Anyone who still thinks Dak isn't a franchise QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Simple, If he can only perform at this level with a certain WR then he's not worth the investment. If you're going to pay a QB top 5 money then he needs to be able to have good production with various players, and Coop hasn't shown to be consistent enough to warrant breaking the bank on him.

18 games
106 receptions
1,573 yards
13 TDs
14.8 YPC

What in the world are you talking about?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of people calling people out for opinions. Discuss it, that's cool but this name calling stuff is not the way to do it, to me.

Agreed.

I like Dak but his deep passes misses will cost us, have cost us.
He doesn’t look much better at the deep pass from previous years... to me.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
18 games
106 receptions
1,573 yards
13 TDs
14.8 YPC

What in the world are you talking about?
He’s probably looked at the game by game stats esp last year to get to that conclusion or his time with the Raiders. I don’t know about this year but last year there some games where he went invisible. I think that’s what he’s talking about but I can’t say for sure just guessing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Simple, If he can only perform at this level with a certain WR then he's not worth the investment. If you're going to pay a QB top 5 money then he needs to be able to have good production with various players, and Coop hasn't shown to be consistent enough to warrant breaking the bank on him.
Hahahahaha.....you’re reaching. Cooper went from the worst receive in the league to the best since coming to Dallas I don’t know how much more consistency you need to see. Maybe you need Jerry Rice?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agreed.

I like Dak but his deep passes misses will cost us, have cost us.
He doesn’t look much better at the deep pass from previous years... to me.
He’s been one of the best deep pass throwers in the league this year. I can’t tell if you guys are joking or don’t watch the games. He and Gallup had a bunch of deep balls missed last season. This year that has changed. I think two games ago he missed 2 or 3 but that’s been a consistent part of his game.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
He’s probably looked at the game by game stats esp last year to get to that conclusion or his time with the Raiders. I don’t know about this year but last year there some games where he went invisible. I think that’s what he’s talking about but I can’t say for sure just guessing.
Could have been a jelling problem due to Coop being new to the offense. Just guessing. But yes, Coop did seem to disappear a little last year.

HungryLion

Reaction score

ive heard that argument about Cooper before. I don’t particularly agree with it. And I know you aren’t saying you think that necessarily either Phil. But just offering an explanation.

I feel like every receiver has games like that. Except for the absolute top ones like Julio, etc. Receiver production is too dependent on the rest of team. They can’t producer if the OL isn’t blocking and if the QB isn’t throwing them the ball or if the QB is having a bad game. Or if due to match ups it makes more sense to throw to the TE’s or other receivers, etc.

especially in a run first offense like the cowboys. Some games it just makes sense to keep giving the ball to Zeke over and over again.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Personally, I like Dak alot and have made that abundantly clear. I do believe he is our franchise QB. He's long since won me over. However, I can understand some not having been won over yet. They have the right to that opinion, and maybe they need him to win them over. Now, those that hate Dak for reasons I don't understand, then that is quite sad.

I will say, if he can manage to get Jason Garrett sacked, he will be my hero.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Could have been a jelling problem due to Coop being new to the offense. Just guessing. But yes, Coop did seem to disappear a little last year.
Could be but I can see why someone said that if that's what they're basing it on. The numbers just posted with no context wouldn't tell you that but game by game and at the time I'm sure some even spoke on it too. I know another Cowboys thread on another site I'm on did and outside of the big games he had had less than 70-80yrds a game to something like that.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
ive heard that argument about Cooper before. I don’t particularly agree with it. And I know you aren’t saying you think that necessarily either Phil. But just offering an explanation.

I feel like every receiver has games like that. Except for the absolute top ones like Julio, etc. Receiver production is too dependent on the rest of team. They can’t producer if the OL isn’t blocking and if the QB isn’t throwing them the ball or if the QB is having a bad game. Or if due to match ups it makes more sense to throw to the TE’s or other receivers, etc.

especially in a run first offense like the cowboys. Some games it just makes sense to keep giving the ball to Zeke over and over again.
It doesn't matter if we agree with it but the numbers and on the field eye test showed this to be true at least last year. Can't erase that away just because. I'm not saying he can't have bad games esp since I think he makes Dak look like the Dak y'all think is top level. I was just explaining as you know why I think the poster said he's inconsistent. Yeah some games it makes sense but some games like the Colts game where I remember Amari stinking wasn't one of those games. You have to go back and look at games and see how many fit your description regarding maybe the running game was flowing. The colts game iirc wasn't one of those games.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Don't know that there is a one, ironclad, definition of a franchise quarterback. I can certainly see that by some definitions and views, Dak is one

