Anyone interested in a "JUSTICE LEAGUE" film?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
DallasEast;1699016 said:
You're showing your age. :) The 'A' or 'America' in 'JLA' was dropped years ago. DC eventually found it too restrictive a title and went with the more universal sounding 'Justice League' instead. Good thing too. JLA kept reminding me of the SuperFriends way too often! :bang2:

My age? I'm 24....:p:

Justice League is still a silly name and a silly concept.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Crown Royal;1699112 said:

You look older in your photo. Stay out of the sun man. :D

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;1699061 said:
I pay per viewed Superman Doomsday a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was alright. I never read the Death of Superman, so I could not base it against that.

The face on Supes was weird. Looked like he had mumps or something.

Isn't there going to be a Teen Titans movie? That seems like a smarter move. Lesser known characters with more of a team feel. Easier to pull off than using a bunch of well known, big name characters thrown together. Justice League works well as a 30 minute cartoon series. I don't think it would make a good movie.
All I can say is, BUY the graphic novel of the Death of Superman storyline. Believe me, it is well worth the price. I have the original issues sealed for all prosperity.

I commented about the way Superman was drawn also. Maybe they were going for a unique look for him than what has previously been seen in other animated series, movies, etc. It should be noted that they also altered Luthor's image from previous works and the way Toyman was drawn was a huge departure from the norm..

You got me about the Teen Titans movie. If it is made, hopefully it'll be live action and not animated. The current animated series is cartoonie to the bone. Back in the late 80's, The New Teen Titans title was as big as they came with Raven as one of the central characters. If they decided to do the Raven storyline, which was one of the top 35 comic sagas imo, I would be instantly interested in seeing it.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal;1699112 said:

I agree. The title has been around for decades as early as the 50's I believe. What's corny now was probably very fashionable back then. I have a number of issues from JLA from the 70's that weren't half bad and the title was quite apt for its stories.

It's funny. In one of the episodes of JL (I believe in one of the Secret Origins pilots), The Flash made an sarcastic remark of Justice League sounding like a baseball team. I'll have to check that out. I bought the complete series, JL & JLU, on DVD a while back. :p:

joseephuss

Reaction score
DallasEast;1699122 said:
All I can say is, BUY the graphic novel of the Death of Superman storyline. Believe me, it is well worth the price. I have the original issues sealed for all prosperity.

I commented about the way Superman was drawn also. Maybe they were going for a unique look for him than what has previously been seen in other animated series, movies, etc. It should be noted that they also altered Luthor's image from previous works and the way Toyman was drawn was a huge departure from the norm..

You got me about the Teen Titans movie. If it is made, hopefully it'll be live action and not animated. The current animated series is cartoonie to the bone. Back in the late 80's, The New Teen Titans title was as big as they came with Raven as one of the central characters. If they decided to do the Raven storyline, which was one of the top 35 comic sagas imo, I would be instantly interested in seeing it.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?id=41703

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;1699184 said:
Wow! Thanks!

This could be good! But I vote no to a lineup of "Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl and Speedy" and yes to Robin, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy/Changling. In The New Teen Titans comic, Robin changed to Nightwing after the series began. He didn't come to the group as Nightwing, so the movie should do the same, imo.

I somewhat hated how they remade the Phoenix character in X3:Last Stand. They toned her character down from a cosmic scale seen in the original comic. Hopefully, WB will allow Raven's character to be unchained in every aspect.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DallasEast;1698414 said:
Well, JW, Superman/Doomsday was interesting, to say the least.

Doomsday himself was protrayed very accurately--namely, a pure, cold-blooded killing machine. I take my hat off to the producer in that regard.

Kal-El was done very well too, but they could've drawn him a little less chiseled. It made him look more 50's ish or Roger Kirby like.

I really liked what they did with the Luthor character. Brilliant, yet psychotic. What he did to Mercy was an unexpected, but refreshing twist.

Both Lane's and Martha Kent's characters were a bit subdued for my tastes.

Olsen, Perry and the rest were okay to borderline.

The action was first-rate. Heck, it was light years ahead of Superman Returns in my opinion. Superman hadn't flexed his muscles that well on video since the final episode of JLU in Destroyer.

Overall, I enjoyed the direction the movie took, but it did get away from the classic story. Superman vs. Doomsday was too short a fight for my tastes. The absence of other heroes from the original story was a huge departure which I didn't like, but it was done well enough. Finally, the death scene was done far better in the book itself.

All in all, I'll give the movie a solid B-.

I wasn't a fan of the animation. I know they were going for chiseled but it just looked like he had dirt on his face. Lois Lane looked Asian. Loved the Luthor. I actually think the Luthor in this film was better than the animated series. I liked the way they depicted Toyman. He was drawn to look like a perverted overgrown child. It made him much creepier looking. I wish they would have shown Doomsday beating up the Outsiders and it would have been neat to include the other Supermen. I'm critical but I'm giving it a C. My favorite part was the Fortress of Solitude and the robots. That kicked a#% in my opinon.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DallasEast;1699223 said:
Wow! Thanks!

