Anyone ever replace bulb on a TV?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a 65" floor model HDTV. The video stopped working on it one night while watching TV. All the connections were correct. The audio comes through loud and clear. But I still don't have video.

I don't have or rather I don't want to allot resources to get another TV at this moment. I think if I can get another bulb on it, I should be ok until I choose to make a change.

Question I have for you, is the cost to replace the bulb reasonable? I have a number in my head, but I want to see what you guys think first.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I did on an old dlp. The bulb on Amazon was $50. There were only about 5 screws.

jrumann59

Reaction score
IIRC Most of those bulbs are like halogen bulbs do not touch the bulb with your fingers.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
model? buy the bulb and pop it in and see if it fixes it

I have a Toshiba HDTV. Kinda unsure about popping anything off the TV, tho.

A service call is $65 and then you know the costs rise if they decide to do the work. So I'm trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yea, about 50 bucks. Not hard to replace if I recall correctly, had the same TV awhile back except it was 55" I think.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba HDTV. Kinda unsure about popping anything off the TV, tho.

A service call is $65 and then you know the costs rise if they decide to do the work. So I'm trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

just remember...it is a TV and not brain surgery on a baby or anything

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It was very easy to do on my Sony. I found one on Ebay for less than half the cost of an OEM bulb from Sony. There were some even less expensive bulbs on Ebay but the general consensus around the internet was that the cheapest bulbs were junk and wouldn't last. About 50 bucks should get it done for you.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So it's really just a matter of me disconnecting the TV, taking off the panel, and swapping out the bulb myself with a $50 replacement?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
By bulb, I'm guessing you have a DLP TV? I changed the bulb on my old Samsung DLP twice and changed the color wheel once. (it shattered) I used a Youtube walk through to do it. Easy as Pi! (and pie)

edit: (I can't imagine you have one of the really old rear projection TVs!)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By bulb, I'm guessing you have a DLP TV? I changed the bulb on my old Samsung DLP twice and changed the color wheel once. (it shattered) I used a Youtube walk through to do it. Easy as Pi! (and pie)

edit: (I can't imagine you have one of the really old rear projection TVs!)

I do. Bought it in 2004 before flat screens became all the rage. I'll need to check the model to be sure what TV I have.