Apple Is the Biggest Smartphone Company In the World

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
http://gizmodo.com/5823418/apple-is-the-biggest-smartphone-maker-in-the-world

Apple Is the Biggest Smartphone Company In the World

Casey Chan — Having already bested the rest of the mobile industry in profits and revenue, Apple has finally snatched the #1 spot by volume, making it the biggest smartphone producer in the world for the first time. Apple shipped 20.3 million iPhones in the 2nd quarter, while former #1 Nokia dropped 34 percent to 16.7 million in the same quarter. Amazing. Apple only sell two phones!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;3999048 said:
I type this from my Mac Book Pro. Screw you, Apple!

:laugh2:

Is it white? If so, better hang on to it! It might be the last one ever made!

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
nyc;3999060 said:

No, but I do have an old Mac Book that is white. I didn't know they made Mac Pros that were white. Mine is Silver.

Anyway, the white casing is much sturdier material. The silver stuff is a joke.

It cost me 755 dollars, initially, to get my mac book fixed. That was until I had it out with customer relations and finally got my way.

I guess they're OK. I'm just used to haggling a little bit and getting my way. But this took a week or so and several phone calls to make me a happy customer again.

:)

In the process of all this hassle with their dufas bar nitwits and customer relations, I did end up buying one of those Lenovo touch screens and I must say that thing is pretty cool. My wife loves it.

Reaction score
You can be an apple fan, android fan, or whatever, but you have to appreciate what Apple did to the smartphone. I'm a tech savvy guy, I build my own PCs, etc., but less than 5 years ago I wasn't doing anything on my phone but making calls. Now, my phone is literally like a PC. I have my calendar, send emails, use it for GPS, etc., and the iphone is what brought about the revolution.

Iphone and Android are both great for the industry, and Apple is doing the same thing with the Ipad. Jobs' design-driven innovation is helping craft consumer technology, and it's only a good thing, even if you're not an apple junkie.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheCount;3999910 said:
My Apple stock is doing pretty darn good right now as well. :)
I heard you should dump your stock because Steve Jobs is the devil, an alien and a terrible business person.

It's a bunch of sheep buying 20 million iPhones, which model is over a year old and still the best selling phone.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;4000525 said:
I heard you should dump your stock because Steve Jobs is the devil, an alien and a terrible business person.

It's a bunch of sheep buying 20 million iPhones, which model is over a year old and still the best selling phone.

No, just you.

arglebargle

Reaction score
theogt;4000525 said:

You got two out of three right! :D

To make that claim for iPhones, you have to also grant that Brittany Spears was the greatest singer/musician for years, rather than just 'last years model'.

The user interface of the iPhone is great (hence everyone copying it) and Apple is top notch at GUI design. Certainly, a lot of crow was served up for the tablet nay-sayers.

But ya' know, there are four iPhones at the house here. Only one high end one bought at over $100 though. And they suck as phones. Continual drop calls, no connects, etc. The most tech savvy user loves it for it's internet capabilities, but agrees that it suffers as a phone. But the thing is really an iPod Touch with a poor phone grafted on.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
nyc;3999060 said:

The MacBook Pro doesn't come in white.

Sheesh for an Apple hater you'd think you'd have your hardware down.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Walked into Verizon yesterday expecting to upgrade and walk out with an iPhone. Walked out with the Thunderbolt instead and it was an easy decision.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
The Ominous;4000853 said:
Walked into Verizon yesterday expecting to upgrade and walk out with an iPhone. Walked out with the Thunderbolt instead and it was an easy decision.
Very few people seem to come to the same conclusion.

Reaction score
While it may be true that there have been far more Iphones sold than the specific Thunderbolt, it is also true that the Android platform has been adopted far more widely. Obviously this is in large part due to the fact that Apple isn't on Sprint or many other carriers, but it's pretty silly of you to act like he's in a minority of people buying HTC's Droid phones, because he's not.

You don't have to hold on to one like it's your security blanket, because they're actually both really good for the smartphone industry.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Joshmvii;4001080 said:
While it may be true that there have been far more Iphones sold than the specific Thunderbolt, it is also true that the Android platform has been adopted far more widely. Obviously this is in large part due to the fact that Apple isn't on Sprint or many other carriers, but it's pretty silly of you to act like he's in a minority of people buying HTC's Droid phones, because he's not.

You don't have to hold on to one like it's your security blanket, because they're actually both really good for the smartphone industry.
Ford fan: "The Mustang outsells the Camaro."

Chevy fan: "Oh yeah, well all Chevy sales combined are more than Mustang sales."

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
I converted to Apple a few years ago.

I'm not tech savvy at all - I just like their products cause they are very user friendly and they have great costumer service.

kapolani

Reaction score
TheCount;3999910 said:
My Apple stock is doing pretty darn good right now as well. :)

I bought a decent amount of shares when it dropped down to the $315 range. Got rid of it all when it popped during AH earnings day. That was a nice little summer present. Still holding onto my core shares that I picked up when I was buying in the $248 range.

I don't see this stock slowing down anytime soon. Only thing that can derail it would be SJobs kicking it. But, I believe he has surrounded himself with his type of people and has a roadmap for the next decade plus.

kapolani

Reaction score
theogt;4001009 said:
Very few people seem to come to the same conclusion.

My daughter's nanny just got the Thunderbolt. Have to say that it's a pretty slick phone. I liked it a lot. The only bad thing about it is the battery life! She has to plug it in three times during the day while she's watching my daughter.

If the next iPhone doesn't blow me away - or at least had a few more bells and whistles - I might have to take a look at Android. Reading good things about the Samsung and the newest Nexus.