Anyone going to see the facebook movie?

kristie

Reaction score
i'm hoping to convince my husband to go see it, but he's probably going to tell me that he wants to wait until it's on DVD.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Chief;3595282 said:
Ummm, the reviewers have seen it.

Not all of them have, it's already dropped from the previous 100%, albeit only a couple of percentages. The fan rating of 81% is probably more valid in this case, because I think critics will be blinded by the firepower behind the film more than the substance of the film itself.

I have my own theory on why the Tomatometer is biased and can be virtually useless for certain genres while giving other genres an unfair advantage in their rating system but I'm not going to get into it. Suffice to say certain generes (action, comedy, horror, etc) have a very hard time getting good Tomato ratings purely because it's easier to hate a movie (as a critic) because you don't PERSONALLY enjoy that genre.

I think it'll be a fine movie, I just don't care about the life and times of Mark Zuckerberg. There's nothing about the story that could possibly appeal to me.

theogt;3595306 said:
Do people not realize it's not about the actual website?

I'd probably rather watch a documentary on Facebook that a dramatized account of the person behind it. I'd take Catfish over The Social Network any day of the week.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3595609 said:
Not all of them have, it's already dropped from the previous 100%, albeit only a couple of percentages. The fan rating of 81% is probably more valid in this case, because I think critics will be blinded by the firepower behind the film more than the substance of the film itself.

I have my own theory on why the Tomatometer is biased and can be virtually useless for certain genres while giving other genres an unfair advantage in their rating system but I'm not going to get into it. Suffice to say certain generes (action, comedy, horror, etc) have a very hard time getting good Tomato ratings purely because it's easier to hate a movie (as a critic) because you don't PERSONALLY enjoy that genre.

I think it'll be a fine movie, I just don't care about the life and times of Mark Zuckerberg. There's nothing about the story that could possibly appeal to me.
Actually, the fans are the ones who HAVE NOT seen it, so that 81% is completely useless.

Also, one of the three negatives reviews is from a joke reviewer (Armond White). His reviews aren't real. Here's what Roger Ebert said about him.

Although initially defending White's review of District 9, after being presented with a list of films that White had liked and disliked, film critic Roger Ebert withdrew his original article stating that "White is, as charged, a troll; a smart and knowing one, but a troll."
So, you have 118 out of 120 reviews that are positive. That's about as universal acclaim as you can get.

I'd probably rather watch a documentary on Facebook that a dramatized account of the person behind it. I'd take Catfish over The Social Network any day of the week.
A documentary about coding a website?

It's just your typical rags to riches story -- one that has very little to do with the website. It's a story about a small business owner that "gets rich quick" and all the backstabbing, politics, meltdowns and shenanigans that accompany the sheer bliss that this guy ends up experiencing from making it big. And apparently it's written extremely well and directed by one of the most enjoyable yet smart directors of our time. It will be good. There's no question.

The fact that people are turned off because it has something to do with social media is just funny.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3595634 said:
A documentary about coding a website?
I know what you're trying to do but who would make a documentary about coding a website? Man on Wire isn't about the the technicalities of walking on a tight rope and Murderball isn't about the technicalities of playing a sport in a wheel chair. Both are documentaries and far more interesting (to me) than a dramatization of either individual would be.

theogt;3595634 said:
It's just your typical rags to riches story -- one that has very little to do with the website. It's a story about a small business owner that "gets rich quick" and all the backstabbing, politics, meltdowns and shenanigans that accompany the sheer bliss that this guy ends up experiencing from making it big. And apparently it's written extremely well and directed by one of the most enjoyable yet smart directors of our time. It will be good. There's no question.

The fact that people are turned off because it has something to do with social media is just funny.

I already said it'd be good, I just don't care for the subject matter. It wouldn't be the first "good" movie I have no interest in seeing and it won't be the last.

As far as critic reviews, I have never and will never care about critic reviews of mainstream movies. Usually if I ever read them, it's after I've seen the film.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3595650 said:
As far as critic reviews, I have never and will never care about critic reviews of mainstream movies. Usually if I ever read them, it's after I've seen the film.
I don't read them either, except for a couple of people who I've found I almost universally agree with. But the aggregators are incredible tools. I don't have time to watch every movie, and they're remarkably successful at categorizing films as either good or bad.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3595634 said:
It will be good. There's no question.

Typical theo, can't think for himself. The powers that be have already told him it's good, therefore it is.

I does seem like it will be good, and does have talent behind it with a good track record. Still need to see it to say it's good.

I'll be checking out Let Me In before this one though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3595948 said:
Typical theo, can't think for himself. The powers that be have already told him it's good, therefore it is.

I does seem like it will be good, and does have talent behind it with a good track record. Still need to see it to say it's good.
If you're accusing me of thinking a movie that gets 98% ratings is going to be good, then guilty as charged.

What's funny is that you actually think that's some sort of insult.

I'll be checking out Let Me In before this one though.
I guess that means you've already gone to see Resident Evil, since that's more your style.

