Anyone ever replace bulb on a TV?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great place for TV parts. I used them to get a new bulb and also a main processing board for my DLP.
http://www.shopjimmy.com/

If the picture just went out, like overnight, then its probably not a bulb. It's probably the processor board. Mine went up in a puff of smoke one night and the picture was gone. If I remember right, it was less than a 100 bucks for the part. It's a little more complicated than changing a bulb though.

Well, I'm assuming it's the bulb. We were watching TV when the screen just went out, never to be seen again. Audio never cut off, but the screen did.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Well, I'm assuming it's the bulb. We were watching TV when the screen just went out, never to be seen again. Audio never cut off, but the screen did.

How old is the TV? If you have sound, then it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe the ballast. There should be some light indicators on the TV flashing. Check your manual and see if the flashing lights correspond with an indicator for replacing the bulb.

Oh, and when ordering the bulb, you don't need to get the housing for it. Just order the bulb.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How old is the TV? If you have sound, then it shouldn't be too bad. Maybe the ballast. There should be some light indicators on the TV flashing. Check your manual and see if the flashing lights correspond with an indicator for replacing the bulb.

Oh, and when ordering the bulb, you don't need to get the housing for it. Just order the bulb.

Bought it in 2004. The light for the power comes on when the TV is on. So far that's the only thing that's come that I've seen. I'll have to check. I still haven't checked the owner's manual yet.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Bought it in 2004. The light for the power comes on when the TV is on. So far that's the only thing that's come that I've seen. I'll have to check. I still haven't checked the owner's manual yet.

Yeah, if it's that old and you haven't replaced the bulb, then that could very well be it. And the picture will be noticeably better when you do. :)

When you power on the TV, the power light should blink a certain number of times. The number of blinks should give you an indication of what the problem is. The manual will tell you what the number of blinks mean.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, if it's that old and you haven't replaced the bulb, then that could very well be it. And the picture will be noticeably better when you do. :)

When you power on the TV, the power light should blink a certain number of times. The number of blinks should give you an indication of what the problem is. The manual will tell you what the number of blinks mean.

Thank you! I'm going to look for the owner's manual tonight and see what it says. I priced some bulbs last night and everyone is right about the $50 range.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I do. Bought it in 2004 before flat screens became all the rage. I'll need to check the model to be sure what TV I have.

Some of the old tvs have a little door panel in front under the tv screen. No bigger than a card from a deck of cards.

And yes, don't get the oil from your fingers on the bulb.... Or you will get good at changing them. :)

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It's funny reading about people thinking some TV sizes are small. I remember when I was a kid and we got a 41" projection TV and I thought it was huge. Now, I haven't owned anything less than a 56" for my main TV since 2000 and have a 63" now. And now I look at the 63" being pretty small since I have a 130" projection screen about to go up in my basement. I've not actually used it yet, and I've been building the space for it since November, but somehow the 63" still feels small now. I hope I never get to the point where 130" seems small. At least I designed my seating distance with that size in mind, so it should satisfy.

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
I have a Toshiba HDTV. Kinda unsure about popping anything off the TV, tho.

A service call is $65 and then you know the costs rise if they decide to do the work. So I'm trying to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I paid about $200 a few years ago to have something similar repaired on my Sony HDTV. It saved me at the time from having to shell out for a whole new TV. It lasted me a good coupe of years and then i was ready for the upgrade. If you think of it as $200 over 2 years or more, that's pretty cheap. Especially to have ti done right and not to risk shock. TV electronics pack serious voltage. I'm a very handy guy and would rather have someone experienced poking around in my TV.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Is it a DLP? If so the bulbs are super easy to replace, but don't skimp on the quality. I had to replace mine once under warranty and it lasted 4 more years. When it went out again I went with a cheap $35 bulb and it only lasted 2 months. Researched and ended up buying another bulb for around $100 and haven't had a problem in the last 2+ years.