Anyone ever have a clogged shower pipe?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I know how to turn off the water to the house. The rest of that is gobbledy-gook to me.
I was afraid of hearing that, although, with your level of handy do it herself aptitude being limited, that piping is usually 3/8th's or 1/2" dia. With copper or poly tubing being the easiest to work with while the remodel/ upgrade was made, are you sure the contractor stayed with the homes galvanized piping? As it shouldn't have calcified to constriction in 7-8 years,,,, I'd start at the shower/bath flow control valves ,your going to have to access it on the backside of the tub/shower surround for a complete look at what your up against, I guess the easiest thing to tell you,other than finding a handy old mobile homer/handyman,would be to shut off the water to the home,,,pull the internal valve seat assembly from the cold water side of the flow control valve(its usually a brass stem that screws into a larger brass outfit, it's the larger brass hex you'll want to remove & some are left-hand threads) anyway,I'd pull one valve stem assembly and turn the water back on,as that would tell you at least, if the blockage is 'upstream' of the shower/bath itself or not,,, you'd really be better off with two people, so when the person outside at the water meter/ inlet valve hears you screaming to shut it off ,there won't be to much water splashed around.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Yeah, he was trying for a whole house re-pipe. I don't have the coin for that kind of job. And based on what you described, I question whether he even looked at the shower to try to fix it.

So if it's a mineral deposit, would a snake still work or is it a plumber job?

The snake thing is basically a fancier way of running a wire hanger down the pipe. Also if u are afraid of doing that then yeah turn off the water supply first.

And as always, get a second or third opinion..

Vinegar can do wonders in just one night, a few days even more so...

Melonfeud

Reaction score
just take your time and search for the shut off valves.

Some are gate valves - with a arm you move 90 degrees to turn off water source.
or
look like an outside hose turn off and on.
or
look like the same as the toilet shut off.
No, a gate valve is just what it says ,a gate that raises and lowers, the 90° turn is a ball or even older bevel valve.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was afraid of hearing that, although, with your level of handy do it herself aptitude being limited, that piping is usually 3/8th's or 1/2" dia. With copper or poly tubing being the easiest to work with while the remodel/ upgrade was made, are you sure the contractor stayed with the homes galvanized piping? As it shouldn't have calcified to constriction in 7-8 years,,,, I'd start at the shower/bath flow control valves ,your going to have to access it on the backside of the tub/shower surround for a complete look at what your up against, I guess the easiest thing to tell you,other than finding a handy old mobile homer/handyman,would be to shut off the water to the home,,,pull the internal valve seat assembly from the cold water side of the flow control valve(its usually a brass stem that screws into a larger brass outfit, it's the larger brass hex you'll want to remove & some are left-hand threads) anyway,I'd pull one valve stem assembly and turn the water back on,as that would tell you at least, if the blockage is 'upstream' of the shower/bath itself or not,,, you'd really be better off with two people, so when the person outside at the water meter/ inlet valve hears you screaming to shut it off ,there won't be to much water splashed around.
Soo yeah, this just screams complicated. I have a feeling it's easy, but I don't want a mess in my room. Because of how we set up the tub/shower combo, the water valve opening is to my room. Fairly easy to open, but eye glazing over once it is.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The snake thing is basically a fancier way of running a wire hanger down the pipe. Also if u are afraid of doing that then yeah turn off the water supply first.

And as always, get a second or third opinion..

Vinegar can do wonders in just one night, a few days even more so...
I'll try to vinegar thing tomorrow and give it a few days before hunting down a handyman.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Soo yeah, this just screams complicated. I have a feeling it's easy, but I don't want a mess in my room. Because of how we set up the tub/shower combo, the water valve opening is to my room. Fairly easy to open, but eye glazing over once it is.

Yes,and I got to thinking it's probably a single multi-flow valve that would have a multi-ported ball as its internals,,, other than the mess in your room,the initial test would be the same,it would probably be easier to just plan on replacing the shower control valve assembly altogether as a starting point,,,what color is it,bronze metal or plastic & what are those hot/cold water feed pipes made of?

Viper

Reaction score
Most of the time, it is not the line...it's a valve. A valve opens and closes, stopping water or allowing water to pass through. Since you have pressure everywhere but the shower it is probably your shower control valve assembly. Did you replace your shower fixtures when you remodeled eight years ago? Do you know if you replaced the valve assembly?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Handyman came today and he said the valve was too tight. He's wrapping things up now, but I got good pressure flowing out of both the faucet and the shower.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I spoke too soon. He figured out that it wasnt clogged. And that yes the valve was too tight. But there's something else going on with the stem (I think that's what its called). Gonna make a run to home depot to get a part that will hopefully release the water flow.

With the stem off, pressure is great. With the stem on, its basically a drip.

Last resort is replacing the whole faucet thing

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I spoke too soon. He figured out that it wasnt clogged. And that yes the valve was too tight. But there's something else going on with the stem (I think that's what its called). Gonna make a run to home depot to get a part that will hopefully release the water flow.

With the stem off, pressure is great. With the stem on, its basically a drip.

Last resort is replacing the whole faucet thing
:eek::eek::eek:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Handyman came today and he said the valve was too tight. He's wrapping things up now, but I got good pressure flowing out of both the faucet and the shower.
WHOO-HOO!
rock-on!
Excellent!
Party-on!
WOOP-WOOP!
YEAH,,,:yourock:
:oldcouple:o_O:oldcouple:

:thumbup::starspin::thumbup:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I always just use some Drano and boil a giant size pot of water and pour it into the bathtub.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I always just use some Drano and boil a giant size pot of water and pour it into the bathtub.
,,er,,,yer' not mentioning the 9volt batteries & safety flare fusees in that bathtub crank crystal brewing recipe,,, oops! ,,,,sorry CATCH27,,,,WE'LL SEE YA IN 10 YEARS,BUDDY,,,o_O