Apartment Living

lukin2006

Reaction score
I am deciding between moving to another house or renting an apartment...

I haven't lived in an apartment in 30 years. If I move to an apartment I'll likely never jump back into home ownership....

For those that live in an apartment. Do you like? Or would rather own?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's been a long time since I've lived in an apartment, but I remember why I bought a house.

1) Privacy
2) I can decorate or remodel any way I choose.
3) Tax breaks
4) Equity
5) I can make as much noise as I want, and don't usually have to worry about other people being too loud.
6) I never have to correct myself, when I say, "Let's go back to my house."

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I sold my house and moved into an apartment. I HATE it.

The apartment and facilities are amazing. We were the first ones in our unit. The open layout is awesome. The pool is amazing. The gym is top notch, and we even have built in grilling stations throughout. I love not having to worry about yard upkeep. The problem is the other tenants.

We have a-holes that break the rules all the time. People not cleaning up after pets, people blazing up in their apartments and stinking up the hallways, people staying out at the pool after hours. It has been horrible. We have complained and complained, and management doesn't seem to help.

I never want to live in an apartment again.

Xelda

Reaction score
With disabilities, you have to think about upkeep. Financially, homes are a great investment. They're also more responsibility. Renting is throwing money away every month but not having to worry about upkeep. Maybe you should rent for a while until things settle down for you. You'll pick a home that you like without having the nagging thoughts of pleasing someone else.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if you can afford it...house.

one apt. positive...dont have to do yard work.
biggest negative...noise,privacy,a-hole neighbors,people messin' with your car,no parking spot if you work late or on weekends and live in a complex thats full.

day I moved into our house....FREEDOM!!!!!

Xelda

Reaction score

The apartment and facilities are amazing. We were the first ones in our unit. The open layout is awesome. The pool is amazing. The gym is top notch, and we even have built in grilling stations throughout. I love not having to worry about yard upkeep. The problem is the other tenants.

We have a-holes that break the rules all the time. People not cleaning up after pets, people blazing up in their apartments and stinking up the hallways, people staying out at the pool after hours. It has been horrible. We have complained and complained, and management doesn't seem to help.

I own a home and had the neighbor from hell right next door. After over ten years the Heavens opened up, the angels sang and God said "This plague upon thy head has ended." I celebrate almost daily the fact that she's gone..

If you buy, ask around the neighborhood about the neighborhood. You'll find some with more information than others. Consider it good information from those that know.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I haven't lived in an apartment in 30 years. If I move to an apartment I'll likely never jump back into home ownership....

I guess I'd have to know how much your disability would affect your ability to do home maintenance before actually giving my advice.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I did both at the same time. Had my house in Dallas and an apartment in OK that I commuted to because I needed to have a local presence.

There is another option which I am doing now, renting a house. I've got some of the advantages Runny mentioned as well as more space. I moved to an area I was not sure I would like and am still not sure and am very glad I do not own a house.

The problem I had with living in an apartment complex was the women, they just wouldn't leave me alone. The constant requests for recipes was annoying.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I did both at the same time. Had my house in Dallas and an apartment in OK that I commuted to because I needed to have a local presence.

There is another option which I am doing now, renting a house. I've got some of the advantages Runny mentioned as well as more space. I moved to an area I was not sure I would like and am still not sure and am very glad I do not own a house.

The problem I had with living in an apartment complex was the women, they just wouldn't leave me alone. The constant requests for recipes was annoying.
And it just gets crazy when their mensies all sync up!

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apartment Pros
  • Good option if you plan to move out of the city or state in the next few years
    • You do not want to be paying a mortgage payment in your current city and rent in another city while you try to sell the house.
    • Housing markets go up and down and you don't want to be in a down market when you decide to leave or sell
  • Ability to easily move when the neighborhood gets worse.
  • Lower utility bills including some that are all electric and/or include free water
  • No property taxes
  • No yard maintenance
  • No yard tool purchases or maintenance
  • No major appliance purchases or maintenance.
  • Free cable (sometimes)
  • Cheaper insurance
Apartment Cons
  • Neighbors are close .. very close
  • Neighbors are more likely to not respect other neighbors
  • You have no yard
  • No tax write-offs
  • Kids can play directly in front of your door
  • Adults can hang out and socialize directly in front of your door
  • You have to worry about sound complaints by neighbors
  • You have to worry about noise issues with neighbors and their kids
  • Vehicles more like to be broken into
  • Parking issues even when you are assigned a space as many guests do not know or care
  • Higher in-out traffic in vehicles and on foot around your apartment at all hours
  • When/if poor management personnel take over, quality of life drops considerably
  • Higher chance of losing all of your stuff (or life) to fire due to carelessness by neighbors or their kids
  • Greater chance of not receiving package shipments through wrong deliveries or packages stolen
  • More likely to be annoyed by door-to-door people ranging from security sales to kids selling stuff for school
  • Unable to make many changes to interior or exterior areas that require modifications or attachments of some kind.

These are just a few things I thought of ..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It also comes down to the type complex you live in, I was lucky in OK that I was in the best one and best maintained but the noise is still a nuisance. And even though this was the nicest one, there were still some shady people coming and going from time to time and an awesome person with his backseat out replaced by a woofer coming home between 11-12 every night. One good thing, I lived in that complex for 9 years, the longest of anyone that ever lived there and that qualified me as resident old curmudgeon and it was all my lawn!

Since you haven't done it in 30 years, could be a tough transition on top of a tough transition but if it were me, I'd rent a house and keep my options open. In an apartment complex, you are likely to see a lot of couples and that might trip your transition a little. lukin, you need to make this as smooth on yourself as possible and control as many of the variables as you can.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Apartment Pros
  • Good option if you plan to move out of the city or state in the next few years
    • You do not want to be paying a mortgage payment in your current city and rent in another city while you try to sell the house.
    • Housing markets go up and down and you don't want to be in a down market when you decide to leave or sell
  • Lower utility bills including some that are all electric and/or include free water
  • No property taxes
  • No yard maintenance
  • Free cable (sometimes)
  • Cheaper insurance
Apartment Cons
  • You have no yard
  • No tax write-offs
  • Parking issues even when you are assigned a space as many guests do not know or care
  • Higher in-out traffic in vehicles and on foot around your apartment at all hours
  • When/if poor management personnel take over, quality of life drops considerably
  • Higher chance of losing all of your stuff (or life) to fire due to carelessness by neighbors or their kids
  • Greater chance of not receiving package shipments through wrong deliveries or packages stolen
  • More likely to be annoyed by door-to-door people ranging from security sales to kids selling stuff for school
  • Unable to make many changes to interior or exterior areas that require modifications or attachments of some kind.

Not enough, come back when you get some more.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Apartment Pros
  • No property taxes
  • No yard maintenance
  • Free cable (sometimes)
  • Cheaper insurance
Apartment Cons
  • You have no yard
  • No tax write-offs

and don't forget those danged Trick-or-Treaters!!!! :muttley:

lukin2006

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've lived in an apartment, but I remember why I bought a house.

1) Privacy
2) I can decorate or remodel any way I choose.
3) Tax breaks
4) Equity
5) I can make as much noise as I want, and don't usually have to worry about other people being too loud.
6) I never have to correct myself, when I say, "Let's go back to my house."

The equity is the thing ... I know if I bite the bullet and re-invest in another property, then I can sell in my early 60's and move to an apartment and sell and have enough money to knock off some bucket list travel destinations...

Decisions, decisions ... and this is all being forced on me. The wife walks outs. I'm left doing out the leg work.

lukin2006

Reaction score

That sucks. That's a very experience.