Anyone use the Google Play Music service?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Streaming service from Google Play.

From what I gather you have unlimited streaming and you can download to listen to songs later when you are off line. I don't know if the downloads are limited.

Also it appears you can download them to listen to them later but it is not the same as when you buy a CD and download it so you can save it where you want and burn it on a CD.

Seems as if it renames the album and buries it somewhere so it is harder to get to and save elsewhere.

I seen that one time you could download an APK program that would allow you to import those songs and transfer them back to a regular format you could save elsewhere but the program I found does not seem to load right now.

I though of joining the service for $1.00 for a three month trial period and $9.99 per month after that but only if I could download the songs and save them to a computer hard drive or a CD.

So I was wondering if anyone had this service and if they have found out a way to download the music and be able to move it so it could be burned or saved elsewhere?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I use it and absolutely love it!

Not only do you get Google Music, but when you sign up for it. They give you Youtube Red also! Youtube Red is Youtube with no ads. Not even those stupid banner ads.

You can download the songs to listen offline. (that's what I do when I'm driving, so I don't kill my data) Also, I use my Nexus 7 and I can download the songs and them rip the DRM off of them and transfer them anywhere I want. Though I don't really do that much since I can listen to Google Music basically anywhere. You need an Android device to do this, and I believe the app that does the ripping doesn't work on the newest version of Android. Well, unless that has changed recently which it may have. My buddy set my mine up, but I can get the instructions from him to set it up.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I use it and absolutely love it!

Not only do you get Google Music, but when you sign up for it. They give you Youtube Red also! Youtube Red is Youtube with no ads. Not even those stupid banner ads.

You can download the songs to listen offline. (that's what I do when I'm driving, so I don't kill my data) Also, I use my Nexus 7 and I can download the songs and them rip the DRM off of them and transfer them anywhere I want. Though I don't really do that much since I can listen to Google Music basically anywhere. You need an Android device to do this, and I believe the app that does the ripping doesn't work on the newest version of Android. Well, unless that has changed recently which it may have. My buddy set my mine up, but I can get the instructions from him to set it up.

I have a note 4, Galaxy III, a Galaxy Tab A and an older Galaxy S2.

I guess I could download on the old phone or tablet and rip it to a hard drive and then move it to my Note or new tab.

Do you happen to have the name of the program you used...I mind give it a go.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I have a note 4, Galaxy III, a Galaxy Tab A and an older Galaxy S2.

I guess I could download on the old phone or tablet and rip it to a hard drive and then move it to my Note or new tab.

Do you happen to have the name of the program you used...I mind give it a go.

That's exactly what I did with the Nexus 7 since I can't do with my my 5X.

I don't have my Nexus 7 on me to look, but let me toss the question at my buddy and then I will send you the info.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

From what I gather you have unlimited streaming and you can download to listen to songs later when you are off line. I don't know if the downloads are limited.

Also it appears you can download them to listen to them later but it is not the same as when you buy a CD and download it so you can save it where you want and burn it on a CD.

Seems as if it renames the album and buries it somewhere so it is harder to get to and save elsewhere.

I seen that one time you could download an APK program that would allow you to import those songs and transfer them back to a regular format you could save elsewhere but the program I found does not seem to load right now.

I though of joining the service for $1.00 for a three month trial period and $9.99 per month after that but only if I could download the songs and save them to a computer hard drive or a CD.

So I was wondering if anyone had this service and if they have found out a way to download the music and be able to move it so it could be burned or saved elsewhere?

Im gonna take the plunge. Mp3s are the last thing I pirate and I want to go full legit

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
You download whatever you want and the DRM prevents you from listening to it if you stop paying. One cool thing about Google Play Music is that if you DON'T pay, you can still take all the MP3s you own and upload them to the cloud and download them to any Google device for free.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
why would anybody pay for music when you can find anything on youtube for free?! also the music video if there is one......All I know is I havent paid for Music since like 2002......Movies and TV Shows are pretty much the same, but I will still go to a movie at the theaters if its worth seein on the big screen......I aint payin for music unless its a concert.....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
why would anybody pay for music when you can find anything on youtube for free?! also the music video if there is one......All I know is I havent paid for Music since like 2002......Movies and TV Shows are pretty much the same, but I will still go to a movie at the theaters if its worth seein on the big screen......I aint payin for music unless its a concert.....

why would anyone keep wanting free music, then wonder how come there's such a crap selection these days.

if i like the music, i pay for it. always have, always will. it's just about respect to a point.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I agree with ice. If it's good, I will happily pay for it if it's not over priced. You have to support guys that do good things otherwise, they will be forced to do something else to pay their bills. When they do that, we all lose out.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got music that I have paid for on records or tapes, some cases CDs as well...that have went missing or bad over the years.

I don't mind getting those for free because in some cases (sabbath and metallic for example) I have paid for them twice over and in some cases three times and I don't feel like paying for them four times to get a digital copy.

