Recap: Anyone still think Dak was wrong to turning down Cowboys Deal

Qcard

Reaction score
For starters for any player in their position to be considered in the top 5 they would need to be recognised as an All-Pro.

Pro Bowl doesn't mean much these days. Back up to the back up to the back up players make pro bowls now as guys drop out. Mitch Trubisky is a pro bowl QB. He was invited as a back up as was Prescott in 2018.

Let's revisit this conversation when Prescott is an All-Pro. It should be regulation this season given the enormous investment in talent around him on offense.
Fair enough but let's also not skew the facts

Dak has been an All Pro!

Do you remember 2016 rookie season?

So, I guess we'll wait until Dak is an All Pro again....

NotForLong

Reaction score
But wouldn't he still get his signing bonus? Its not like he won't ever get it.
Yes but last year would have been the 2 million a year with the signing bonus & this year would have been a large base salary figure.

If he signs this year he would have a large signing bonus and low base salary with a larger base salary for next year.

So unless he gets everything he wants, he did lose money.

Holding out for 4 uears over 5 years is idiotic because everyone knows Jerry would take care of him and give him a new contract after the 4th year if he wanted it.

But unlke Malholmes and the Chiefs, Dak just doesnt have the same love for Dallas & the Cowboys that Patrick has for his team

Swagger

Reaction score
Fair enough but let's also not skew the facts

Dak has been an All Pro!

Do you remember 2016 rookie season?

So, I guess we'll wait until Dak is an All Pro again....

Yes I do remember his 2016 rookie season. He was excellent and for me it was his best season to date. Had he played to that level in subsequent years then the chances are he would have been recognised as an All Pro.

The wins were great but he was so much more effective and his stats weren't padded. I'm genuinely surprised at his numbers last season because his actual play didn't replicate the same in games until it was too late in my opinion. Garbage time is a subjective term but when you watch a game you know when a game is pretty much done and Prescott/Cowboys failed to win a game losing by 10 points which supports the above assertion.

My contention is that this offense was better around a 2016 type Prescott than a 2020 type Prescott and that we can find that type of QB in the first round draft and ride their rookie contract. Rather than paying a game manager circa $35-40 million. It just wouldn't bode well for the team should that happen.

But let's see...

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Surprise Surprise Chiefs were well positioned CAP wise....when the rabbit (Mahomes) has the gun (leverage).

CAP is a self imposed crutch cheap owners and dumb GMs use drive contract leverage and disinform gullible fans

You're apparently ignorant of our CAP position and the issues we'll have in the next 3 years.

.....and yes in 2022 - 2024 the Chiefs can EASILY account for Mahomes payments, whilst we couldnt do the same for Dak.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It's not a pay as you go contract. Don't look at sites and other people's opinions, read the actual contract. The only thing that is pay as you go is the dead cap if you cut him. For every year he plays for the Chiefs his next year's salary and roster bonus, among other things is guaranteed. You can cut him, but the dead cap is anywhere between 50-120 million in dead cap. Just look at the contract.

Ya which means that on a 500m+ deal they can get out relatively cheap any time they want after the 1st 3 years

NotForLong

Reaction score
Nope!

Look at these numbers that better tell how good a QB performed compared to his contemporaries.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/qb/2019

Dak beat Wilson on every statistical number...and most against Mahomes.
When people rely on this over thier eyes: (Its easy to see where the disconnect lies.)

Quarterbacks are ranked according to DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. This gives the value of the quarterback's performance compared to replacement level, adjusted for situation and opponent and then translated into yardage. DYAR (and its cousin, YAR, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The other statistic given is DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. This number represents value, per play, over an average quarterback in the same game situations. The more positive the DVOA rating, the better the player's performance. Negative DVOA represents below-average offense. DVOA (and its cousin, VOA, which isn't adjusted based on opponent) is further explained here.

The simple version: DYAR means a quarterback with more total value. DVOA means a quarterback with more value per play.

:huh:
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

NotForLong

Reaction score
Go follow another team. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Why would he do that now? After enduring 4 years of Dak and nearing the End of his carear as a Cowboy . . . Why would someone chose a different team now.

But you are more then welcome to follow him wherever he goes

Qcard

Reaction score
You're apparently ignorant of our CAP position and the issues we'll have in the next 3 years.
You're apparently oblivious of the fact that No one knows what the CAP is going to be in the next 3 years unless you're one those ignorant people who uses 2011 CBA parameters to extrapolate CAP figures in the 2020 CBA that governs the next 11 seasons....

