Apple vs Samsung

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Everyone knows I hated Steve Jobs with a passion. I made it clear that I didn't have an issue with Apple specifically at the time. Today, I hope they die just like their leader did. They are ****.

Love Apple products all you want, but that company is is using it's money to manipulate the legal system. They will end up losing just like Oracle did when they were trying to do the same thing.

You think I'm just an Apple hater? Read for your self. May Microsoft burn in hell along with Jobs and all of Apples brass.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't get it when I hear people hate Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc. As an end-user, I love having options and I love competition in the market. Google has shown to be just as narrow-minded and self-centered as any of the companies I listed above, but I have no problem with that either.

Consumers want options and the market needs competition in order to keep the balance between corporate interests and consumer interests. I love Apple products and I regularly use several Google services. The tech side of me loves open source projects like Linux, Android, etc. while the consumer side of me likes structured offerings such as iTunes, iOS, OS/X, Windows. I think the more competition we have out there the better for everyone.

The real problem with the industry is the patent system. The patent system needs a complete overhaul. Until that happens, the pace of new technology, more competition, etc. will be slow and hindered.

#reality

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Reality;4637167 said:
I really don't get it when I hear people hate Apple, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc. As an end-user, I love having options and I love competition in the market. Google has shown to be just as narrow-minded and self-centered as any of the companies I listed above, but I have no problem with that either.

Consumers want options and the market needs competition in order to keep the balance between corporate interests and consumer interests. I love Apple products and I regularly use several Google services. The tech side of me loves open source projects like Linux, Android, etc. while the consumer side of me likes structured offerings such as iTunes, iOS, OS/X, Windows. I think the more competition we have out there the better for everyone.

The real problem with the industry is the patent system. The patent system needs a complete overhaul. Until that happens, the pace of new technology, more competition, etc. will be slow and hindered.

#reality

I don't know anything about patents. How does that system slow down progress besides slowing down getting stuff to market? Is it corrupt?

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637163 said:
Everyone knows I hated Steve Jobs with a passion. I made it clear that I didn't have an issue with Apple specifically at the time. Today, I hope they die just like their leader did. They are ****.

Love Apple products all you want, but that company is is using it's money to manipulate the legal system. They will end up losing just like Oracle did when they were trying to do the same thing.

You think I'm just an Apple hater? Read for your self. May Microsoft burn in hell along with Jobs and all of Apples brass.

Really dude? :facepalm:

kmp77

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637163 said:

That crossed the line....

The lawsuits are because of this stuff right here....

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tuaw.com/media/2011/09/samsung-copying-cjr.jpg

If you can't see that samsung copies...then you're in the wrong.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
kmp77;4637194 said:

I mean yeah I can kind of see how all those things are similar, but what do you do, forbid square adapters? Forbid having your product right underneath the cover? I mean these are devices that are small thin and flat, how much are they REALLY going to vary? Should their connectors be octagon shaped?

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Life becomes much simpler when you realize that all companies have one goal, to make money, and will do anything to achieve that goal. It's just the way it is, move on.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Reality;4637167 said:

#reality

I agree completely and this was the point if my OP.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4637186 said:
Really dude? :facepalm:

Let me guess. You didn't even click the link?

kmp77;4637194 said:

Let me guess. You didn't click the link either? If you did, you would know that Apple (and Steve Jobs) even admitted that Apple isn't good at creating things. They are only good at marketing stuff someone else created.

[youtube]CW0DUg63lqU[/youtube]

Apple themselves are thieves. You know what they do? They steal then patent the ideas they stole if they weren't already patented.

If you had any idea about what is actually happening here, you too would be appalled at it.

The30YardSlant;4637226 said:
Life becomes much simpler when you realize that all companies have one goal, to make money, and will do anything to achieve that goal. It's just the way it is, move on.

