably play in the league for 10 years if his body holds up, but the WAR differential between him and say Dalton Schultz isn't that great.

Pitts won't block, so you're basically banking on him to be a 1,000 yard slot receiver, and I don't see that as being worth a top 10 pick. Slot receivers are fungible (most WRs will look great if you give them a two-way go and an untouched release), and even if you try to teach Pitts to block, Y tight ends aren't that valuable unless you run a Shanahan/Kubiak type offense.

Chase is a rarer breed at a more valuable position. It's hard to find downfield soul reavers like him, because you need the high-octane explosiveness to just straight-up beat CBs in man, but also have the coordination to catch circus balls, and the nuance to separate late in routes and exploit gaps in deep zone coverage. CeeDee and Gallup have the latter two down pat, and both make crazy plays downfield despite having average height/weight/speed. Chase has those guys' ball skills with more burst. If you think CeeDee is the best rookie receiver in this year's class, Chase is better than him.

So just from a BPA perspective, I think Chase will hit and become an impact player, but that gives us all-world stud Amari Cooper and then 3 other guys with nearly identical skill sets. Of course Gallup is a goner if that's the case, but would you be willing to spend a top 5 pick to save a ~$12M/yr contract? Heck, Chase would probably be making 7 or 8 mil.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pitts, I love because he's just a stud, but a top 5 pick at a low value position who doesn't block is tough. TJ Hockenson went #8 overall and is 3rd in the NFL for TE catches and yardage behind Kelce and Waller. He'll probably finish with 60 catches for 700 yards (I only know this because he's on my fantasy team). That's basically a normal Cole Beasley season.

Hock's a good blocker and about as good of a receiver as you can ask for, but he's just not a difference making player. He'll probably play in the league for 10 years if his body holds up, but the WAR differential between him and say Dalton Schultz isn't that great.

Pitts won't block, so you're basically banking on him to be a 1,000 yard slot receiver, and I don't see that as being worth a top 10 pick. Slot receivers are fungible (most WRs will look great if you give them a two-way go and an untouched release), and even if you try to teach Pitts to block, Y tight ends aren't that valuable unless you run a Shanahan/Kubiak type offense.

Chase is a rarer breed at a more valuable position. It's hard to find downfield soul reavers like him, because you need the high-octane explosiveness to just straight-up beat CBs in man, but also have the coordination to catch circus balls, and the nuance to separate late in routes and exploit gaps in deep zone coverage. CeeDee and Gallup have the latter two down pat, and both make crazy plays downfield despite having average height/weight/speed. Chase has those guys' ball skills with more burst. If you think CeeDee is the best rookie receiver in this year's class, Chase is better than him.

So just from a BPA perspective, I think Chase will hit and become an impact player, but that gives us all-world stud Amari Cooper and then 3 other guys with nearly identical skill sets. Of course Gallup is a goner if that's the case, but would you be willing to spend a top 5 pick to save a ~$12M/yr contract? Heck, Chase would probably be making 7 or 8 mil.

Good analysis here...and I’m not saying taking Chase is my preference I just think it warrants some discussion.

I think there’s a chance Sewell and Parsons could be gone when we pick and if there isn’t a trade down partner I just don’t know how comfortable I am reaching on the next top defender over Chase.