This could be good! But I vote no to a lineup of "Kid Flash, Aqualad, Wonder Girl and Speedy" and yes to Robin, Cyborg, Starfire, Raven and Beast Boy/Changling. In The New Teen Titans comic, Robin changed to Nightwing after the series began. He didn't come to the group as Nightwing, so the movie should do the same, imo.

I somewhat hated how they remade the Phoenix character in X3:Last Stand. They toned her character down from a cosmic scale seen in the original comic. Hopefully, WB will allow Raven's character to be unchained in every aspect.

Yeah, I knew about the Teen Titan movie but I'm excited about the lineup. They are going for the Marv Wolfman comics of the 80's as opposed to the anime-like Teen Titans on the current cartoon series.

I liked what they did to Phoenix. In a real life movie, the cosmic scale Phoenix would have looked cheesy and been remniscient of the FF movies. The depowered Phoenix fit much more into the "real-life" theme of the X-men. I liked how the Phoenix was a split persona that she had kept reserved. It was a neat explanation.

just my 2 cents

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;1698651 said:
The sequel is going to blow BEGINS out of the water -- and that's saying A LOT.

Of course, WB is undermining Nolan by including Batman (different version, different actor) in this JL film. Consequently, I'm afraid that Nolan, Bale and co. may walk after TDK.

I understand what WB is doing. The Nolan inspired Batman is similar to what the X-Men films were trying to accomplish. They were trying to stay within the confines of reality as best they could without going too far into the fantasy realm. That same Batman would not work in a Justice League type of setting because they would have to create Nolan inspired Justice Leagure heroes which would clash with the realism of Batman Begins. And you can really do realism with Justice League. It's more on the kids/fantasy level so it needs to be more avante garde with bright costumes and the superhero element as opposed to a dark element.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods;1700455 said:
I wasn't a fan of the animation. I know they were going for chiseled but it just looked like he had dirt on his face. Lois Lane looked Asian. Loved the Luthor. I actually think the Luthor in this film was better than the animated series. I liked the way they depicted Toyman. He was drawn to look like a perverted overgrown child. It made him much creepier looking. I wish they would have shown Doomsday beating up the Outsiders and it would have been neat to include the other Supermen. I'm critical but I'm giving it a C. My favorite part was the Fortress of Solitude and the robots. That kicked a#% in my opinon.
The animation was fairly equal to that of the animated series of JL, Superman, etc, so I didn't mind it too much. I'm like you about how Superman's face was drawn. It was necessary to alter him that much.

Agreed about Lane. Her voice actress inflections had to grow on me too. Agree about Luther too. Toyman creeped me completely out. His characterization completely matched the tone of the movie, but I prefer the Toyman psycho from the Superman/JL/JLU series more.

I would have preferred that Doomsday had battled the JL as he had in the books before facing Superman. The Supermen would've been a nice touch, but their inclusion would've probably made the movie run a bit longer. It would've taken a good 5-10 minutes to properly introduce the Steel character alone, imo. The cloned Superboy and the cyborg Superman would've been great to watch, though.

If they ever do a part two, I wonder if they'll bring in the Mongol character to destroy Coast City? It would have to be made to fit this movie's timeline and placed somewhere after his death and his return to Metropolis in the black suit.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods;1700460 said:
Yeah, I knew about the Teen Titan movie but I'm excited about the lineup. They are going for the Marv Wolfman comics of the 80's as opposed to the anime-like Teen Titans on the current cartoon series.

I liked what they did to Phoenix. In a real life movie, the cosmic scale Phoenix would have looked cheesy and been remniscient of the FF movies. The depowered Phoenix fit much more into the "real-life" theme of the X-men. I liked how the Phoenix was a split persona that she had kept reserved. It was a neat explanation.

just my 2 cents
Don't even mention the current Teen Titans series. It has made an extreme mockery of the book. It should appeal to children since that is its primary market, but it's fashioned to the point that the children watching it are viewed as idiots. There isn't a law stating that a cartoon cannot be created intelligently.

I disagree about Phoenix. If they had displayed her in the film similar to how she was protrayed in the Phoenix/Black Queen/Hellfire Club storyline (before she attacked the Shi'ar), I think that it wouldn't have appeared to be 'too cheesy', but that's just my opinion. The altered Jean Grey was just as bad as the altered Galactus in FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer. I couldn't STAND the 'big bad cloud' explanation. :)

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
I understand what WB is doing. The Nolan inspired Batman is similar to what the X-Men films were trying to accomplish. They were trying to stay within the confines of reality as best they could without going too far into the fantasy realm. That same Batman would not work in a Justice League type of setting....

Question to you all posting here: Would it bother you if there was another "Batman" in this JL film, while we're right in the middle of the Nolan films? Do you think it could lead to "Batman overkill," if you will? Do you think it'd confuse the mainstream audience?

