Anyone who still thinks Dak isn't a franchise QB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I still do not understand why people rely on comparing stats of one quarterback to another on various teams.

They do not have the same offensive line.

They do not have the same running back.

They do not have the same receivers.

They do not have the same defense.

They do not have the same coaching.

I have said this before but it's like comparing Formula One drivers in different cars.

Would Lewis Hamilton have won six World Championships if he was driving a Williams? Obviously not.

Would Sergio Perez have won a World Championship if he was driving a Mercedez over the past six years in place of Lewis Hamilton? Most likely yes and probably more than one.

Would Tom Brady have won six Superbowls at the Cleveland Browns? Obviously not.

Would Aaron Rodgers have won more than one Superbowl if at the New England Patriots? Obviously yes.

So I ask myself this question - what record would I expect a franchise quarterback in his fourth year to have on this Dallas Cowboys roster?
Even with this coaching, given that the QB is a fourth year starter, and, not a rookie so should have the ability to read extensive defensive coverages and audible at the line of scrimmage, then I would be expecting us to be 7-2.

There have been issues with the defense and the coaching etc but I would still expect a franchise quarterback to have won two games vs the Saints, Packers, Vikings and especially the Jets.

So that's why for me the jury is still out on whether Prescott is a franchise quarterback.

If you consider me to be a moron then that is your prerogative.

So rather than make comparisons using analytical data applied equally to all participants we should dismiss all of that and go by feelz? Stats aren't the end all be all, I agree, but applying an arbitrary standard (such as "the talent on this roster") then picking a record out of the sky to draw a conclusion is a baseless argument. There's nothing to validate it, and simply comes off as drawing a conclusion first then backing into reasons to attempt to justify it.

I don't know you well enough to call you a "moron" or anything like it, but I can say that's a short-sighted rationalization.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sir you didn’t refute anything he said? Ypu actually agreed with him smh. Y’all really need to get out your feelings y’all can’t post logically and be in your feelings.
I have no idea what you're referring to

Birdgang

Reaction score
You're being purposefully blind if you don't think there are a lot of NFL teams that would sign Dak in free agency to a number much higher than what you believe his worth is. He's played nearly 4 years with a career 97.1 rating and a top QBR over that time frame. There are a lot of NFL teams that would kill for that level of production over that long of a time frame.

Finding even average QB play in the NFL is very difficult for a lot of teams much less objectively good or above.

When you have a bad staff from waterboy to President it does not matter. Having a QB on the cheap for 4 years should be a blessing and taking advantage of. Cowboys ate like what 26 million in dead cap or so in 2017. That could of bought a lot of talent. Now you have given 2 more big contracts out Dlaw and Zeke... All with Dak wanting his and Amari wanting his. So lets say Amari gets on low end 18 mil and dak gets 30. Where do you take from to make up that 40 a year ? Who cares about production if it does not lead to an SB or at least an NFCCG

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You're being purposefully blind if you don't think there are a lot of NFL teams that would sign Dak in free agency to a number much higher than what you believe his worth is. He's played nearly 4 years with a career 97.1 rating and a top QBR over that time frame. There are a lot of NFL teams that would kill for that level of production over that long of a time frame.

Finding even average QB play in the NFL is very difficult for a lot of teams much less objectively good or above.
Yes it’s so hard to find a Gardner Minshew, a Kyle Allen, a Mason Rudolph, a... oh wait, they’re everywhere. No team is going to sign Dak to an outrageous contract unless the deal also includes 3 All-Pro lineman that comes with him. Without those assets, Dak isn’t even worth a million dollars, much less 30. If Dak was drafted by any other team, he would already be an insurance salesman. He’s easily replaceable by any QB with a pulse who can hand off and spot wide open receivers.

Swagger

Reaction score
So rather than make comparisons using analytical data applied equally to all participants we should dismiss all of that and go by feelz? Stats aren't the end all be all, I agree, but applying an arbitrary standard (such as "the talent on this roster") then picking a record out of the sky to draw a conclusion is a baseless argument. There's nothing to validate it, and simply comes off as drawing a conclusion first then backing into reasons to attempt to justify it.

I don't know you well enough to call you a "moron" or anything like it, but I can say that's a short-sighted rationalization.

I suppose my post was trying to make the point (but perhaps not very well) that comparing Dak Prescott with other young quarterbacks in the league is mostly a guessing game and in reality based on opinion yet a lot people list stats as pure facts without actually looking into them.

How can people compare someone like Sam Darnold and Dak Prescott with any degree of certainty?

Darnold played behind a junk offensive line last season and a depleted one this season. This is backed up by Bell struggling for rushing yards in every game averaging 3.1 yards this season whilst 36 yr old Frank Gore is averaging 4 yards a carry at Buffalo. Based on those stats then well surely everyone would pick Frank Gore as their running back?

My point is what would Darnold look like on the Cowboys roster that Prescott has had over the past three years and Prescott on the Jets roster over the past three years.

Who would look the better quarterback?

I'm not claiming that Darnold is the better quarterback, my point is that I do not know.

