Apple vs Samsung

nablives

Reaction score
I'm not an Apple fan, but every time a buddy tries to suggest their smart phone is better, I proudly schwack them with my new iPhone. I really hate that it's the current industry standard, but it's pretty frickin' hot. :(

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637437 said:
No, all companies do not do what Apple is doing. If this were true, Samsung could have prevented the iPhone from ever being released. Did they? No. They let it be released. As a matter of fact, Nokia too could have slammed the door shut on the iPhone if they wanted too also.

Apple, Microsoft, and Oracle all go nuclear against their competition. You are completely wrong. Most businesses do not do this.

Please, go back and read the link I left in the OP.

I haven't read the link in the OP but I think I get the gist of it through some quick skimming. I've also read and heard about similar stories. As Reality mentioned, you hear this with google all of the time.

I know about Apple and its ego. They think they are better than everyone else and that they can do it better than everyone else. That's what makes them so successful. I think deep down within the culture of the company they think they are doing society a favor by stopping other products from entering the marketplace because it will never be better than theirs. It's good they do it if the other products are truly inferior. Think about all of the waste an inferior product creates. But, as you said this absolutely has the potential to be a serious problem if they become a monopoly. They aren't there yet. I'm sure in time, if it gets to that point, the government will step in. People aren't as stupid as they were a few years ago when emotion came long before thinking. I think as a country we are understanding the benefits and downfalls of capitalism. There's been a lot of trial and error; Microsoft being an example. The market has a way of speaking for itself.

I think it's good people bring this sort of thing to light because in the long run it benefits the market. It keeps competition strong. You should never stop bringing things like this up. I just had a problem with you saying it should die like its founder. It diminishes your efforts. It's hard to take someone serious who says something like that.

I agree that you have an argument but it hasn't gotten out of control YET. There's no doubt it could though. It's something to keep a close eye on.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4637410 said:
Name something Apple invented that doesn't have prior art. You can't.

PC? No. MP3 player? No. iPad? Nope, prior art. iTunes? Nope, definitely not a new idea. Touch screen smartphone with rounded corner? No. Hell, I owned a Pocket PC in 2002. Five years before the iPhone.

Even OSX's roots are from FreeBSD.

Apple is a marketing company. They invent nothing (and I mean NOTHING), they only take other peoples ideas and market them far better.

Apple is a thief, but I'm okay with that. Everyone does it. The problem I have with Apple is they not only steal and ignore the fact that they stole, but then claim everyone else stole from them (they didn't) and then try to stifle their competition with those claims.

This is a straight up business ethics issue and Apple has exactly none.

You missed the point: it's not about tapping into the ether and inventing something new, it's about combining ideas from multiple disciplines in order to create a better product.

Lets go back to the Picasso quote. By and large, Apple created (through their own ideas and he ideas of others) the modern smartphone experience and the modern tablet experience. The iPhone and the iPad represented sea changes for both product fields. Now, if you buy a smartphone you get the same general experience as the iPhone. If you buy a tablet you get the same general experience as the iPad. In light of Picasso's quote, they are the results of "good artists" who have copied. The "great artist" is Apple, the company that built this now-standard experience by combining multiple technologies into genre-defining devices. Could they have gotten there on their own? No. Would those markets be the same without Apple's creations? No.

Marketing only matters so much. You bring people to your products through marketing, the products themselves are what retain customers.

kmp77

Reaction score
Apple came out with the iPhone...now that's what competitors phones look like.

Apple came out with the iPad...now that's what competitors tablets look like.

Apple came out with the Macbook air...now that's what competitors ultrabooks look like.

If every time you came out with a new design and set industry trends, you'd get upset too if everyone copied too. These other companies could have easily created the phone/tablet/ultrabook trend too first...but they didn't.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
kmp77;4637512 said:

Apple came out with the Macbook air...now that's what competitors ultrabooks look like.

If every time you came out with a new design and set industry trends, you'd get upset too if everyone copied too. These other companies could have easily created the phone/tablet/ultrabook trend too first...but they didn't.

This image is of Samsung phones from 2006. A year prior to the iPhone's release. Round corners and all.

Samsung_2006_Designs_Wide.jpg

Microsoft came out with a tablet and then Apple created the iPad. Have you ever seen the movie 2001: A Space Oddyssey?