The drool -- wipe it off your chin.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3595973 said:
If you're accusing me of thinking a movie that gets 98% ratings is going to be good, then guilty as charged.

What's funny is that you actually think that's some sort of insult.

I guess that means you've already gone to see Resident Evil, since that's more your style.

The drool -- wipe it off your chin.

You have no clue what my style is, and comparing Let Me In to Resident Evil shows you don't have much of a clue about movies at all.

It's one thing to think a movie is going to be good, and something else entirely to be absolutely sure about it.

Go back to loving Paul Blart.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
I have as much interest in watching this movie as Secretariat...I'm waiting for Due Date to come out. It looks hilarious!!

p.s. I go to the movies for about $4-$4.50 now. Google it, all the groupon/livingsocial, etc have deals for fandango for 4 tickets (valued up to $14) for $18-20 bucks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3596188 said:
You have no clue what my style is, and comparing Let Me In to Resident Evil shows you don't have much of a clue about movies at all.

It's one thing to think a movie is going to be good, and something else entirely to be absolutely sure about it.

Go back to loving Paul Blart.
Dur, dur, dur....

*drool*

Oh, yeah, you reads real goods.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3596424 said:
Man, you're embarrassing.
And you can't read.

But I'll help you out anyway. I was not comparing Let Me In to Resident Evil. I was comparing Resident Evil to the typical low brow entertainment that you frequent. Also, it's hilarious that your "comeback" is always that I liked Paul Blart, when I'm the one that made fun of you for watching it. I'm not sure it's that you can't read. It's like you have dyslexia, but not with letters -- rather with entire thoughts. Is there some word for this other than "mental retardation"?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3596430 said:
And you can't read.

But I'll help you out anyway. I was not comparing Let Me In to Resident Evil. I was comparing Resident Evil to the typical low brow entertainment that you frequent. Also, it's hilarious that your "comeback" is always that I liked Paul Blart, when I'm the one that made fun of you for watching it. I'm not sure it's that you can't read. It's like you have dyslexia, but not with letters -- rather with entire thoughts. Is there some word for this other than "mental retardation"?

I come back to Paul Blart because it's obvious, using basic reasoning skills that you love it. You coming back to Paul Blart was evidence of possible mental retardation since I said I hated the movie. Or maybe it's just that you can't read?

Here's basic logic 101 for you:

Fact 1: I hate Paul Blart
Fact 2: You think I have terrible taste (as evidence by you repeatedly saying this)
Fact 1 + Fact 2 = You love Paul Blart.

Fact 3: I frequent almost every movie out there, low brow, high brow, and everything in between, so to try to assume what type of movies I like based on what I watch only makes you look like an ***.

Fact 4: You used my reference to my desire to see Let Me In to make your Resident Evil comment, which whether you meant it or not, implies that the two movies are in the same league since apparently wanting to see one must mean I've seen the other. So, if it wasn't your intention, learn what you're doing before you post something so you stop embarrassing yourself.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3596449 said:
I come back to Paul Blart because it's obvious, using basic reasoning skills that you love it. You coming back to Paul Blart was evidence of possible mental retardation since I said I hated the movie. Or maybe it's just that you can't read?

Here's basic logic 101 for you:

Fact 1: I hate Paul Blart
Fact 2: You think I have terrible taste (as evidence by you repeatedly saying this)
Fact 1 + Fact 2 = You love Paul Blart.

Fact 3: I frequent almost every movie out there, low brow, high brow, and everything in between, so to try to assume what type of movies I like based on what I watch only makes you look like an ***.

Fact 4: You used my reference to my desire to see Let Me In to make your Resident Evil comment, which whether you meant it or not, implies that the two movies are in the same league since apparently wanting to see one must mean I've seen the other. So, if it wasn't your intention, learn what you're doing before you post something so you stop embarrassing yourself.
I'll make this very simple for you. Here's a spectrum of taste.

Terrible Taste ---------------------------------------Good Taste
<--1-----------2--------------------------------------------3->

Point 1 is people that like Paul Blart.

Point 2 is people that don't like Paul Blart but are dumb enough to go see it in order to "give it a shot."

Point 3 are the people in this world with taste who would never even consider watching Paul Blart.

You are at point 2. You are afflicted with moderate to mildly terrible taste. It's something you'll have to live and deal with, but we all have our struggles. And at least you're not at point 1, so you have that to be happy with.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3596454 said:
I'll make this very simple for you. Here's a spectrum of taste.

Terrible Taste ---------------------------------------Good Taste
<--1-----------2--------------------------------------------3->

Point 1 is people that like Paul Blart.

Point 2 is people that don't like Paul Blart but are dumb enough to go see it in order to "give it a shot."

Point 3 are the people in this world with taste who would never even consider watching Paul Blart.

You are at point 2. You are afflicted with moderate to mildly terrible taste. It's something you'll have to live and deal with, but we all have our struggles. And at least you're not at point 1, so you have that to be happy with.

Wow, now giving something a shot = taste.

Get a dictionary.

And where's #4? - "I have no taste. I am a robot and only go by what the critics tell me. I have no ability to think for myself." That's far worse than #1.