Recap: Anyone still think Dak was wrong to turning down Cowboys Deal

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
KC isn't worried about the money, so why the reference to possibly cut Mahomes in future years to save on cap.

Because there seems to be some misunderstanding here about the parameters of the deal. It's clear by the deal that KC plans to follow this deal through at least 2027. But if something were to go wrong with him, such as an injury causing his play to steeply fall off, the Chiefs would have to take a substantial cap hit to get out of it early.

Without considering the guarantee mechanisms, it looks like an extremely good deal for the Chiefs. However, when those are considered, it's more of an extremely good deal for Mahomes.

zerofill

Reaction score
You kidding me? Hoping we give Dak $70mil a year... Mahomes who?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Dak will easily get $38 - $40 per year now at a minimum thanks to Mahomes' new 10 year/$503 million with $477 million in guarantees/$45 mil/year average new contract extension.

You "don't pay Dak" Daktractors are foolish for having pushed the tag and much lesser pay which Jerry obviously listened to. Who is laughing now? Not you. It's Dak because he now knows he is worth at a minimum around $40 mil/season which Jerry will have no choice but to pay Dak since the alternative will lead to years of average play + rebuilding for years to come + playing musical chairs at the QB position.

Yup... I see $42 mil per year

TwentyOne

Reaction score
One things for sure Dak is a savvy business man. Todd France and CAA were hired by Dak and his brothers to get them to this position if Dak did his part.....

I really wonder what the Cowboys initial offer was??? In hindsight could be very insulting....

On Daks side i think he is doing fine. He will get his co tract. If not here then somewhere else.

But you are right. As a fan i felt insulted by our FO to make Dak such a high offer.

Qcard

Reaction score
One things for sure Dak is a savvy business man. Todd France and CAA were hired by Dak and his brothers to get them to this position if Dak did his part.....

I really wonder what the Cowboys initial offer was??? In hindsight could be very insulting....
So it appears the Cowboys offer was a Stephen Jones special but CAA & Todd Frances are not getting played by the Cowboys Front office....CAA can read contracts too...

It's insulting if they offered Dak less than Tannehill guaranteed???

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dak bet on himself and won. The intelligent fans, those who know he can lead this team to the Super Bowl, also won as we’ve been watching the Dak haters squirm and in the process show their ignorance. It’s been a great thing all around.
Are you all ok? When have we ever come close to winning a super bowl with dak?

kskboys

Reaction score
Because there seems to be some misunderstanding here about the parameters of the deal. It's clear by the deal that KC plans to follow this deal through at least 2027. But if something were to go wrong with him, such as an injury causing his play to steeply fall off, the Chiefs would have to take a substantial cap hit to get out of it early.

Without considering the guarantee mechanisms, it looks like an extremely good deal for the Chiefs. However, when those are considered, it's more of an extremely good deal for Mahomes.
Mahomes's deal allowed KC to keep Chris Jones. It was a great deal for the team.

csirl

Reaction score
Very wrong. He'll drift out of the league over the next 2-3 years.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Remember guys, teams set the market by offering what they believe is fair. If the cowboys made an offer then they set the market. Why are we going off of other teams?

SiCk_DiAbLo

Reaction score
When Dak lost to the Jets and the Bears, that's when he wrote his roll..I'm glad Jerry stood firm...

zerofill

Reaction score
Mahomes's deal allowed KC to keep Chris Jones. It was a great deal for the team.

His deal let them always keep the team stacked... they have so much ability to manipulate cap with that contract.

I believe like many, if contract isn't done, and we don't make a deep playoff run with this offense, he won't be here next season.
I also feel, there is some friction with Jerry and Dak, that you just didn't feel any other time. Also, I couldn't remember any QB being tagged, and playing under
the tag, and staying with that team? Then I saw a video, that also confirmed that has never happened

But, this all still implies we have a season this year. I am not so sure we will lol.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Assuming the deal was for 30m per season, he turned that down to make 2m, so he is 28m in the hole, that is lost money that can never be recovered, so ya imp he made a mistake
That's not how this works. Any deal signed would have been an extension to his rookie contract.

So if it was a 5 year 150mm extension his total deal would now be 6 years 152mm. Have never seen a rookie deal extension tear up the final cheap year for the team.

Now he's have received his signing bonus and locked in more guarantees a year sooner but he isn't "28mm in the hole."

InTheZone

Reaction score
Makes look pretty stupid doesn’t it.

so earlier losses weren't on Dak, and once again the wins are all on Dak

earlier Dak has proven us wrong because he can lead us to the promised land...but it hasn't happened

earlier Dak can't manage a comeback in his most experienced year, playing in a weak division and a healthy roster, but none of it is his fault because his overall record says otherwise.

Where were these wins when we allowed the eagles to walk into theirs and eventually led them to their super bowl? What was Dak doing in the later part of that season, just as he did last season?

Just making sure we're on the same page. It's ok to like the guy, but you know we're rooting for the same team and he's been a common denominator in all of this.

edit: removed the playoffs comment, my memory has served me wrong in that regard

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
so earlier losses weren't on Dak, and once again the wins are all on Dak

earlier Dak has proven us wrong because he can lead us to the promised land...but it hasn't happened

earlier Dak can't manage a comeback in his most experienced year, playing in a weak division and a healthy roster, but none of it is his fault because his overall record says otherwise.

Where were these wins when we allowed the eagles to walk into theirs and eventually led them to their super bowl? What was Dak doing in the later part of that season, just as he did last season?

Just making sure we're on the same page. It's ok to like the guy, but you know we're rooting for the same team and he's been a common denominator in all of this.

edit: removed the playoffs comment, my memory has served me wrong in that regard

InTheZone

Reaction score

can you answer, what did dak do to finish the 2017 and 2019 season? I'm not going to fault him for whatever happened his rookie year. 2 of 3 seasons he failed in the later part, that's not good.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Makes look pretty stupid doesn’t it.

Just maybe the talent around him has helped get to those win levels....with a better QB it would be Super Bowls. You can manipulate a stat amy way you want to.

As far as Dak goes, not sure that getting 100m guaranteed now isn't a lot better than getting 35m the next two years...say he blows out his throwing shoulder this season or suffers a career ending type of injury like Bridgewater or Alex Smith have. Does Dallas franchise him the next year? Does anyone else pay him nearly that kind of money? I'd take the security over the possible increase in payment. The thing for Dak is he has already lost a ton of money on bad advice. They were working on a deal last year before the season...say for giggles he would have got a deal similar to Wentz' deal averaging over $25m a year....instead he played for a 2m salary. So he is $23m in the hole already. Is he gonna make that up? I doubt it. I mean right now they supposedly are only a few million a year apart on a 4-5 year deal. So maybe a difference of 15m over the life of the contract.