Yeah. Ignore it. It will go away. :rolleyes:

This is a *real* issue. I have no issue with Apple selling technology. What I freaking hate is their attempt to stifle competition. Especially when they are the ones who are stealing. If you had read the article, you would know that Apple is using Samsung technology and has refused to pay any royalties to Samsung. So, without Samsung's technology that they are not paying for, the iPhone would not be a phone at all. Apple refuses to pay for the technology. Samsung says Apples patents are invalid and have proof of it, yet still offered to pay a licensing fee, but instead of negotiating that fee, Apple wants to completely remove Samsung's products from the market so Apple can eliminate all competition to the iPhone and iPad.

That is abuse of the patent system and that is an attempt to create a monopoly. (yeah, also illegal)

Anyone who supports what Apple is doing here has no real understanding of the implications of what Apple is doing. Even if they like Apples products, they are still limiting their future options by supporting them. When they decide that they would like to use a competing product, that product won't be there because Apple had it ban because the edges weren't square. :facepalm:

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637246 said:
Let me guess. You didn't even click the link?

Let me guess. You didn't click the link either? If you did, you would know that Apple (and Steve Jobs) even admitted that Apple isn't good at creating things. They are only good at marketing stuff someone else created.

[youtube]CW0DUg63lqU[/youtube]

Apple themselves are thieves. You know what they do? They steal then patent the ideas they stole if they weren't already patented.

If you had any idea about what is actually happening here, you too would be appalled at it.

This is a *real* issue. I have no issue with Apple selling technology. What I freaking hate is their attempt to stifle competition. Especially when they are the ones who are stealing. If you had read the article, you would know that Apple is using Samsung technology and has refused to pay any royalties to Samsung. So, without Samsung's technology that they are not paying for, the iPhone would not be a phone at all. Apple refuses to pay for the technology. Samsung says Apples patents are invalid and have proof of it, yet still offered to pay a licensing fee, but instead of negotiating that fee, Apple wants to completely remove Samsung's products from the market so Apple can eliminate all competition to the iPhone and iPad.

That is abuse of the patent system and that is an attempt to create a monopoly. (yeah, also illegal)

Anyone who supports what Apple is doing here has no real understanding of the implications of what Apple is doing. Even if they like Apples products, they are still limiting their future options by supporting them. When they decide that they would like to use a competing product, that product won't be there because Apple had it ban because the edges weren't square. :facepalm:

I honestly don't think I've ever met someone who hates someone or something like Steve Jobs/Apple as much as you clearly do. I mean were you fired from there? Did Steve Jobs steal an ex from you? You're clearly bitter about something because I always see you talking negatively about Apple.

Who goes around saying the company should die just like the founder? You sound like a toddler.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637246 said:

Is *****ing about it any more productive? Neither philosophy is going to change anything but I'll enjoy life a lot more without worrying about what I can't change.

Apple is a private coorporation using any and all means through which the free market allows to make money. A lot of the stuff they and many others do is sketchy or downright immoral, but it's just the way it is. When corporations like Apple fail they do so because of their own missteps, not any actions taken by people like you and me. As long as they make quality products, people will buy them. Stop worrying about it.

And for the record, every famous innovator stole products or ideas. Edison, Einstein, Gutenberg, Tesla, Newton, Franklin, etc. all used ideas or products that they didn't come up with to further their work and without permission of those who came up with them. Without the theft of ideas, the printing press, audio recording devices, and much of our understanding of science, math and physics would not exist. The theory of evolution? We know of at least three others who came up with it before Darwin and Darwin admitted that it was not an original idea, he was just the first to provide muntains of sound data and thus we remember him.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
It's clear that Jobs was talkin about "stealing" ideas from other disciplines and integrating them into technology. Hence the mention of musicians, zoologists, poets, etc.

Picasso's "great artists steal" quote makes the distinction between copying the work of those who came before you and stealing outside concepts in order to create something new. The great artists of the future will steal from heretofore untapped, unintegrated concepts. The good artists of the future will simply copy the great work of those who came before them. It's an important distinction.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, Apple is one of the worst tech companies out there right now, if not the worst.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
masomenos;4637373 said:
It's clear that Jobs was talkin about "stealing" ideas from other disciplines and integrating them into technology. Hence the mention of musicians, zoologists, poets, etc.

