Anyone notice Garre..err Romo's game management at the end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
He's not inept. He's done a good job and I hope we win next Sunday. The ineptness is found in a group of fellow fans who have a single narrative that they play no matter how a game turns out.

He has done such a great job that Jerry was already thinking about "alternatives"

If Garett loses next week he is gone

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The clock was stopped because of the penalty flag. It had not been re-started yet and the 40 sec play clock could have been running. I'm pretty sure that Garrett and Romo wanted the clock to be re-started, but didn't want a delay of game in the mean time. With out seeing all of the variables, it's hard to criticize. But they did mange to get the 25 sec clock re-started and called a TO when it hit one second.

Even if the scenario you've made up without seeing all the variables is true, the fact remains that Romo knew what to do and Garrett did not.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Even if the scenario you've made up without seeing all the variables is true, the fact remains that Romo knew what to do and Garrett did not.

You are the one making stuff up. I clearly said I didn't have all the variables. You are taking a 2 second vine and running with it. Pleas tell me exactly what Garrett, Romo and the official all said verbatim and I might give you some consideration.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
You are the one making stuff up. I clearly said I didn't have all the variables. You are taking a 2 second vine and running with it. Pleas tell me exactly what Garrett, Romo and the official all said verbatim and I might give you some consideration.

We know Garrett tried to call timeout and Romo stopped him. That is indisputable. The Garrett apologists are the ones trying to guess what happened after that.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
We know Garrett tried to call timeout and Romo stopped him. That is indisputable. The Garrett apologists are the ones trying to guess what happened after that.

The clock was stopped when Garrett was asking for the TO and there was no assurance from the officials that it was going to be restarted until after they got clarification on the penalty. The clock didn't restart in the DET game even though they declined the penalty and we lost the game because of it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

I'm not running with anything. Garrett tried to call a timeout and Romo stopped him. That's what happened and it's not the first sign of poor time management from Garrett so let's not pretend this is some isolated issue.

The clock was stopped when Garrett was asking for the TO and there was no assurance from the officials that it was going to be restarted until after they got clarification on the penalty. The clock didn't restart in the DET game even though they declined the penalty and we lost the game because of it.

How would our calling a timeout, restart the clock?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm not running with anything. Garrett tried to call a timeout and Romo stopped him. That's what happened and it's not the first sign of poor time management from Garrett so let's not pretend this is some isolated issue.

How would our calling a timeout, restart the clock?

To me, it appeared it more of a "I need clarification" to why the clock was stopped after the penalty was picked up. Again, I'm not sure if the play clock was running or not, but if it was, that would be a reason to use a TO before a 4th and goal from the 13 to win game. Are you sure it wasn't running?

50cent

Reaction score
I was saying the same thing during the game...Tony caught it and was vehemently telling the ref to let the play clock run down....Garrett must go......when you have your QB being the only person with any sense of time management on the team, then your coaches must go...Callahan should have been yelling RUN THE CLOCK DOWN, RUN THE CLOCK DOWN....but they were probably just yelling STOP THE CLOCK, STOP THE CLOCK

idiots....thank God for Tony Romo

Why didn't Romo realize time management last week on his 1st INT again?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
To me, it appeared it more of a "I need clarification" to why the clock was stopped after the penalty was picked up. Again, I'm not sure if the play clock was running or not, but if it was, that would be a reason to use a TO before a 4th and goal from the 13 to win game. Are you sure it wasn't running?

That makes no sense. Who would call a timeout to see why the clock is stopped?

Romo didn't interject to say, "Don't call the timeout.", he interjected to say, "Don't call the timeout right now." They ended up taking one, the whole point was to let the clock run, so yes, it was running.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Romo didn't interject to say, "Don't call the timeout.", he interjected to say, "Don't call the timeout right now." They ended up taking one, the whole point was to let the clock run, so yes, it was running.

Obviously you know everything that was said by everyone involved, so I'm done. Either way Dallas got screwed out of 15 secs because of the penalty flag being thrown and only 25 secs running off instead of the full 40 secs.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Obviously you know everything that was said by everyone involved, so I'm done. Either way Dallas got screwed out of 15 secs because of the penalty flag being thrown and only 25 secs running off instead of the full 40 secs.

Of course you're done. Nothing you've said in any way absolves Garrett of trying to call a timeout when he did. Instead you've created this inconceivable scenario where a timeout would have restarted a game clock that was already running.

What was said has nothing to do with this.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Of course you're done. Nothing you've said in any way absolves Garrett of trying to call a timeout when he did. Instead you've created this inconceivable scenario where a timeout would have restarted a game clock that was already running.

Yeah, that's what happened.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
This thread is comedy gold.....................the Garrettt fanboys claimed he never called for a timeout, actually called out the poster and said he was making it up. The poster then provided video evidence (which I watched myself) and clearly Garrett was trying to call a timeout and Romo stopped him.

The Garrett fanboys then changed their story from "it never happened" to "well, ok, it might have happened, but the video is out of context and we dont know what was said by whom".

Bottom line............Opie's fanboys got smacked down by videotape evidence after they said it never happened then tried to change their story.............totally busted..............epic thread!!!!

50cent

Reaction score

What was said has nothing to do with this.

Stop dude, youre wasting your time. He equated lost yards on 3rd down and a fumble LOST on 2nd down as equal bad plays even though its clear as day in one scenario, we keep the ball and in the other, they get the ball. Yea, they're both under the same BAD THINGS category to him!

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

Let's just start right here.

The clock is stopped. Players are scattered all over the field and half the coaches are out on the field. That is the perfect time to talk to the officials if you have a question about the call, but you don't need to burn your last timeout to do it. There was no threat of the next play being run right there so it's not like he had to hurry and call timeout before the ball was snapped.

And even if there was, it's not like this call was something reviewable that Garrett needed more time to look at or talk to the officials about to see if they could reverse, like a fumble. It was a non-penalty that wasn't going to be changed, and if Garrett wanted to talk about it he didn't need to burn our last timeout to do so.

And frankly, I don't believe he was calling timeout to talk about the call. I think people are using that as some sort of an excuse, but in reality that makes him look even dumber. I believe he called it simply because he was ignorant of the situation (as he has proven to be many times over) and didn't think to realize he had 25 more seconds to burn off the clock. I think his befuddled facial expression as he walks up to call timeout says it all. Dude looked like a lost dog.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score

Not to rub salt in Garrett's wound but...

What actually happened was the clock was stopped at 1:42 when Garrett tried to call the timeout. The refs had just gotten through sorting out the helmet thing and had not restarted the play clock yet.

I think what happened is Garrett completely forgot the previous play was a run and that the clock was going to restart, so he called timeout to talk over the 4th down play. The clock was still stopped at 1:42 at this point.

That's when Romo jumps in and stops him, and I'm guessing points out to his coach that the last play was a run, and that the refs were about to re-start the clock.

Garrett then uses the next 25 or whatever seconds to yell at the refs about something. Maybe the penalty, maybe something else, who knows? But it's clear as day to me that Garrett thought the clock was stopped at 1:42 and was calling timeout to talk over the final play of the game before Romo stepped in.

JBS

Reaction score
Did you guys notice after Free's false start that turned a 4th and 2 into a 4th and 7 - in the middle of the 4th, when we were down 9 - Garrett wasn't even sure if he should go for it or not? He said go for it-but was completely unsure of his decision. What a goober.

Status
Not open for further replies.