Anyone ever replace bulb on a TV?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I bought my DLP in 2005, so it's very likely a DLP.

I still have the owner's manual, so I can check it when I get home.

Man, y'all just don't know how much you've eased my mind. I've been preparing to drop $400 to fix the TV.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I still have the owner's manual, so I can check it when I get home.

Man, y'all just don't know how much you've eased my mind. I've been preparing to drop $400 to fix the TV.

I paid $23 for a new lamp for my DLP and it took my probably 25 minutes to do it. The second time I changed it, it took me maybe 15 minutes. Most of that was moving the TV to a place I could work on it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I paid $23 for a new lamp for my DLP and it took my probably 25 minutes to do it. The second time I changed it, it took me maybe 15 minutes. Most of that was moving the TV to a place I could work on it.

It shouldn't even take me that long seeing as I've already moved the thing off the wall and it's already half-disconnected. lol

I just need to get the new bulb-thing and we'll be back in business.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
65" is probably a Misubishi.

No, I know I have a Toshiba. I just don't know which model. I've come to like Toshiba TVs since owning this one. But I will def use this youtube vid to help me out.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
No, I know I have a Toshiba. I just don't know which model. I've come to like Toshiba TVs since owning this one. But I will def use this youtube vid to help me out.

Oh, OK. I didn't see that in the OP.

Very similar procedure.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i have a 65" and dont disagree....but i would never pay to repair an old heap when i could have new for same

Well, at the moment, the cost of a new TV is outside my budget. I could squeeze a couple hundred to repair a TV. I couldn't squeeze $1500 minimum for a new one. lol

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I don't want to stress you, but be careful with who you buy from. You will want to find a OEM replacement from a reputable dealer, you might find a quality OEM-compatible but be sure it has a good reputation if you go that way. (there are chinese knockoffs that fail more often out there) You can still find those that are discounted that way but you should probably check with Toshiba on how much they have them for also. Also there are two ways to buy. Those that are bare bulbs that you have to put in the old casing. (cheaper but probably not for you) or ones that come with a new casing. Also use a glove when touching the bulb and casing. Oils from your skin can cause them to fail prematurely.

To find reputable dealers I would recommend asking those who also own your model of tv on a messageboard like avsforum.

basstapp

Reaction score
Well, at the moment, the cost of a new TV is outside my budget. I could squeeze a couple hundred to repair a TV. I couldn't squeeze $1500 minimum for a new one. lol

You can get a 60in Vizio for like 800 dollars from costco.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I could never go sub-50" for a living room TV again. I have a 46" in my bedroom and think it's small. lol

Ditto... I have a 46" and it seems small as I have a large bedroom. I'm contemplating moving my 60" into the bedroom and getting an 80" for the living room...

We sure are spoiled today. Up until 10 years ago a 25" was considered the big boy outside of projection TVs...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ditto... I have a 46" and it seems small as I have a large bedroom. I'm contemplating moving my 60" into the bedroom and getting an 80" for the living room...

We sure are spoiled today. Up until 10 years ago a 25" was considered the big boy outside of projection TVs...

I so agree.. My TV before this one was a 27" and I thought I was doing something with that size. lol

I'd like to upgrade, but I have a massive house project that I have to take care of before considering anything else cosmetic. Sad face to the extreme. :(

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Make it rain..................

creditcards.jpg

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Dude! I'm already in the midst of a hurricane of plastic ova here.. lmao I am NOT adding anything else to my credit.

Great place for TV parts. I used them to get a new bulb and also a main processing board for my DLP.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/

If the picture just went out, like overnight, then its probably not a bulb. It's probably the processor board. Mine went up in a puff of smoke one night and the picture was gone. If I remember right, it was less than a 100 bucks for the part. It's a little more complicated than changing a bulb though.