.....and yes in 2022 - 2024 the Chiefs can EASILY account for Mahomes payments, whilst we couldnt do the same for Dak.
Accounting for Mahomes payments over the next 3 years is by virtue of the Chiefs extending Mahomes with 2 years still left on the rookie deal, very good free agent moves and great drafting

Go sell you crystal ball myth somewhere else....we are Woke on this forum

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak will easily get $38 - $40 per year now at a minimum thanks to Mahomes' new 10 year/$503 million with $477 million in guarantees/$45 mil/year average new contract extension.

You "don't pay Dak" Daktractors are foolish for having pushed the tag and much lesser pay which Jerry obviously listened to. Who is laughing now? Not you. It's Dak because he now knows he is worth at a minimum around $40 mil/season which Jerry will have no choice but to pay Dak since the alternative will lead to years of average play + rebuilding for years to come + playing musical chairs at the QB position.

Yup i can see JJ saying right now, "Dak, Mahomes did get 45m per season, so lets start there and subtract 5m for a SB win so now your down to 40m, and now lets subtract another 3.5m cause you have never even gotten to an NFC championship game and then lets subtract another 5m for not winning a MVP like Mahomes did....see how that works Dak" we think at the most you are worth 32m. Now since you signed your tag (31.4) we are good with that for this season. Go out and show us you deserve Mahomes money this season and we will give you what he got next year?

Qcard

Reaction score
Yes I do remember his 2016 rookie season. He was excellent and for me it was his best season to date. Had he played to that level in subsequent years then the chances are he would have been recognised as an All Pro.

The wins were great but he was so much more effective and his stats weren't padded. I'm genuinely surprised at his numbers last season because his actual play didn't replicate the same in games until it was too late in my opinion. Garbage time is a subjective term but when you watch a game you know when a game is pretty much done and Prescott/Cowboys failed to win a game losing by 10 points which supports the above assertion.

My contention is that this offense was better around a 2016 type Prescott than a 2020 type Prescott and that we can find that type of QB in the first round draft and ride their rookie contract. Rather than paying a game manager circa $35-40 million. It just wouldn't bode well for the team should that happen.

But let's see...
Great post but I'll argue garbage/fake stats is a myth.

Why did Dak perform well in garbage time against defenses, at that time, they are playing a prevent defense, specifically to stop chunk pass plays?

Ps....I blame Garrett

NotForLong

Reaction score
I have said this before and I say it again. It can work both ways though. Dak bet on himself which I applaud him for doing and takes some courage if the reports of him getting around Goff money are true. There is no guarantee he is going to get that long term contract. If he gets a career ending injury than he screwed himself. Or if he just absolutely gets the Steve Sax/ Chuck Knoblach syndrome (highly doubt it) than he screwed himself. I hope he does lead the Cowboys to many SB but no one can predict the future. Sometimes one can be too greedy.

He already has it. It's his biggest flaw. The one that doesn't pass the eye test

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You're apparently oblivious of the fact that No one knows what the CAP is going to be in the next 3 years unless you're one those ignorant people who uses 2011 CBA parameters to extrapolate CAP figures in the 2020 CBA that governs the next 11 seasons....

Accounting for Mahomes payments over the next 3 years is by virtue of the Chiefs extending Mahomes with 2 years still left on the rookie deal, very good free agent moves and great drafting

Go sell you crystal ball myth somewhere else....we are Woke on this forum

Basing CAP on OVER THE CAP increases .....so dont hide behind ignorance of the figure - there's a very good guestimate of what it will be.

We cant afford.

You're comparing Mahomes and Dak .....cant do it, if you do it'll just make you bitter

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Dak and his agent are pushing their luck by expecting a dug-in Cowboys FO to settle for their demands when the option to remain with the tag is available. They could surely draft a QB early next year and pressure Dak to either be more reasonable or go elsewhere. Of course, it remains to be seen if Jerry & son decides to hold firm with the tag or give in. Eight more days and we'll see.

Last edited:

NotForLong

Reaction score
ask the Commanders how that worked out

if you want D Haskins as our next QB, keep on hoping for Dak to do back to back tags.

That’s when you are likely to see what most of us here remember happened after Troy retired. Years of incompetency and floundering around at QB. This time, it’s not likely we get lucky with the next Romo to bail us out

How are we gonna get Haskins when the Commanders have him?

Are the Commanders interested in trading him? If so I say no we alteady got our Haskins in the form of Prescott. Even though having Haskins would be better because of the cap hit