Picasso's "great artists steal" quote makes the distinction between copying the work of those who came before you and stealing outside concepts in order to create something new. The great artists of the future will steal from heretofore untapped, unintegrated concepts. The good artists of the future will simply copy the great work of those who came before them. It's an important distinction.

Glad you pointed the Picasso quote out.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
masomenos;4637373 said:

Name something Apple invented that doesn't have prior art. You can't.

PC? No. MP3 player? No. iPad? Nope, prior art. iTunes? Nope, definitely not a new idea. Touch screen smartphone with rounded corner? No. Hell, I owned a Pocket PC in 2002. Five years before the iPhone.

Even OSX's roots are from FreeBSD.

Apple is a marketing company. They invent nothing (and I mean NOTHING), they only take other peoples ideas and market them far better.

Apple is a thief, but I'm okay with that. Everyone does it. The problem I have with Apple is they not only steal and ignore the fact that they stole, but then claim everyone else stole from them (they didn't) and then try to stifle their competition with those claims.

This is a straight up business ethics issue and Apple has exactly none.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4637340 said:
Is *****ing about it any more productive? Neither philosophy is going to change anything but I'll enjoy life a lot more without worrying about what I can't change.

Apple is a private coorporation using any and all means through which the free market allows to make money. A lot of the stuff they and many others do is sketchy or downright immoral, but it's just the way it is. When corporations like Apple fail they do so because of their own missteps, not any actions taken by people like you and me. As long as they make quality products, people will buy them. Stop worrying about it.

And for the record, every famous innovator stole products or ideas. Edison, Einstein, Gutenberg, Tesla, Newton, Franklin, etc. all used ideas or products that they didn't come up with to further their work and without permission of those who came up with them. Without the theft of ideas, the printing press, audio recording devices, and much of our understanding of science, math and physics would not exist. The theory of evolution? We know of at least three others who came up with it before Darwin and Darwin admitted that it was not an original idea, he was just the first to provide muntains of sound data and thus we remember him.

I'm thinking you need to take a history lesson. Change doesn't happen unless does something about it. (yeah, including *****ing about it)

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637410 said:
Apple is a thief, but I'm okay with that. Everyone does it. The problem I have with Apple is they not only steal and ignore the fact that they stole, but then claim everyone else stole from them (they didn't) and then try to stifle their competition with those claims.

This is a straight up business ethics issue and Apple has exactly none.

That's a fair point but every company does that. Every company steals from other companies. As soon as they realize the product they've created will be successful they try and protect it. Most business is war at that level. They do whatever it takes to win.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637412 said:
I'm thinking you need to take a history lesson. Change doesn't happen unless does something about it. (yeah, including *****ing about it)

The person who needs the history lesson is the one who believes the theft of ideas is a new concept, and the history of the free market shows time and again that most limiting factors are on the production side.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4637424 said:
The person who needs the history lesson is the one who believes the theft of ideas is a new concept, and the history of the free market shows time and again that most limiting factors are on the production side.

It appears reading comprehension is another class you need to take as I never said any such thing. In fact, I've said all companies do it and that I don't actually have a problem with that part of it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4637422 said:
That's a fair point but every company does that. Every company steals from other companies. As soon as they realize the product they've created will be successful they try and protect it. Most business is war at that level. They do whatever it takes to win.

No, all companies do not do what Apple is doing. If this were true, Samsung could have prevented the iPhone from ever being released. Did they? No. They let it be released. As a matter of fact, Nokia too could have slammed the door shut on the iPhone if they wanted too also.

Apple, Microsoft, and Oracle all go nuclear against their competition. You are completely wrong. Most businesses do not do this.

Please, go back and read the link I left in the OP.