I cannot make a firm judgement on him based playing behind a junk offensive line with no running game and very few weapons with coaching that's arguably even worse than what we have at the Cowboys!

Yet some will list him as a bust and claim Prescott to be a top ten quarterback in the league not factoring in that the latter has been playing behind three All Pros on the offensive line (injured here and there but everyone deals with injuries - issue is when the full offensive line hasn't been playing Prescott has looked like a dear caught in the headlights), the leading rusher for two of the last three seasons and bar a selection of games at the start of last season, a pretty nice selection of offensive weapons.

Further all those people banging on about Prescott and his QBR this season. That's largely because it factored in 3 games against the Dolphins, Giants and Commanders when they were all god awful and arguably at their weakest point all season for various reasons. Why not judge his QBR at the end of the season as opposed to now for a more balanced, accurate and conclusive result as opposed to one clearly slanted towards favouring him?

Daniel Jones just threw four touchdowns against the Jets, how did Prescott get on against that Jets defense...does that make Jones a better QB than Prescott right now? Of course not.

My point is people just throwing stats out there to support their own narrative without really looking into the detail behind them.

dfense

Reaction score
Dak has impressed me this year. Clearly, he has advanced his craft in the off-season. I thought last year, this is what he's going to be. But his footwork and ball velocity has improved by leaps and bounds. I thought the Vikings game was a personal best for him. I would be surprised if he didn't make the Pro Bowl this year easily.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
what I like about dak this year is he seems much more in control of things. You see him out there changing the plays. You can see his throws are more crisp. That throw on our last drive from the inside his own 5 was an absolute dime.

He’s becoming a better quarterback year by year. He’s evolving. He can beat you multiple ways now.

Plus he isn’t scared of the big moment. He’s a leader. That’s everything you want in your qb. Put the right coaches around this guy and you can win a sb with him.

acer941

Reaction score
We appreciate you not being afraid to admit it. It will also help a number of us dismiss your future opinions based on this one terrible wrong opinion that shows you have zero knowledge of the game.

I come on here to discuss with like minded people not to argue with the petty few. But I am Curious about what makes you think that you have so much knowledge?

Why should you fear telling it as you see it? You said it best, your opinion is based on your knowledge of the game. It's not your fault you are a football nescient.

Same goes for you also..

Just FYI, I played football from Little League all the way to the College level. So Id say I have a little knowledge of the game.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Nobody said he wasn’t a franchise QB, there are currently about 18 legit franchise QBs in the nfl.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He isn't as Franchise QB win that game last night cause, in the end, a loss is a loss!
2-10 when King Zeke is under 75 yards where has Mr. Franchise been in those losses?
One great game does not make the frog, Snow-white......

12 TD’s to go for 30 and 175 yards per game to get to 4000. Hope you have that 100 ready.

CB61

Reaction score
Haha way to school the haters, bro.
I don't think there's as many haters that you believe there are just a lot of people on the fence about it he's a good Young quarterback there's no doubt about it but he's not a franchise quarterback. I'm sorry

CB61

Reaction score
I don't think there's as many haters that you believe there are just a lot of people on the fence about it he's a good Young quarterback there's no doubt about it but he's not a franchise quarterback. I'm sorry
Yet he has made great strides and it's in my best interest to see him do that being a Cowboy fan I still have my doubts though one good thing is he doesn't and that is a good thing

IheartRomo

Reaction score
Yes it’s so hard to find a Gardner Minshew, a Kyle Allen, a Mason Rudolph, a... oh wait, they’re everywhere. No team is going to sign Dak to an outrageous contract unless the deal also includes 3 All-Pro lineman that comes with him. Without those assets, Dak isn’t even worth a million dollars, much less 30. If Dak was drafted by any other team, he would already be an insurance salesman. He’s easily replaceable by any QB with a pulse who can hand off and spot wide open receivers.

Not worth a million lol. Well there’s no point in further conversation. The starting point is too tin foily to even proceed with a meaningful discussion. It’s been fun, sir.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
12 TD’s to go for 30 and 175 yards per game to get to 4000. Hope you have that 100 ready.

Only Skins left bud....and if you're into losing and having Dak pad his stats in Garbage time good for you.
You have looked at the schedule and what's coming up?
Let's hope its 40 TD and 5000 yards but hold a small cup as some real defenses gonna be around till the end of the season.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only Skins left bud....and if you're into losing and having Dak pad his stats in Garbage time good for you.
You have looked at the schedule and what's coming up?
Let's hope its 40 TD and 5000 yards but hold a small cup as some real defenses gonna be around till the end of the season.

I am into a real coach but thats not gonna happen. You bet on Dak not throwing 30 tds or 4000 yards. I think Minnys D is pretty good, 3 TDs and almost 400 yards. He won't be the problem.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not yet convinced that Dak is an elite QB. I think he is above average and still improving. I also think he has elite-level intangibles.

I don't know why it has to be Dak is Elite or Dak sucks. He's a pretty good QB.

I would say he and Cousins were pretty equal last night. Counsins had better play calling to protect him and was more consistent. Dak looks to have a higher ceiling than Cousins.
Cousins screen passed us to death. Dak actually had to play despite poor coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.