Anyone ever have a clogged shower pipe?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well... there should be a turn off valve or two of them for the water to that room.
if you have a basement the shut off valve should be there.

Hold on I'll link a picture.
No basement.. This is Houston remember? lol

Uhmm, I think I know where the valve is, but I'm not sure how to access it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
House is 40 yrs old. Built in the 70s. Pipes are probably original, so galvanized?

What does snaking entail? What do you need to do that? @Idgit @Tabascocat

A drain snake will cost you $20, and they’re pretty safe. Normally their for drain lines for all the obvious reasons.

In a feed line, you probably don’t have an organic blockage. It’ll be mineral, or something like an aerator/filter that broke loose someplace and got stuck on its way out. Did the guy you called out suggest the pipe needed to be replaced completely? I would think a plumber could clear a blocked feed line pretty easily if the pipes themselves aren’t completely shot. For $15k, he must have been selling you on a complete pipe replacement. Right?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A drain snake will cost you $20, and they’re pretty safe. Normally their for drain lines for all the obvious reasons.

In a feed line, you probably don’t have an organic blockage. It’ll be mineral, or something like an aerator/filter that broke loose someplace and got stuck on its way out. Did the guy you called out suggest the pipe needed to be replaced completely? I would think a plumber could clear a blocked feed line pretty easily if the pipes themselves aren’t completely shot. For $15k, he must have been selling you on a complete pipe replacement. Right?
Yeah, he was trying for a whole house re-pipe. I don't have the coin for that kind of job. And based on what you described, I question whether he even looked at the shower to try to fix it.

So if it's a mineral deposit, would a snake still work or is it a plumber job?

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
No basement.. This is Houston remember? lol

Uhmm, I think I know where the valve is, but I'm not sure how to access it.

everything on a slab.

Do the pipes run under the house?

I recently had a pipe break under the house here.

cost $2500 to fix they ran the pipe over the top through the attic.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Yeah, he was trying for a whole house re-pipe. I don't have the coin for that kind of job. And based on what you described, I question whether he even looked at the shower to try to fix it.

Doubtful on the snake to fix that. the snake would have to be very thin.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
everything on a slab.

Do the pipes run under the house?

I recently had a pipe break under the house here.

cost $2500 to fix they ran the pipe over the top through the attic.
Pipes run through the attic.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
heck its prob copper, you can cut out a huge section and push together a new section for like $30 by yourself

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look for “clean shower supply line” on google. I’ve seen a few people discussing using vinegar solutions or pressurized air to clean the lines. Can’t recommend one way or another for that.

A plumber ought to be able to use pressurized air for you too. The other option if that doesn’t work is the pipe replacement, but even that’s not a $15k bill.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look for “clean shower supply line” on google. I’ve seen a few people discussing using vinegar solutions or pressurized air to clean the lines. Can’t recommend one way or another for that.

A plumber ought to be able to use pressurized air for you too. The other option if that doesn’t work is the pipe replacement, but even that’s not a $15k bill.
I think I saw that vinegar solution thing online too. I have plenty of that to at least give it a try.