Apartment Living

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I am deciding between moving to another house or renting an apartment...

I haven't lived in an apartment in 30 years. If I move to an apartment I'll likely never jump back into home ownership....

For those that live in an apartment. Do you like? Or would rather own?

I just moved back into a house. THANK GOD and I'm not even religious!

Living next to other people sucks horribly.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Apartment Pros
  • Good option if you plan to move out of the city or state in the next few years
    • You do not want to be paying a mortgage payment in your current city and rent in another city while you try to sell the house.
    • Housing markets go up and down and you don't want to be in a down market when you decide to leave or sell
  • Ability to easily move when the neighborhood gets worse.
  • Lower utility bills including some that are all electric and/or include free water
  • No property taxes
  • No yard maintenance
  • No yard tool purchases or maintenance
  • No major appliance purchases or maintenance.
  • Free cable (sometimes)
  • Cheaper insurance
Apartment Cons
  • Neighbors are close .. very close
  • Neighbors are more likely to not respect other neighbors
  • You have no yard
  • No tax write-offs
  • Kids can play directly in front of your door
  • Adults can hang out and socialize directly in front of your door
  • You have to worry about sound complaints by neighbors
  • You have to worry about noise issues with neighbors and their kids
  • Vehicles more like to be broken into
  • Parking issues even when you are assigned a space as many guests do not know or care
  • Higher in-out traffic in vehicles and on foot around your apartment at all hours
  • When/if poor management personnel take over, quality of life drops considerably
  • Higher chance of losing all of your stuff (or life) to fire due to carelessness by neighbors or their kids
  • Greater chance of not receiving package shipments through wrong deliveries or packages stolen
  • More likely to be annoyed by door-to-door people ranging from security sales to kids selling stuff for school
  • Unable to make many changes to interior or exterior areas that require modifications or attachments of some kind.

These are just a few things I thought of ..

Oh you're still paying real estate taxes, they just don't come in that form. They are just tacked onto the rent payment. They always must get paid. Home or apartment.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just moved back into a house. THANK GOD and I'm not even religious!

Living next to other people sucks horribly.
The biggest disadvantage to owning a house is that, on the rare occasion when you have to tell your neighbor to quiet the **** down, it's a longer walk.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My wife and I did some apartment living when we first met. Our first apartment was on the 3rd floor. Let me tell you how much that sucked moving in and out of. So think about that depending on the complex you are looking at. The positive though was that there was nobody above us. And the way the apartments were built they're were only 2 units per top floor. So we only shared one wall with another neighbor. It wasn't too bad looking back at it and the apartment was actually pretty big.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am deciding between moving to another house or renting an apartment...

I haven't lived in an apartment in 30 years. If I move to an apartment I'll likely never jump back into home ownership....

For those that live in an apartment. Do you like? Or would rather own?
As I recall, you deal with diabilities.
Do they affect your abilty to take care of the yard, etc?

Cannot recall; do you live in or near the city? Do you want to? Or is suburb or even country life your thing?

I’ve been a home owner for 20 years and enjoy it. But the maintenance does get old...especially the pool and yard.

But many people that I know that either dont have kids (or the kids are grown up) are moving back to apartment living or purchasing nice condos in more covenient, easy to get around locations.
My divorced friends were all home homeowners, but many of the ones without kids have since moved to condos or apartments...but this is to be closer to downtown.

Last edited:

lukin2006

Reaction score
My house it the market today. It will be sold by weeks end. Already have an all cash offer in above, sight unseen...

With this hot housing market no-one even ask for inspections...

I am looking at moving to a modular estate park. I'll be to pay cash and I'd only have a 400/month maintenance fees and utilities would be halved .... total with utilities would be 600/month ...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My house it the market today. It will be sold by weeks end. Already have an all cash offer in above, sight unseen...

I am looking at moving to a modular estate park. I'll be to pay cash and I'd only have a 400/month maintenance fees and utilities would be halved .... total with utilities would be 600/month ...
At that price, you could afford a maid who gives massages!

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Apartment Cons
  • Neighbors are close .. very close
  • Neighbors are more likely to not respect other neighbors
  • You have no yard
  • No tax write-offs
  • Kids can play directly in front of your door
  • Adults can hang out and socialize directly in front of your door
  • You have to worry about sound complaints by neighbors
  • You have to worry about noise issues with neighbors and their kids
  • Vehicles more like to be broken into
  • Parking issues even when you are assigned a space as many guests do not know or care
  • Higher in-out traffic in vehicles and on foot around your apartment at all hours
  • When/if poor management personnel take over, quality of life drops considerably
  • Higher chance of losing all of your stuff (or life) to fire due to carelessness by neighbors or their kids
  • Greater chance of not receiving package shipments through wrong deliveries or packages stolen
  • More likely to be annoyed by door-to-door people ranging from security sales to kids selling stuff for school
  • Unable to make many changes to interior or exterior areas that require modifications or attachments of some kind.
These are just a few things I thought of ..
Apartment Communities yes, privately owned apartments no.:D

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I would say rent :
1-less headache and if u don't like the place u change again.
2-less space to maintain.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I would say rent :
1-less headache and if u don't like the place u change again.
2-less space to maintain.

Where I live. I will be lucky if I'm not homeless. Apartment availability is poor. Rental options are looking terrible. Where I live its rare to see new apartment construction...essentially affordable is hard to come by.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What is a modular estate park?