But to me Dak is not, for several reasons, among which are:

1. Too many missed easy, sure (assuming the receiver catches the ball) touchdown or game winning/saving throws. Every quarterback misses some, Dak's just got too many.
2. Not enough of an on the field leader. By that I mean I've never seen him even glare at a receiver who misses an easy catch, or a blocker that doesn't give enough effort/gets penalties nor does he exhort the players to be better, yes he high-fives them after a good drive or play, but if the team is out of sync he doesn't put the fire and energy he has to the team overall.

Don't misunderstand me, I do think he's an above average quarterback, top 10 for sure, but the "franchise quarterback" realm for me is rarefied air, the Staubach/Montana/Brady group.

Dak's not there yet, imho. He may get there, but after this long I think we'd see it. Doesn't mean he can't win SBs with this team ever, and you obviously don't need the franchise quarterback to do so (Dilfer, et al). I'm talking about Dak based on the "franchise quarterback" discussion alone, not his ability to win SBs...

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Personally, I like Dak alot and have made that abundantly clear. I do believe he is our franchise QB. He's long since won me over. However, I can understand some not having been won over yet. They have the right to that opinion, and maybe they need him to win them over. Now, those that hate Dak for reasons I don't understand, then that is quite sad.

The thing is the amount of people that "hate" Dak is soo small its silly to bring up. In 2019 people have just become more bubble like where if you don't parrot what they do you hate the next person. Its lazy and just a way to try to make you conform to whatever someone is kicking because you don't want to be saw as a "hater".

shabazz

Reaction score

There are also some that recognize that Dakota is an average QB and should be paid as such. It doesn't mean hes hated and doesn't mean he cant play in the NFL. Average at one position can still be successful if the parts around him can win as a team but there must be money to go around in a Salary Cap system.

To be honest I've never read one person insult Dakotas as a person or his work ethic. Has the meaning of Hate changed or is that a charge hurled at people with critiques?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There are also some that recognize that Dakota is an average QB and should be paid as such. It doesn't mean hes hated and doesn't mean he cant play in the NFL. Average at one position can still be successful if the parts around him can win as a team but there must be money to go around in a Salary Cap system.

To be honest I've never read one person insult Dakotas as a person or his work ethic. Has the meaning of Hate changed or is that a charge hurled at people with critiques?

Not particularly. I'm more referring to a certain poster who seems to think Dak is downright dreadful which I think he's proven he's not.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The thing is the amount of people that "hate" Dak is soo small its silly to bring up. In 2019 people have just become more bubble like where if you don't parrot what they do you hate the next person. Its lazy and just a way to try to make you conform to whatever someone is kicking because you don't want to be saw as a "hater".

I agree with you and I was wondering myself if I needed to include it.

Polkton31

Reaction score

You don't have to insult someone or question their work ethic to hate them. You could even go so far as saying, "He's a great guy" with a smile on your face, and still hate him. Hate is defined as: feeling intense or passionate dislike for something or someone. By that definition, there are some posters who hate Dak and have flown that banner over and over and over and over and over.... well, you get the point.
People who give Dak an honest critique, or a fair evaluation, are more often then not, called Dak boys, Dak lovers, Dak groupies, Dak slobbers, etc. Of course, that blade swings both ways. There are some people who give an honest critique and get labeled as a Dak hater.
Having said that, there are definitely people on this forum who hate Dak.

cern

Reaction score
He’s been one of the best deep pass throwers in the league this year. I can’t tell if you guys are joking or don’t watch the games. He and Gallup had a bunch of deep balls missed last season. This year that has changed. I think two games ago he missed 2 or 3 but that’s been a consistent part of his game.
they're not joking. and they do watch the games. that simply means their negative comments are based on nothing more than a dislike for dak. against the vikes, dak also hit some great passes to cobb, gallup and jarwin. the only thing I haven't liked recently is seeing too much Jason witten. he's a progress stopper imo.

cern

Reaction score

"haters" and "homers" are just words bandied about here. in the old days they were pro or con. but I personally think anyone regarding dak as just average is clearly missing the boat. he's much better than that. i'm sure baker Mayfield has his h and h contingent. same for obj. the list is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.