[youtube]JQ8pQVDyaLo[/youtube]

Yeah, the iPad was Apple's idea. Their invention, their creation. :rolleyes:

The "Ultrabook" definition was created by Intel. Intel doesn't make laptops, they make parts for laptops. Guess who makes parts for Apple's laptops? Yeah, Intel. Making a laptop thinner and thinner and lighter and lighter has been a process that has been on-going since laptops were invented. Again, not an Apple invention.

Did you hear the news from a court ruling in the UK requiring Apple to post notice that Samsung did not copy Apple?

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
Isn't this kind of like saying someone is copying you for making a car rim and the rim is round?

I mean, how many shapes should and could a tablet be? Who wants to use heavy laptops? These things aren't copying. These things are common sense.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
kmp77;4637512 said:

:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Omg stop it!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4638089 said:
I don't think I've been alive long enough to know, but, aren't these the type of things that usually catch up to companies and hurt them in the long run?

Actually yes. Or as Hinduism and Buddhism put it. Karma.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
kmp77;4637512 said:

The tablet. Originally thought up and mocked up in 1994.
article-1381528-0BCF853400000578-174_468x453.jpg

I forget the name of it but Sony had a super thin laptop well before the macbook air.

Funny thing about the iphone is there were touch screen phones with places to purchase apps well before it. They could even copy and paste and send mms too.

oh and if you think that all the other phones look like the iphone you need your eyes checked

also, your slide to unlock patent is pure garbage == [youtube]Tj-KS2kfIr0[/youtube]

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I didn't click on the link but I could care less.

I use the iphone because I feel like it's the best phone on the market. If someone makes something better i'll switch to their product.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
CATCH17;4638379 said:
I didn't click on the link but I could care less.

I use the iphone because I feel like it's the best phone on the market. If someone makes something better i'll switch to their product.

"Couln't" care less. ;)

...and Ragu Effect. You haven't tried Jelly Bean. :)

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4638089 said:
I don't think I've been alive long enough to know, but, aren't these the type of things that usually catch up to companies and hurt them in the long run?

This isn't the first or the last. I'm sure the entire tech industry as a whole is going to start declaring war on Apple as Apple has already declared war on everyone else.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4638533 said:
This isn't the first or the last. I'm sure the entire tech industry as a whole is going to start declaring war on Apple as Apple has already declared war on everyone else.

I'm sure they will too. Personally, I think people love to read the things you've posted and love to have a reason to switch products and talk about why they've switched. I don't know why, maybe it's just a part of human nature.

On another note, I love Apple and I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs. I've bought their product for years. I've always acted as a non paid spokesperson for them. I won't sit here and pretend like I don't see what's going on though. If they continue to go after everyone for taking their ideas while they have no problem taking other ideas it will catch up to them. Other industries are more of a community and recognize that everyone uses each other as inspiration to a certain extent. Apple is just being caddy about it and if anything it shows weakness or fear that they will lose customers.

I'm also sure companies like samsung have found lesser known products to use as inspiration. Those companies probably feel like Samsung does while they fight Apple.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4638592 said:
I'm sure they will too. Personally, I think people love to read the things you've posted and love to have a reason to switch products and talk about why they've switched. I don't know why, maybe it's just a part of human nature.

On another note, I love Apple and I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs. I've bought their product for years. I've always acted as a non paid spokesperson for them. I won't sit here and pretend like I don't see what's going on though. If they continue to go after everyone for taking their ideas while they have no problem taking other ideas it will catch up to them. Other industries are more of a community and recognize that everyone uses each other as inspiration to a certain extent. Apple is just being caddy about it and if anything it shows weakness or fear that they will lose customers.

I'm also sure companies like samsung have found lesser known products to use as inspiration. Those companies probably feel like Samsung does while they fight Apple.

All I want is for them to both put out compelling products and let the consumers decide which product they prefer. That isn't what Apple wants because Apple is already losing the battle. Android phones already out number iPhones almost 2-1. Apple knows that the Android tablets are going to do the same thing. They are cheaper and Android is evolving faster than Apple can with iOS. This not only means Android in the end will be a superior product to iOS, but the fact that Android products are cheaper will force Apple to lower it's margins.

Apple lower it's margins to the red-line? The margins that has made it so cash fat? That is like up rooting an average middle class American and making him survive on a half a bowl of porridge a day. Apple isn't scared of Android. They are absolutely terrified.