Anyone else warming up to Chase?

kskboys

Reaction score
Not at all...trying to take what the draft gives us and get the best talent available.

Who do you like in the top 7? And let’s say we don’t have a trade down partner.
A similarly rated D player.

You absolutely simply cannot continue taking guys who don't help your team. That's why we're mediocre to begin w/.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh I agree 100%...if we do this you allocate the saved dollars on defense in FA. I'm not sure what the upcoming FA group looks like but regardless of the draft I hope we're active...we HAVE to be. It also frees you up in the draft.
It will take all our cap to resign Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
@rocyaice remember what I said about people hating Jerry but think just like him? Multiple people seriously would draft Chase. :facepalm:
Wide receiver is the last position we should draft. For some reason Cowboys fans hate a receiver who is on pace for 100 receptions and 1200 yards while playing with Dalton, Dinucci and Gilbert as his quarterback for 12 games. I see some fool on this post wants to cut him.:facepalm:

waving monkey

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

WR's don't win championships.

QB's, defense, and coaching does.

Stop building this team for Fantasy Football and lets build a championship football team.

Jamar Chase would be a great pick for those who like to brag about Dak's stats while taking L's and if we are going to be stupid lets at least be stupid for the Florida TE.
absolutely

cnuball21

Reaction score
A similarly rated D player.

You absolutely simply cannot continue taking guys who don't help your team. That's why we're mediocre to begin w/.

But that’s the problem K. You know I’d love a nasty DLmen more than anything to add to this team to kick up the run D and pass rush. I don’t think there’s a DE worthy of a top 15 pick and I’m not sure there’s a 1st round DT at all.

CB makes sense but I think Surtain is more of early teens prospect.Love Farley but in the top 10 a little concerned about some injury history.

That leaves us Parsons who could be gone. So again, if Parsons is gone and we can’t move back it’s either add the top talent at WR or reach on a position of higher need.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Oh I agree 100%...if we do this you allocate the saved dollars on defense in FA. I'm not sure what the upcoming FA group looks like but regardless of the draft I hope we're active...we HAVE to be. It also frees you up in the draft.

Trade Gallup for draft capital, and move Amari next year if you can.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Trade Gallup for draft capital, and move Amari next year if you can.

Sure, maybe you get a 4th/5th rounder for Gallup. If Lamb builds off his rookie season and Chase shows you he can do what he's supposed to then you can flip Cooper to get his contract off the books and net even more draft capital next year.

I totally understand where everyone is coming from...the idea of another WR in the 1st seems like overkill but I'm just trying to create some discussion around the idea of taking top talent over a riskier pick at need. I'm usually a BPA at position of need guy...but the higher the pick the more I think you need to think about the overall talent.

I know some people were upset about us taking Lamb over Chaisson last year but he was clearly a better talent...by a lot IMO. Chaisson has 10 pressures on 200+ pass rush attempt (Gregory has 14 on 78 pass rush attempts). He's a rookie, but the early sample size is showing we made the right call.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Sure, maybe you get a 4th/5th rounder for Gallup. If Lamb builds off his rookie season and Chase shows you he can do what he's supposed to then you can flip Cooper to get his contract off the books and net even more draft capital next year.

I totally understand where everyone is coming from...the idea of another WR in the 1st seems like overkill but I'm just trying to create some discussion around the idea of taking top talent over a riskier pick at need. I'm usually a BPA at position of need guy...but the higher the pick the more I think you need to think about the overall talent.

I know some people were upset about us taking Lamb over Chaisson last year but he was clearly a better talent...by a lot IMO. Chaisson has 10 pressures on 200+ pass rush attempt (Gregory has 14 on 78 pass rush attempts). He's a rookie, but the early sample size is showing we made the right call.

Gallup I think could get you a late day 2 pick.
Hell if we are going to be doing all this trading I am going to trade Dak and get a first-round pick and some change.
Captain trade down stockpile picks and rebuild.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Gallup I think could get you a late day 2 pick.
Hell if we are going to be doing all this trading I am going to trade Dak and get a first-round pick and some change.
Captain trade down stockpile picks and rebuild.

Hey the exercise was no trade down lol! If we can trade down I'm on board so we can stockpile on defense as long as we don't get fleeced in the trade.

Great year to have multiple picks in the 2nd/3rd as the top of this draft sucks for defense.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
The problem is we have an owner who wants to win one more before he dies, and nothing else matters. His son can clean up the Shhpoop when that time comes.
This team isn't going to win a SB.

Our O-line is getting injured more often and hitting their 30's soon. We have 3 bloated contracts that are killing our cap, and Jerry won't stop there Vander Esch will get overpaid for being often injured, and I wouldn't be surprised if Awuzie has a great final week of the season and we re-sign him for too much.

This team needs to be blown up all the way. Time line of players, contract cleanup is just all off but it won't happen.

I would trade everything we have to offer and stockpile picks over the next 2-3 years.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Good analysis here...and I’m not saying taking Chase is my preference I just think it warrants some discussion.

I think there’s a chance Sewell and Parsons could be gone when we pick and if there isn’t a trade down partner I just don’t know how comfortable I am reaching on the next top defender over Chase.

