Apple Keynote

Rogah

Reaction score
theogt;4803095 said:
Is the use of the word "brah" a joke? Am I missing something? Is this actually used in some parts of the country?
Oh, you're definitely missing something, that's for sure. Like the fact that I don't see how it could take anyone with fewer than 15 beers in them more than 1 second to connect a 30-pin cable to an electronic device.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Rogah;4803195 said:
Oh, you're definitely missing something, that's for sure. Like the fact that I don't see how it could take anyone with fewer than 15 beers in them more than 1 second to connect a 30-pin cable to an electronic device.

The shift to the Lightning connector was necessitated by the significantly thinner phone design. So why not use an existing thin connector like micro-USB? It wouldn't play nice with the iPad. Micro-USB can only transmit 9 Watts, Apple's old (circa iPad 3) charger operated at 10 Watts. The new chargers operate at 12 Watts.

It wasn't a money grab, the decision was made in order to pursue a design goal and to allow for improvements in recharge times.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
masomenos;4803225 said:
The shift to the Lightning connector was necessitated by the significantly thinner phone design. So why not use an existing thin connector like micro-USB? It wouldn't play nice with the iPad. Micro-USB can only transmit 9 Watts, Apple's old (circa iPad 3) charger operated at 10 Watts. The new chargers operate at 12 Watts.

It wasn't a money grab, the decision was made in order to pursue a design goal and to allow for improvements in recharge times.

Just an FYI. USB 3.0 supports 100 watts. Not only can it power any tablet, it can power some full blown laptops. USB 3.0 also supports 4.8Gbps transfer speeds. It kicks the Lightning connector's *** three ways from Saturday.

The Lightning connector is based off USB 2.0 specs. A better choice would have been USB 3.0 or even Thunderbolt, but Apple didn't choose to go that direction. It's funny. The new Macs have USB 3.0, but then their PCs needed USB to support off the shelf products. Their tablets didn't.

Apple had a choice. Go standard, or non-standard. Point blank, the Lightning connector was 100% a money grab.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4803264 said:
Just an FYI. USB 3.0 supports 100 watts. Not only can it power any tablet, it can power some full blown laptops. USB 3.0 also supports 4.8Gbps transfer speeds. It kicks the Lightning connector's *** three ways from Saturday.

The Lightning connector is based off USB 2.0 specs. A better choice would have been USB 3.0 or even Thunderbolt, but Apple didn't choose to go that direction. It's funny. The new Macs have USB 3.0, but then their PCs needed USB to support off the shelf products. Their tablets didn't.

Apple had a choice. Go standard, or non-standard. Point blank, the Lightning connector was 100% a money grab.
Of course, with USB 3.0 they lose volume to a much larger plug in, and it's unidirectional.

What they did is create the best possible cable for their devices. That's just typical Apple.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4803264 said:

That's great but the 100W support wasn't approved until late this summer (right around the time the iPhone 5 entered manufacturing, actually). Clearly that was too late in the product cycle. To go thinner and retain the same power while meeting the release schedule, Apple had to rely on its own design.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
masomenos;4803642 said:
That's great but the 100W support wasn't approved until late this summer (right around the time the iPhone 5 entered manufacturing, actually). Clearly that was too late in the product cycle. To go thinner and retain the same power while meeting the release schedule, Apple had to rely on its own design.

No, USB 2.0 has been around forever and a day and Lightning connector is based off of it's specs. As I said, USB 3.0 kicks the ever living crap out of the Lightning connector.

For the consumer USB 2.0 port > Lightning connector. Lightning connector = more money Apple users have to pay for connecting their device to other things.

It's a ruse to separate Apple consumers from more of their hard earned money.

My wife has a stereo she keeps in the bathroom that she plugs her iTouch into so she can listen to music while she showers or is getting ready in the bathroom. She has had a couple of iTouches since they came out. Her stereo doesn't support Lightning connector and she said because of that, she would not go that route again. (she is upset about the $120 she spent on the stereo that Apple has decided to make useless after her current device dies) If they had just used a standard connector or stuck with the status quo, she might have bought another iTouch.

Of course, she has an Android phone now. I suspect her next stereo when she has to replace it, will be something with a standard micro USB connector. No more music only devices when her phone can do the job and won't screw her over down the road.

Jenky

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4803670 said:
No, USB 2.0 has been around forever and a day and Lightning connector is based off of it's specs. As I said, USB 3.0 kicks the ever living crap out of the Lightning connector.

For the consumer USB 2.0 port > Lightning connector. Lightning connector = more money Apple users have to pay for connecting their device to other things.

My wife has a stereo she keeps in the bathroom that she plugs her iTouch into so she can listen to music while she showers or is getting ready in the bathroom. She has had a couple of iTouches since they came out. Her stereo doesn't support Lightning connector and she said because of that, she would not go that route again. (she is upset about the $120 she spent on the stereo that Apple has decided to make useless after her current device dies) If they had just used a standard connector or stuck with the status quo, she might have bought another iTouch.

Of course, she has an Android phone now. I suspect her next stereo when she has to replace it, will be something with a standard micro USB connector. No more music only devices when her phone can do the job and won't screw her over down the road.

She can give some more money to Apple and buy the Lightning to 30-pin Adapter.;)

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4803670 said:

Stop being cheap and get the woman an adapter. :laugh2:

I'm slightly annoyed by the cable change, but in actual real life use, the new connector is definitely better than the old design.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TheCount;4804212 said:
Stop being cheap and get the woman an adapter. :laugh2:

I'm slightly annoyed by the cable change, but in actual real life use, the new connector is definitely better than the old design.

Get a USB adapter and you will think you just upgraded from hammer and chisel to a ball point pen.

btw, does the adapter handle when the device is balanced by the port itself? Her stereo requires her to place the device on top of it and it sticks straight up. Balanced by the old adapter and the lower body of the device fitting into a molded canyon.

It would be an interesting design if it does.

Jenky

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4804216 said:
Get a USB adapter and you will think you just upgraded from hammer and chisel to a ball point pen.

btw, does the adapter handle when the device is balanced by the port itself? Her stereo requires her to place the device on top of it and it sticks straight up. Balanced by the old adapter and the lower body of the device fitting into a molded canyon.

It would be an interesting design if it does.

No but there's an app for that!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm still pissed that RCA cables are no longer prepackaged with items.