Anyone here think A trade for Joe Haden will work for Dallas?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No interest in Haden. But I opened this thread thinking it was about Joe Thomas for some reason. They reportedly wanted a 2nd for him last year before the deadline. A 3rd or a 4th for a guy to play RT for a few years and let you move Collins inside again and shore up that LG spot...would anybody consider it?

If the consideration is high enough, it gives him a shot with a contender his last few years. No idea what the cap implications might be.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This forum tends to boohoo any ideas about acquiring other team's players, unless we actually do it, and then it's all "Look how smart we are!!!"

Haden is a very good player on a very bad team. If the asking price is reasonable, he makes us better, and therefore should be considered. If the Browns are asking too much, no thanks.

Personally, I think the Rams just stole Sammy Watkins and even though WR is not a huge hole for Dallas, I would have considered that trade.

Question 1. Does he make us better?
Question 2. Is the price reasonable?

That's it. If this Front Office has a "no trade" mentality like many here (wishfully) claim, then they are not exploring all opportunities of improvement, and are a part of the problem.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This forum tends to boohoo any ideas about acquiring other team's players, unless we actually do it, and then it's all "Look how smart we are!!!"

Haden is a very good player on a very bad team. If the asking price is reasonable, he makes us better, and therefore should be considered. If the Browns are asking too much, no thanks.

Personally, I think the Rams just stole Sammy Watkins and even though WR is not a huge hole for Dallas, I would have considered that trade.

Question 1. Does he make us better?
Question 2. Is the price reasonable?

That's it. If this Front Office has a "no trade" mentality like many here (wishfully) claim, then they are not exploring all opportunities of improvement, and are a part of the problem.

Who claims the front office has a no-trade policy? We trade around on draft day--Xavier Woods was the most recent example. Most people thought trading Romo for a player was a distinct possibility. We've flipped picks recently for Matt Cassel and Rolando McClain. Brice Butler was a trade. So was Christine Michael, iirc. We're just generally not interested in flipping more than 5th round picks.

And why would fans have a 'no trade' mentality anyway? What's the point in that? What you do see is people putting down ideas for dumb trades (I don't think this thread is proposing a dumb trade, btw). Like getting a quality edge pass rusher for a backup OL or whatever.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Who claims the front office has a no-trade policy? We trade around on draft day--Xavier Woods was the most recent example. Most people thought trading Romo for a player was a distinct possibility. We've flipped picks recently for Matt Cassel and Rolando McClain. Brice Butler was a trade. So was Christine Michael, iirc. We're just generally not interested in flipping more than 5th round picks.

And why would fans have a 'no trade' mentality anyway? What's the point in that? What you do see is people putting down ideas for dumb trades (I don't think this thread is proposing a dumb trade, btw). Like getting a quality edge pass rusher for a backup OL or whatever.

There are many here who associate trading for other team's players as "Madden" or "Fantasy Football". There are some in this thread alone who said the Cowboys or Stephen Jones don't operate this way. I think the great front offices constantly consider acquiring talent, whether that is veteran trades, free agency, waiver wires, whatever.

The Patriots blew up that idea this off-season, acquiring the top free agent CB available and then pulling off 3 or 4 veteran trades. The Giants fixed a horrid defense in one off-season of aggressive free agency. The Broncos signed 4 premium free agents after a Super Bowl loss and went on to win a Super Bowl. There should not be a set way of thinking. The FO's strategy should be fluid, depending on availability and need.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are many here who associate trading for other team's players as "Madden" or "Fantasy Football". There are some in this thread alone who said the Cowboys or Stephen Jones don't operate this way. I think the great front offices constantly consider acquiring talent, whether that is veteran trades, free agency, waiver wires, whatever.

The Patriots blew up that idea this off-season, acquiring the top free agent CB available and then pulling off 3 or 4 veteran trades. The Giants fixed a horrid defense in one off-season of aggressive free agency. The Broncos signed 4 premium free agents after a Super Bowl loss and went on to win a Super Bowl. There should not be a set way of thinking. The FO's strategy should be fluid, depending on availability and need.

I agree with all of this. Though trades and FA are different. Teams need to look at all avenues.

The Cowboys place a premium on draft picks because they think they have the ability to develop players better than many teams, and recent history suggests they're probably right. FA works for cherry-picking spots, but you pay a premium, don't have the benefit of seeing the relatively expensive players on your roster before signing them long-term (Brandon Carr), so it comes with risks. The Giants appear to have gotten lucky, hitting on all three of their FA signings last year.

But selective trades for quality older players make sense. The Chandler Jones trade last year with AZ was a good one, for example. We would seriously look at a trade like that if we could add an impact defender for a 2nd round pick. Especially with us having cap room next offseason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have seen a few articles talking about how a possible trade for CB Joe Haden of the Cleveland Browns would make sense for Dallas. My question is do you all think that this makes sense for the Cowboys to possibly pull the trigger on and what do you think we will have to give up to get him?
Trading for Joe Haden would be a crazy stupid idea for the Cowboys. Maybe the Haden from 4 or 5 years ago but not today's version. Not to mention taking on that contract. PASS.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Browns CB Joe Haden to the Cowboys

Speaking of Dallas, the 'Boys have issues beyond Elliott's suspension. Rod Marinelli is one of the game's craftiest defensive coordinators, but he's been handed a secondary bereft of reliable talent beyond promising young safety Byron Jones. In a division stocked with dangerous pass catchers -- Odell Beckham Jr., Terrelle Pryor, Jamison Crowder, Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall -- Dallas could use a hand at cornerback. Haden has been one of Cleveland's most loyal assets, but the club's front office has made a cottage industry of moving expensive veterans in exchange for draft picks. Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere, but Haden -- no longer a top-five player at his position -- would have a chance at a Super Bowl ring in Dallas. As for Cleveland, another valuable draft-day selection would help the team build for a brighter tomorrow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-thatd-help-all-parties?campaign=Twitter_atn

==

I would be pretty upset giving up what likely would be a pick in the 2nd or 3rd for another corner.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Speaking of Dallas, the 'Boys have issues beyond Elliott's suspension. Rod Marinelli is one of the game's craftiest defensive coordinators, but he's been handed a secondary bereft of reliable talent beyond promising young safety Byron Jones. In a division stocked with dangerous pass catchers -- Odell Beckham Jr., Terrelle Pryor, Jamison Crowder, Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall -- Dallas could use a hand at cornerback. Haden has been one of Cleveland's most loyal assets, but the club's front office has made a cottage industry of moving expensive veterans in exchange for draft picks. Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere, but Haden -- no longer a top-five player at his position -- would have a chance at a Super Bowl ring in Dallas. As for Cleveland, another valuable draft-day selection would help the team build for a brighter tomorrow.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...s-thatd-help-all-parties?campaign=Twitter_atn

==

I would be pretty upset giving up what likely would be a pick in the 2nd or 3rd for another corner.
I'd rather get Thomas, put him on the right and Collins back a LG.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

==

Slowish CBs don't age well.

Super Speed guys can lose speed and still be fast enough (T. Newman, Charles Woodson, etc.) but borderline speed CBs like Hayden likely fall off a cliff at some point.

Plus it's not Stephen Jones philosophy to trade for expensive older players.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bereft of talent?

Apparently Mr. Sessler doesn't realize we finally signed Nolan Carroll after a feverish multi-year pursuit.