Yeah, I'm just trying to walk myself through it as much as anything. Not seeing a lot to be excited with so far. After Parsons, the only other top 10 defender I've liked is Farley, and it's not a bang-the-table sort of like.

It's a great year to get a receiver, unfortunately for us. Hard not to be impressed with what Devonta Smith did this weekend; he's the latest one of these fast, skinny Bama WRs who run millimeter-precise routes. Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Jeudy, they're all the same sort of guy. And they're all looking successful in the NFL. Not sure how the board all shakes out this season, but I think Chase, Smith and Pitts are all top-dozen talents in a normal year.

And then at DE there's nothing but raw athletes, no elite DTs, one top CB IMO who looks pretty raw, no top safeties... just not a good year for our needs.

Last edited:

Gaede

Reaction score
But that’s the problem K. You know I’d love a nasty DLmen more than anything to add to this team to kick up the run D and pass rush. I don’t think there’s a DE worthy of a top 15 pick and I’m not sure there’s a 1st round DT at all.

CB makes sense but I think Surtain is more of early teens prospect.Love Farley but in the top 10 a little concerned about some injury history.

That leaves us Parsons who could be gone. So again, if Parsons is gone and we can’t move back it’s either add the top talent at WR or reach on a position of higher need.

Exactly. At such a high pick, take the best playmaker. No team can build perfectly and add the exact same amount of stars to both sides. Take what's available. If that's a monster TE in the top 10, or another star at WR, so be it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just trying to walk myself through it as much as anything. Not seeing a lot to be excited with so far. After Parsons, the only other top 10 defender I've liked is Farley, and it's not a bang-the-table sort of like.

It's a great year to get a receiver, unfortunately for us. Hard not to be impressed with what Devonta Smith did this weekend; he's the latest one of these fast, skinny Bama WRs who run millimeter-precise routes. Cooper, Calvin Ridley, Jeudy, they're all the same sort of guy. And they're all looking successful in the NFL. Not sure how the board all shakes out this season, but I think Chase, Smith and Pitts are all top-dozen talents in a normal year.

And then at DE there's nothing but raw athletes, no elite DTs, one top CB IMO who looks pretty raw, no top safeties... just not a good year for our needs.

Agree with all. That’s why if Parsons/Sewell are gone and we don’t have a trade down partner I’m stuck.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The problem is we have an owner who wants to win one more before he dies, and nothing else matters. His son can clean up the Shhpoop when that time comes.
This team isn't going to win a SB.

Our O-line is getting injured more often and hitting their 30's soon. We have 3 bloated contracts that are killing our cap, and Jerry won't stop there Vander Esch will get overpaid for being often injured, and I wouldn't be surprised if Awuzie has a great final week of the season and we re-sign him for too much.

This team needs to be blown up all the way. Time line of players, contract cleanup is just all off but it won't happen.

I would trade everything we have to offer and stockpile picks over the next 2-3 years.

I agree in that Jerry is one of the biggest problems with this franchise but I’m actually optimistic and think we’re pretty close.

If we sign Dak and just get the O healthy that is an elite group that can hang with anyone. I would keep an eye on OTs in this draft to develop but we’ve seen guys play into their mid 30s at a very high level.

All we need is for the defense to be average...just average. If we can fix the run defense I think we bounce back next year and are one of the better teams in the NFC.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wide receiver is the last position we should draft. For some reason Cowboys fans hate a receiver who is on pace for 100 receptions and 1200 yards while playing with Dalton, Dinucci and Gilbert as his quarterback for 12 games. I see some fool on this post wants to cut him.:facepalm:
I think Amari is great, but I would absolutely trade him for the cap relief - nevermind the return - and allow us to draft a WR early. If you do that and move back to, say, #12, you can roll with Lamb, Gallup and Waddle without missing a beat. Plus, Waddle gives you an element after the catch and downfield that they simply don't have right now. It's odd to think that you add a lesser player than Amari in Waddle and get better, but I think that would be the case, especially if you can continue to get a little bit more out of Wilson and/or Brown.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Amari is great, but I would absolutely trade him for the cap relief - nevermind the return - and allow us to draft a WR early. If you do that and move back to, say, #12, you can roll with Lamb, Gallup and Waddle without missing a beat. Plus, Waddle gives you an element after the catch and downfield that they simply don't have right now. It's odd to think that you add a lesser player than Amari in Waddle and get better, but I think that would be the case, especially if you can continue to get a little bit more out of Wilson and/or Brown.

Man now it's getting real...trade down AND sticking with WR! Whew!

That being said...still a chance if we trade down to 11/12 WR is the best talent available haha.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if he's the best player on the board...i'd be good with it.
it's about accumulating talent.
and i want ALL THE TALENT.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
The more I think about the possibility of selecting Chase with our top selection the more I'm warming up to it. I totally understand the defense is the main problem but unfortunately the top end of this draft is really weak in defenders outside of Parsons.

Chase would give us a young, elite pair of WRs for the future and would give us financial flex to not have to extend Gallup.

Having Lamb and Chase on rookie deals would hopefully allow us to use that money saved and attack FA defenders.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately be careful what you wish for, phillthy will be all in on him.