Apple Is the Biggest Smartphone Company In the World

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Robbieac;4001489 said:
:signmast:

It's beyond me why anyone would choose any phone other than the iPhone if given the choice. And it's not because the other phones are bad......there are some other decent phones out there. However, nothing can touch the iPhone.....NOTHING!

Spectacular (iPhone) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Decent (any non-iPhone)

And this is coming from a previous Apple skeptic.....

I'm not a tech guy at all. I had a prepaid trac phone until I jumperd into the smartphone world last August. I walked into the At&T store knowing next to nothing. I walked out with a Samsung Captivate (chosen over the I-Phone) which I have been very happy with. The GPS is the only thing some Captivate owners have had problems with but mine wroks great and is used a lot.

This is an honest question, not trying to bash the I-phone or pimp the Captivate.

What does the I-phone do that the Captivate or similiarly speced smartphone doesn't do?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Vtwin;4004610 said:
What does the I-phone do that the Captivate or similiarly speced smartphone doesn't do?

There are a few things the iPhone has over Android today, but then again; Android has several things that the iPhone does not. The iPhone picked a corner and shimmed itself into that corner. What it does in that corner is very nice, but it's still stuck in the corner and that limits it's possibilities. This is where Android shines and it's only going to get better.

Android is developing so much faster than iOS. At some point even the biggest iOS supporters and going to have to think before they purchase.

IMO the biggest boon for Apple is hardware. Not that you can't buy a top of the line Android phone that easily matches the iPhone, it's the fact that people don't understand when purchasing an Android phone that you have to be careful. There are companies out there who are producing crap phones at bottom dollar (many times free with contract) and those phones aren't worth the free you paid for them.

The rule is, when you buy a smartphone; buy one with great build quality. Apple produces hardware of high quality so when you do buy one, it's hard to go wrong. That isn't the case with some of the Android phones out there.

kapolani

Reaction score
Vtwin;4004610 said:
the I-phone or pimp the Captivate.

Honestly???

They all do the same thing. Some have a better UI than others. Some have more bugs than others. But, they pretty much all do the same thing.

Take pictures. Play music. Surf the web. Make phone calls.

The breadth of apps and how well AAPL products integrate with each other is the main draw for me.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;4004638 said:
Android is developing so much faster than iOS. At some point even the biggest iOS supporters and going to have to think before they purchase.

This is also its biggest problem.

A gazillion vendors are putting out Android phones. Many vendors choose to 'add' a layer to the Android onion.

People who code for a living don't like to have to support many different builds.

You have to test and make sure that the software you write works for all the devices. This is problematic.

As a software developer do you want to support all these devices?

What if you're an enduser and you choose an Android phone that has limited software support? You're stuck with mediocre apps.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kapolani;4004657 said:
What if you're an enduser and you choose an Android phone that has limited software support? You're stuck with mediocre apps.

95+% of all apps on either device are mediocre at absolute best. Doesn't matter if it's Android or iOS app. Most just flat out suck.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;4004660 said:
95+% of all apps on either device are mediocre at absolute best. Doesn't matter if it's Android or iOS app. Most just flat out suck.

May be true.

But, the other 5% matters to people.

The better apps run on IOS devices. Plain and simple. I've mentioned many times in the past, the developers will go where the money is. So far, AAPL is attracting the better coders.

kapolani

Reaction score
nyc;4004644 said:
Nice comeback. Loved the hint of defeat in it.

Naw. Just didn't want to rile you up even more. You seem to froth at the mouth every time someone mentions AAPL.

You can just look at the numbers for iPhone's sold yourself. Your assertion that the return rate is greater than 1.7% may be true. But, the sold millions upon millions of them. So, it leads me to believe that the return rate isn't very high.

I know it's hard for your two brain cells to come up with a coherent thought, but you can't deny the fact that AAPL sold the iPhone by the truck load.

u still mad?