I am pretty OCD about buying stuff now. I have told Ice that I back them on on three different Hard drives on two different computers and also on two different micro SD cards on different devices. And in some cases...I will still burn a CD of it so I can have it in the car. So anything I buy now...I don't have to worry about it going missing or going bad.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
If you subscribe to Youtube Red, you get a subscription to Google Play Music as part of the deal. I'm not entirely sure it goes the other way around. So, $10 for commercial free Youtube and a sub to a premium music streaming service. It's not a bad deal.

Also, if you have Android, grab the Youtube music app. It streams music from Youtube and tailors suggestions based on what you like and dislike. Plus, it's Youtube, so there's a ton of stuff on there that might not be on your streaming plan.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you subscribe to Youtube Red, you get a subscription to Google Play Music as part of the deal. I'm not entirely sure it goes the other way around. So, $10 for commercial free Youtube and a sub to a premium music streaming service. It's not a bad deal.

Also, if you have Android, grab the Youtube music app. It streams music from Youtube and tailors suggestions based on what you like and dislike. Plus, it's Youtube, so there's a ton of stuff on there that might not be on your streaming plan.

Yes you get the Youtube stuff with the Google music play subscription.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

Convenience. I could pirate everything on Netflix, but the price point makes it a no brainer to just pay for it.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Convenience. I could pirate everything on Netflix, but the price point makes it a no brainer to just pay for it.

Cant think of anything more convenient than Youtube, and you can easily get a downloader extension on Chrome or Firefox to have the mp3 or mp4....Free and legal, no piracy involved......

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Cant think of anything more convenient than Youtube, and you can easily get a downloader extension on Chrome or Firefox to have the mp3 or mp4....Free and legal, no piracy involved......

Ripping and downloading entire albums would take forever on YouTube. On Google play, you find the album and press one button. Done. With that said, I don't find the price point to be low enough because I don't listen to a ton of music. Slacker had a mid tier subscription for $5 a month that allowed DRM downloads.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

not sure about that. this would still mean you can "download music for free" and get what you want w/o ever having to pay for it. most songs are 0.99¢ - is this really that tough to spring for? why do people feel that because it's for their own personal use, it's ok and should be free.

i've bought thousands of records, casettes and cd's and even mp3s for my own personal use. how many people buy a CD then turn around and try to resell it or make a living off of it? as for downloading something for google to do it:

0 results for “youtube mp3 converter”

when done in store.google.com.

sorry - i strongly view people demanding music for free to be a huge reason why music today sucks. and again, outside "personal use" what else would you buy or download the songs for?

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
not sure about that. this would still mean you can "download music for free" and get what you want w/o ever having to pay for it. most songs are 0.99¢ - is this really that tough to spring for? why do people feel that because it's for their own personal use, it's ok and should be free.

i've bought thousands of records, casettes and cd's and even mp3s for my own personal use. how many people buy a CD then turn around and try to resell it or make a living off of it? as for downloading something for google to do it:

0 results for “youtube mp3 converter”

when done in store.google.com.

sorry - i strongly view people demanding music for free to be a huge reason why music today sucks. and again, outside "personal use" what else would you buy or download the songs for?

the official videos on youtube that play ads are ok'd by the artists.....

0 results for "youtube mp3 converter" seriously? http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ and thats not even what im talking about....if you go to chrome or firefox's "extensions" or whatever they call it these days, extensions or apps they have em....if you have adblock you can find downloaders, and its up to your internet speed on how fast it is....

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
the official videos on youtube that play ads are ok'd by the artists.....

0 results for "youtube mp3 converter" seriously? http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ and thats not even what im talking about....if you go to chrome or firefox's "extensions" or whatever they call it these days, extensions or apps they have em....if you have adblock you can find downloaders, and its up to your internet speed on how fast it is....

and? yes i went to store.google.com and queried on youtube mp3 converter and that's what showed up. inside the browser extensions, sure.

as for the ads, you ever advertise on youtube? i've got videos up there and i leave ads off cause i find them annoying. even so - putting ads up and counting on someone else to cover your downloading pleasure is bull**** to me. sorry, it is. that's the same logic as people did earlier when napster was gearing up. "hey, the ads will pay for it".

do you see ANYONE hiding behind advertising making stuff free on the internet? if so, why are many now doing a subscription model so people can get away from ads and they can get a consistent revenue?

i've not researched this enough to know if artists are "ok" with people ripping the music from their videos. i used to see downloads available but i don't anymore. if they want you to be able to download it and they DO NOT CARE, you'd not need a ripper now would you?

sorry - you will NEVER hear me say it's ok for people to assume ads will pay for them to have free music because they find themselves in a position of not wanting to pay for what they love.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
if you wish to continue this, find me google terms and agreements that say it's legal to download for personal use.

while you are at it, tell me what else you personally would do with music, if you bought it. would it be any different than if you downloaded it? or are both considered "personal use"?

going to a movie is personal use but you still pay to do it. you buy gas for your car for personal use. "personal use" doesn't mean free. if it does, please show me. that's all you gotta do. show me a reputable site that says this is legal.