And as far as the post above, I agree. The Nolan Batman universe does not include superpowered beings, IMO. Seeing Bale milling around these walking gods, in space, battling cyborg OMACs and what-not -- can't see it.

joseephuss

Reaction score
HTownCowboysFan;1701475 said:
Question to you all posting here: Would it bother you if there was another "Batman" in this JL film, while we're right in the middle of the Nolan films? Do you think it could lead to "Batman overkill," if you will? Do you think it'd confuse the mainstream audience?

And as far as the post above, I agree. The Nolan Batman universe does not include superpowered beings, IMO. Seeing Bale milling around these walking gods, in space, battling cyborg OMACs and what-not -- can't see it.

It would not bother me. I probably would not go see a JL movie and just wait for the DVD release. I am looking forward to seeing the Dark Knight especially since I was in Chicago and saw a very small portion of the filming back in August. Plus I think Nolan and Bale really did a great job in Begins.

You are right in that some people do get confused. I have heard people not understanding that Begins was just a reboot of the character. Some thought it was a sequel to Burton's and Schumacher's movies. Weird.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DallasEast;1701114 said:
Don't even mention the current Teen Titans series. It has made an extreme mockery of the book. It should appeal to children since that is its primary market, but it's fashioned to the point that the children watching it are viewed as idiots. There isn't a law stating that a cartoon cannot be created intelligently.

I disagree about Phoenix. If they had displayed her in the film similar to how she was protrayed in the Phoenix/Black Queen/Hellfire Club storyline (before she attacked the Shi'ar), I think that it wouldn't have appeared to be 'too cheesy', but that's just my opinion. The altered Jean Grey was just as bad as the altered Galactus in FF:Rise of the Silver Surfer. I couldn't STAND the 'big bad cloud' explanation. :)

First of all, wouldn't that have been a kick a%$ idea to introduce the Hellfire Club...man...I agree with your take totally. I've always loved Emma Frost and Sebastian Shaw. It would have been neat to see Phoenix as a part of the Hellfire club and being manipulated. That would been a great story.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

For me, how it would bother me depends on how he's presented in the film. I loved Bale's rendition of Bruce Wayne, so if the JL Batman is shown as his alter ego, it would piss me off. Still, if he is only shown in his costume, AND he does as good a job as Bale did in costume, it probably wouldn't bother me very much.

At this point, I don't see it as Batman overkill at all. Right now, Batman IS the DC flagship character in the video medium. If more DC universe characters can be introduced successfully, it will all balance out in the end.

The mainstream audience will enjoy seeing a good rendition of Batman and the confusion will end there, imo.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
DallasEast;1702112 said:
For me, how it would bother me depends on how he's presented in the film. I loved Bale's rendition of Bruce Wayne, so if the JL Batman is shown as his alter ego, it would piss me off. Still, if he is only shown in his costume, AND he does as good a job as Bale did in costume, it probably wouldn't bother me very much.

At this point, I don't see it as Batman overkill at all. Right now, Batman IS the DC flagship character in the video medium. If more DC universe characters can be introduced successfully, it will all balance out in the end.

The mainstream audience will enjoy seeing a good rendition of Batman and the confusion will end there, imo.

The reason why Batman Begins was so succesfull is that DC allowed an indie film take on it. The franchise was essentially destroyed with Clooney's "Batman and Robin". DC felt like it could take a chance because the previous formula no longer worked and it became an instant hit.

Likewise, I wish they would use a realistic approach in regards to the Justice League film if they could

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mr.jameswoods;1702327 said:
The reason why Batman Begins was so succesfull is that DC allowed an indie film take on it. The franchise was essentially destroyed with Clooney's "Batman and Robin". DC felt like it could take a chance because the previous formula no longer worked and it became an instant hit.

Likewise, I wish they would use a realistic approach in regards to the Justice League film if they could
I think that you're being generous. The original Batman franchise started going downhill with the Batman Returns sequel by introducing more than one villain, Penguin AND Catwoman (who wasn't really portrayed as a villain). While Nolan was highly successful combining more than one villain in Batman Begins, Tim Burton struggled trying to do the same thing and that difficulty translated onto the screen. Michelle Pfeiffer did a fine job as Catwoman, but Danny Devito was way too far over the top as Penguin for my tastes. Plus, he didn't allow Michael Keaton the freedom to further explore his character as much as he had in the first film.

Batman Forever wasn't allowed to rebound from the slide because the whole movie was taken over the top, even though Val Kilmer did a good job as Batman imo. Jim Carrey stole his Riddler straight out of the 60's television series and Tommy Lee Jones was too psychotic at times.

By the time Arnold Schwarzenegger was flinging gosh darn awful one-liners in Batman & Robin, the damage was done. It's too bad, because the franchise started out as gangbusters and the original Batman will forever be a classic in my book.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score

Since I didn't care for Begins and won't see the new one until it's out on cable it won't bother me. I won't pay to see JL either.

JMHO

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
Since I didn't care for Begins and won't see the new one until it's out on cable....

Really? What didn't you like about BEGINS? Not a comic book guy? I'm telling you, you may be doing yourself an injustice by skipping THE DARK KNIGHT -- it's going to be an unbelievable film. I spent a day on the set and what Ledger's doing with The Joker, MAN!